Author Topic: Recommendations for a blood pressure monitors for home use  (Read 2541 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Recommendations for a blood pressure monitors for home use
« on: 19 July, 2018, 07:12:13 pm »
What would you recommend and why.  Is there an body that tests the machines?  Looked on the internet and have seen webpages such as blood pressure uk and they link to the british hypertension society.

Any advice?

Chris S

Re: Recommendations for a blood pressure monitors for home use
« Reply #1 on: 19 July, 2018, 07:14:22 pm »
I bought the same make and model my GP used. Seemed like a reasonable idea.

Click Me

« Reply #2 on: 19 July, 2018, 07:50:01 pm »
Omron M2 Basic, £24 on Amazon, does what it says on the tin.

« Reply #3 on: 19 July, 2018, 08:47:21 pm »
Yes, Omron M2 Basic, pharmacies sell them.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 19 July, 2018, 11:11:32 pm »
I have an Omron M2, parents an M3.

I am happy with my M2.

As the others have posted, it does what it says on the tin. I think it's phenomenally good value for money. These things cost BIG MONEY when I were a lass but don't any more.

I don't need to track my blood pressure but would personally be too mean to spend lots more for extra bells and whistles if I did.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 19 July, 2018, 11:48:27 pm »
We have one similar to Chris S's but it is called a "Measupro". Its "cuff" is designed to wrap around the upper arm, just as our doctor's does.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #6 on: 20 July, 2018, 12:54:34 am »
I bought a £20 jobbie from my chemist. Seems to give the same measurements as my docs and my sisters fancy ones wot cost hundreds.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 20 July, 2018, 01:14:34 am »
I am given to understand that blood pressure measurement at the wrist is inaccurate.

I have read nothing to suggest that cheap basic upper arm machines are inaccurate.

Some hospital machines are Omron.

I don't think you can go wrong with something like the Omron M2. Compatible spares, like cuffs of different sizes, are easily available. It uses standard disposable batteries and has a jack plug for a mains adaptor if you are so inclined.

ETA There might be cheaper offerings for the M2 on ebay.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 20 July, 2018, 08:36:28 am »
Wrist cuff models have to contend with tendons.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9 on: 20 July, 2018, 01:17:05 pm »
Omron are great. We have the model that connects via bluetooth to a mobile so that readings can be transferred and recorded. That is useful, but you can just write the readings down.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #10 on: 22 July, 2018, 01:19:59 pm »
I had my blood pressure taken this morning with a machine that had a manually pumped bulb and a built-in stethoscope.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #11 on: 22 July, 2018, 01:37:31 pm »
Did it have a mercury manometer for that added authentic, homely nostalgic feel?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 22 July, 2018, 01:40:27 pm »
Thing about those, is that - given a competent user (and even I can manage it) - they actually work.  These newfangled digital ones seem to apply a randomosity algorithm second only to the one nPower use for estimating meter readings (of course, that could just be my blood pressure).  Been a while since I saw a mercury one, thobut.  Elfin safe tea presumably dictates spring dial pressure gauges.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13 on: 22 July, 2018, 01:56:22 pm »
I think the algorithm 'Intellisense' is fairly simple and sensible. It's designed to keep your arm as comfortable as possible whilst maintaining accuracy. (I suppose this also helps conserve batteries.)

AIUI it only inflates the cuff a small amount over the last recorded systolic pressure.

Try to avoid checking your pressure when you're ANGRY!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #14 on: 22 July, 2018, 02:30:57 pm »
I think the algorithm 'Intellisense' is fairly simple and sensible. It's designed to keep your arm as comfortable as possible whilst maintaining accuracy. (I suppose this also helps conserve batteries.)

AIUI it only inflates the cuff a small amount over the last recorded systolic pressure.

Out of interest I did once. After a particularly frustrating conversation with “cow-worker who is the biggest waste of oxygen on the planet” my normal level had risen to “blues and twos” inducing levels.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #15 on: 22 July, 2018, 03:56:06 pm »

Out of interest I did once. After a particularly frustrating conversation with “cow-worker who is the biggest waste of oxygen on the planet” my normal level had risen to “blues and twos” inducing levels.

This will sentence you to vice-grip like inflation the next time you measure your pressure.

My blood pressure is VERY sensitive to any stress; this is normal. If you're normally fairly chilled-out, make sure you are when you measure your blood pressure.

« Reply #16 on: 22 July, 2018, 06:58:14 pm »

The nurse suggested my blood pressure was a bit high (148/85) as I went into theatre for my detached retina repair, under local only. The surgeon pointed out that I might be a bit stressed...

This will sentence you to vice-grip like inflation the next time you measure your pressure.

My blood pressure is VERY sensitive to any stress; this is normal. If you're normally fairly chilled-out, make sure you are when you measure your blood pressure.