Author Topic: SON dynohub not working  (Read 1352 times)

SON dynohub not working
« on: 06 September, 2018, 03:27:02 pm »
my SON dynohub not working - I've tested it and know it's the hub - I've cleaned the contacts to no avail...what else could it be? anything else I can do before dismantling the wheel and sending the hub back to Germany?

thanks
LBR

Re: SON dynohub not working
« Reply #1 on: 06 September, 2018, 03:38:15 pm »
they do fail occasionally.  But how have you tested it, exactly?    Best to be 100% sure....

cheers

« Reply #2 on: 06 September, 2018, 03:50:15 pm »
I have another wheel with dynohub in another bike, so tested by simply swapping the wheels over

« Reply #3 on: 06 September, 2018, 04:11:05 pm »
No idea why it wouldn't work, though I do have some recent experience in having one repaired.
Schmidt don't want to deal direct with UK customers anymore, they like you to go through SJS. If it's the classic model it won't need to be removed from the wheel.  If  it's failed in the 5 year warranty period and a model that needs to come out of the wheel, they'll do that and rebuild it for you. Mine was returned pretty quick, about 10 days, but SJS only send them once a week so if you're unlucky it'll be a bit longer.

« Reply #4 on: 06 September, 2018, 04:21:45 pm »
No idea why it wouldn't work, though I do have some recent experience in having one repaired.
Schmidt don't want to deal direct with UK customers anymore, they like you to go through SJS. If it's the classic model it won't need to be removed from the wheel.  If  it's failed in the 5 year warranty period and a model that needs to come out of the wheel, they'll do that and rebuild it for you. Mine was returned pretty quick, about 10 days, but SJS only send them once a week so if you're unlucky it'll be a bit longer.

The bearings on my SON 28 started to fail after about 4 1/2 years (I think may have been my fault, as I had greased the skewer, which apparently you're not meant to do, as it affects a venting port), I was able to return the entire wheel (via SJS) and Schmidt service the hub and sent it back, all under warranty. 5 years later it's still fine (I haven't greased the skewer since). I never had a problem with the dynamo side of things, though
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #5 on: 06 September, 2018, 06:29:11 pm »
I sent one of my classic SON 28 hubs back in its wheel via SJS with slightly wobbly bearings - it was older then 5 years.
Returned refurbished and good as new in under 3 weeks. No charge.

« Reply #6 on: 06 September, 2018, 06:51:45 pm »
If  it's failed in the 5 year warranty period and a model that needs to come out of the wheel, they'll do that and rebuild it for you.

Bingo! thanks, I thought it was older, but upon checking I see I bought it from SJS in November 2014  :)

I've emailed SJS to ask about returns procedure

thanks again

« Reply #7 on: 06 September, 2018, 08:43:50 pm »
a thought; some hub generators/lamps have an earth return connection and even though you might plug two wires into the hub, one of them might not be doing anything and you wouldn't know, the connection might be made through the earth return.

SON generators have no earth return connection so won't work in the same way. Thus if your other bike has (say) an older shimano generator (which has an earth return despite also have a two-wire connection) it could work with one generator but not with a SON if the wiring is a bit flakey.

cheers

« Reply #8 on: 07 September, 2018, 09:20:47 am »
The way to test a hub dynamo is to have a working spare/old light to plug in directly to the hub, not otherwise connected to any part of the bike