Author Topic: Dunwich Dynamo, 1st July 2023.  (Read 19170 times)

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
Re: Dunwich Dynamo, 1st July 2023.
« Reply #50 on: 13 March, 2023, 02:43:17 pm »
 :( :( This means I cannot add you to my list of folks OTP (or others) that I have verified as being a genuine flesh and bone body person (as opposed to haunted pixels).

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #51 on: 13 March, 2023, 07:15:55 pm »
Put it in my diary for this year, as I'll probably not be doing an extended tour.  Was thinking of making a shorter tour/long weekend of it and heading back west to Ely afterwards, possibly with a little coastal jaunt or something.  Might be the excuse to pull my finger out and sort out the recumbent.

Is there a GPX route published at all? I know it's very much a "turn up and go, minimally organised" type of event.

Not officially, but here's one https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28157346

Mango Smith

• Dawdling around Norfolk, 74" at a time.
« Reply #52 on: 29 March, 2023, 09:01:46 am »
Looking forward to it, as a Dunwich virgin. Just trying to organise transport there, as I don't fancy the train from Norwich - happy to split travel costs if anyone from Norfolkshire fancies it...

« Reply #53 on: 30 March, 2023, 01:45:33 pm »
I might be in this year, having perhaps worked out a better way home than trying to fathom Greater Anglia's inability to provide consistent information about what is and isn't OK.

« Reply #54 on: 30 March, 2023, 06:13:49 pm »
Greater Anglia trains is easy for for the Dunwich Dynamo.  You just assume that any station you can reach in 4 - 5 hours of easy cycling won't be taking bikes that day. :demon:
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #55 on: 30 March, 2023, 07:06:00 pm »
Greater Anglia trains is easy for for the Dunwich Dynamo.  You just assume that any station you can reach in 4 - 5 hours of easy cycling won't be taking bikes that day. :demon:

Ha. Before the plague I'd run up to Lowestoft, but last year - it's not that they _weren't_ taking bikes from Lowestoft, and it's not that they _were_, but they couldn't consistently state that they were or were not.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #56 on: 30 March, 2023, 07:10:15 pm »

I can't recall who it was, but someone on here last year cycled from Dunwich to the ferry between Felixstowe and Harwich, and caught  train to London from there. It seemed to work fairly well for them.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #57 on: 30 March, 2023, 08:39:29 pm »
In 2021 Despeuch and I rode back down the coast via: Buttley Creek, Deben and Stour ferries. Breakfast #1 cooked on the beach, (bacon sarnies); #2 at the café in Thorpeness; lunch at the Boathouse café in Bawdsey, while waiting for the ferry over the Deben; icecream in Felixstowe (and a nap on a bench by the promenade); pub stop at the Maybush in Gt Oakley; fish'n'chips and another pint in Walton. Bivvy at a seekrit location, then to the Colne ferry from Point Clear over to East Mersea, after a Wetherspoons breakfast in Clacton. Home for lunch. Oh and not forgetting elevenses at Tiptree Jam Factory - the treats just kept coming!

I'd be up for something similar this time - the subject of the DunRun did come up at the pub last night. Forward planning has started!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #58 on: 30 March, 2023, 10:36:50 pm »
I'm probably going to have a crack at it on my leccy bike. The battery is probably good for about half the distance, but assuming there are a couple of scout huts open again this year, I reckon I should be able to scrounge sufficient electrons to finish the job. I would then leave the bike with My Mate Terry Who Art in Sibton and drive up to get it a day or two later. Or maybe ride back again over a couple of days. That worked really well when Jane and I did that a few years back.

I'll be in my 70th year by 1st July, so I reckon I can afford to treat myself a bit...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #59 on: 03 April, 2023, 10:16:36 am »
I'm looking at planning a route back westwards, possibly with a little northerly excursion to Southwold.   The tricky bit for me will be getting across the A11 and A12, with a possible cheeky bivvy somewhere about Thetford or so leaving a nice easy Sunday morning run-in.  Need to scour the maps for crossings and work back from there.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #60 on: 04 April, 2023, 12:21:01 pm »
My commitments for the w/e of July 1st have just been cancelled so I'm now free for this ride again this year.  I do a round trip from near Haverhill (joining the DD at Finchingfield at around midnight) to Dunwich and back again (250km round trip).  The return leg after breakfast in the Dingle tearooms returns via Laxfield (Coop open at 7am) , Debenham (Coop), Haughley (Coop), Hawstead (Maglia Rosso cycling cafe for 3rd breakfast!!).  Usually get to Dunwich between 5 and 6am.  Back home by around 2pm (so not a fast ride).

Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #61 on: 04 April, 2023, 12:56:17 pm »

I can't recall who it was, but someone on here last year cycled from Dunwich to the ferry between Felixstowe and Harwich, and caught  train to London from there. It seemed to work fairly well for them.

You suggested Thorpe-le-Soken station, which I tried and worked well last year - no problem with the bike.  It's about 52m from Dunwich and a fairly pleasant route.  If you buy the ticket in advance it's a lot cheaper (as I found out!).
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #62 on: 20 April, 2023, 02:42:13 pm »
Coach and van tickets have gone on sale:- https://southwarkcyclists.org.uk/product/dunwich-dynamo-2023/

A 4 strong Chorlton(CH) Massive are riding and we'll be joined by a Yorkista from the Friday's Edinburgh-London tour.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #63 on: 23 April, 2023, 10:07:27 am »
Following chat at the pub last Wednesday, there are a few interested in an ACME peloton, starting 30 miles up the route, probably from my house. Then riding back or taking the Sunday night bivvy option.

ElyDave

« Reply #64 on: 25 April, 2023, 09:56:14 am »
Following chat at the pub last Wednesday, there are a few interested in an ACME peloton, starting 30 miles up the route, probably from my house. Then riding back or taking the Sunday night bivvy option.

Space for another in that peloton? Could be an attractive and convenient option.   

Did you mean Saturday night bivvy? i.e. ride Fri-Sat - bivvy Sat, and ride home Sunday?

« Reply #65 on: 25 April, 2023, 06:44:12 pm »
It will take me about 18 hours to complete the distance but I have always wanted to do this ride. I may try to ìntercept somewhere along the route or start in the morning rather than at night and then bivvy my way back home. I've never been to Dunwich and feel that should be rectified  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #66 on: 25 April, 2023, 08:59:38 pm »
The ride out of London in the sea of bike lights is what the ride's all about.  I'd suggest either starting an hour or two early at most or intercepting somewhere around Epping Forest while people are still around.

Getting to the beach at the same time as everyone else just means a massive queue.

« Reply #67 on: 25 April, 2023, 09:07:07 pm »
^This.
Unless you decide to ride on...

« Reply #68 on: 26 April, 2023, 08:06:34 am »
Thanks, good advice  :)
the slower you go the more you see

MsG

• No hills in Fenland but lots of wind
« Reply #69 on: 12 May, 2023, 08:59:38 pm »

Space for another in that peloton? Could be an attractive and convenient option.   

Did you mean Saturday night bivvy? i.e. ride Fri-Sat - bivvy Sat, and ride home Sunday?

Are you setting off on Sat 1st or Fri 30th ElyDave?

I'm considering doing my first DD, with riding up to Norwich for the train to Ely. Based on last year's info, the trains may be ok from there.
Not sure my legs would be up to the entire return trip.

ElyDave

« Reply #70 on: 15 May, 2023, 09:59:31 am »

Are you setting off on Sat 1st or Fri 30th ElyDave?

I'm considering doing my first DD, with riding up to Norwich for the train to Ely. Based on last year's info, the trains may be ok from there.
Not sure my legs would be up to the entire return trip.

No, just having a brain fart, for some reason my mind was on Fri/Sat rather than Sat/Sun.

Up to Norwich was also an option, or possibly Thetford way for the train as well - not sure on any difference.

« Reply #71 on: 16 May, 2023, 06:47:05 am »
Hopefully riding it this year with two of my sons. We rode it last in 2021. Bit of a faff but heres how i dealt with return journey for us three. Weekend before the DD cycle to Walthamstow from north herts and leave my bike at my sons place. Train home. Saturday morning of ride day drive to Halesworth, train back to Walthamstow. Ride the DD that eveningand Sunday morning, cycle to Halesworth about 10 miles, remove all wheels from the 3 bikes, dtive back to north herts. My boys then stay for Sunday dinner then get train to London.
When ive solo ridden the DD, ( with 2000 others), i usually cycle back and not bother planning a specific route, just head west  until around Lavenham, then i know route like back of my hand.
IMO, well worth doing this ride simply as its so rare to cycle through the night.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #72 on: 16 May, 2023, 02:15:47 pm »
... its so rare to cycle through the night.
I refer you to audax, particularly longer rides ....
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

MsG

• No hills in Fenland but lots of wind
« Reply #73 on: 16 May, 2023, 02:39:41 pm »
Monthly rides through the night with FnRRtC.

« Reply #74 on: 16 May, 2023, 05:30:36 pm »
True, but still pretty rare to cycle through the night for most. Personally i thoroughly enjoy it. Wider society is missing out