Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 862836 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #5400 on: 15 June, 2018, 10:30:12 am »
Yesterday, a tarte flambée as an after-ride restorative.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5401 on: 16 June, 2018, 04:33:08 pm »
Disco Baby ! being turned up to 11:- Ultegra 8020 shifters, med cage Ultegra RD, Hope RX4 calipers (red, to match the hubs and rotors) and a f*ck me how much ? Ultegra 11-34 cassette.
I'm hoping this lot can be used with the existing Campag 10 speed chainset and FD. If not, more kerching !

I also looked at a Redshift stopshock "suspension" stem but I bailed when I saw 20% VAT added at check-out. It was already expensive but it became "too much".
Shame, I like the sound of it.

Coming soon in the classifieds section:- Hope V Twin, shifters and, maybe, a chainset.

« Reply #5402 on: 25 June, 2018, 10:04:02 pm »
My front rim was feeling a bit worn, and with added birthday I treated myself to a new front wheel from Spa ... with added dynohub. I swapped the tyre and gave it a ride up the street this evening. All feels good. Lights will need to wait until I’ve got time to clean the bike as it’s filthy. :blush:

« Reply #5403 on: 26 June, 2018, 02:31:33 pm »
Disco Baby ! being turned up to 11:- Ultegra 8020 shifters, med cage Ultegra RD, Hope RX4 calipers (red, to match the hubs and rotors) and a f*ck me how much ? Ultegra 11-34 cassette.
I'm hoping this lot can be used with the existing Campag 10 speed chainset and FD. If not, more kerching !

I also looked at a Redshift stopshock "suspension" stem but I bailed when I saw 20% VAT added at check-out. It was already expensive but it became "too much".
Shame, I like the sound of it.

Coming soon in the classifieds section:- Hope V Twin, shifters and, maybe, a chainset.

You might find the 10sp chain a bit wide for the 11sp cassette, but an 11sp chain will work fine with the chainset and probably with the fd too.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5404 on: 30 June, 2018, 04:06:02 pm »
new chain, brake blocks and front mech for the Giant rebuild.

Triple fronts seem hard to find these days.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #5405 on: 05 July, 2018, 03:54:54 pm »
Ordered last week but arrived today, a Felt FR40 bike in black/white from Wiggle, http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-fr40-road-bike-tiagra-2018/

Price has dropped twice in the last few weeks but there could be a further drop as they seem to have plenty left.
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #5406 on: 05 July, 2018, 06:33:37 pm »

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #5407 on: 06 July, 2018, 12:15:14 am »
A nice RED mini pump. Red ones do inflate tyres faster, don't they?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #5408 on: 06 July, 2018, 03:14:18 pm »
Only with a white stripe.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #5409 on: 06 July, 2018, 03:24:01 pm »
Some locks, to replace those I last used in a get nearly 30 years ago! A Kryptonite New York D lock and the stupidly named chain lock too. Going to be cycle commuting for the first time next month, and stops in the local area to shop on the way home  :). Going to keep an eye out for some Ottolocks coming available as well. I also invested in some Specialized Tahoe shoes for commuting in that can stay on in the office if necessary.

« Reply #5410 on: 12 July, 2018, 10:41:14 am »
A used Shimano RD M510 (long cage version for 11-34T cassette).

Current one on the hack bike is on its way out (jockey wheels are toast). Found a used one still in good nick for roughly what I'd pay for a new set of jockey wheels.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #5411 on: 12 July, 2018, 05:30:41 pm »
Quite a lot over the last few days, but this is the main item, just arrived  :D.  Looks pretty good in the flesh too, if a little understated. Its as Domane SL Disc framset, 2018 model. To be built up with Ultegra Di2.

IMG_0203 by Richard Fletcher, on Flickr

Nice to see a good selection of spacers supplied on the steerer, and it also comes with a 5Nm torque key.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5412 on: 13 July, 2018, 06:28:33 pm »
A complete Harry Quinn bike locally for £85.  The parts were mostly junk but it's a good frameset, 4lb 12oz for a big 23.5" frame.  Probably Tange Champion as it has a 27.0 seatpost and is fractionally heavier than 531DB.  Proper Liverpool built Quinn with a Q frame number.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5413 on: 13 July, 2018, 08:13:08 pm »
After a bit of investigation, a Di2 battery holder to go inside the down tube of the Domane frame a couple of posts above.

« Reply #5414 on: 18 July, 2018, 09:25:07 am »
These Sidi wide-fit shoes for £115.
(I had a day off work so drove to the shop in Chorley, as I didn't want to face the prospect
of an on-line order in a particular size and finding out that it doesn't fit, or ordering two pairs
and having to send one pair back).

Sidi Dominator 7 Mega MTB Shoes - 2017

« Reply #5415 on: 27 July, 2018, 02:28:24 pm »

Pictures:-

Hope RX4 caliper- front by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

Hope RX4 caliper- rear. by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

One One Dirty Disco. by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

You might find the 10sp chain a bit wide for the 11sp cassette, but an 11sp chain will work fine with the chainset and probably with the fd too.

I went for a new FD in the end but the chainset is playing nicely with the new components. I'm using an 11 speed chain.
So far, so good but the hoods are going to take some getting used to and I might need a shorter stem.

The 1st proper ride will be this evening on the York-Hull FNRttC (provided the trains are running............).

« Reply #5416 on: 28 July, 2018, 12:08:50 pm »
A very dinky little ratchet set . I'll need to add a T20 bit for my Rohloff.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5417 on: 30 July, 2018, 09:13:57 pm »
A secondhand Sealey workstand.  Built like a tank.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #5418 on: 02 August, 2018, 06:59:03 pm »
Finally got around to buying a couple of new tyres for the cranky old grid.  Sticking with the Bontragers cos they're cheap and, so far, have shown themselves extremely durable.  Huzzah for companies that still take telephone orders.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #5419 on: 07 August, 2018, 08:09:57 am »
Is this cycling stuff?

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #5420 on: 08 August, 2018, 04:22:16 pm »
One of these..........

Brompton S6L titanium nickel plated shopper.

Lookenzee like this....

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5421 on: 08 August, 2018, 05:28:22 pm »
Delivered today, 2 pairs of Assos shorts (because I'm worth it).
One of which are this year's new model with pink chamois, the other are the old model with blue chamois.
My efforts to find the really old model with the orange chamois failed.

So the new pink chamois. Some boffin at Assos has developed the Golden Gate chamois which involves the great wheeze of not stitching the mid section of the chamois to the shorts: https://roubaixcycling.cc/2016/06/04/assos-s7-bibshorts-equipe-v-cento-game-changer/
But, surely having things free to move around means more likelihood of chafing ???
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5422 on: 08 August, 2018, 05:35:05 pm »
https://roubaixcycling.cc/2016/06/04/assos-s7-bibshorts-equipe-v-cento-game-changer/

Reading that takes me back to the days when I thought lycra shorts were inherently ridiculous.  (They still are, obviously, but I've become desensitised to the fact through prolonged use.)

Things free to move around might be a good thing if it means they stay put against the skin, in a double-layer sock style, maybe?  I'm also sceptical.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5423 on: 08 August, 2018, 06:04:37 pm »
I shall report back.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #5424 on: 11 August, 2018, 02:29:40 pm »
From a french hypermarket:

6 x pairs of SCS road brake pads at 1.5 euro a pair
2 x pairs of older type brake pads at 1.3 euro a pair.

From a french supermarket

2 x 700x 18-23 inner tubes a euro a go.  Don't even need tubes but at a euro a go could say no.
Pair of plastic brake pedals at euro....same reason.