Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 1062349 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #20100 on: January 08, 2018, 11:12:58 am »
Was on annual leave last week so first day back after New Year this morning. 

It was my "long" commute to the city centre in Edinburgh today, so about 7km instead of my regular 4km  ;).  Totally freezing, Id been out at the Airport earlier in the morning and the car read -6 deg. at 0630 and it wasnt much warmer when I set off for work at 0800.  My hands are still sore from the cold...definitely a day for the extra liner gloves! 

« Reply #20101 on: January 08, 2018, 12:36:46 pm »
Wooly hat for the first time this winter, it was bitter.

« Reply #20102 on: January 10, 2018, 10:21:50 am »
Amazing the difference a few degrees and the absence of wind can make, I actually enjoyed that.

« Reply #20103 on: January 10, 2018, 06:55:28 pm »
First day on the bike since 21st December.
And my first 'proper' run since 26th December.
Maybe doing them on the same day was a mistake...
Fun though.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #20104 on: January 10, 2018, 08:01:56 pm »
I watched one chap get almost left hooked twice today within the space of about 400 yards. Great bike handling skills. Less good on the observation and anticipation front though.
Rust never sleeps

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #20105 on: January 11, 2018, 11:53:07 pm »

« Reply #20106 on: January 12, 2018, 08:29:41 pm »
Skidding even on the studded tyres today yet have managed to cycle to work every working day this year so far...100%..... despite snow, frost, fog and high winds. It can't get better.  :facepalm:
Pete Crane E75

« Reply #20107 on: January 12, 2018, 11:10:53 pm »
Got knocked off by an oncoming, overtaking car on the B3128 just by Long Ashton golf club at 6pm today.  Probably doing 20mph down a  small incline when one of a small group of oncoming cars pulls out sharply to overtake straight into my path.  We both braked, he skidded a little , we both swerved to our lefts and I thought I had just made past but he clipped the back end of the bike and all of a sudden I am astride the bike but lying on my side on the verge (soft and grassy  :thumbsup:).  Nobody stopped.  I can just about believe that the overtaken cars might have missed it.  Two or three cars stopped a few minutes later and one offered me a lift to my destination.

Luckily I have only a small cut and a few abrasions from the bike and a bit shaken by a few seconds of high speed oncoming headlights  :o.  The rear rack is bent and both pannier fixings are damaged plus the top of my phone screen is rather more cracked than before.  Will need to check the rear triangle in the tomorrow.  I've reported it online and filled out a STATS19 but barring a guilty conscience self report by the driver that's about it.  If anyone knows Ian Hudson from Portishead, tell him thanks very much for the lift.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #20108 on: January 12, 2018, 11:17:15 pm »
Glad to hear you're still around and without too much damage. Shitty driver behaviour though.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...