Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 2945870 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
A distant relative has just posted a picture on Facefriend, showing a lady in a car after celebrating her son's 80th birthday.

essexian

Out for a post work, pre football ride last evening when two strange events happened....

Firstly, I was heading up a slope (Around 2 to 3%) between Ellenhall and Eccleshall when a driving school car pulled along side me and down came the window. "Oh" I thought: "I wonder what they think I've done wrong..."

Nope, nothing like that. The driver, also a cyclists, told me that they felt my saddle was too high as my hips were rocking side to side quite a lot which they had been told during their bike fit, was not a good thing. The saddle has been there for 9 years so I think its likely simply to be the way I ride  :o 

Then, just south of Ranton.... I love the name of that village.... I pulled over when safe to let a car by. Anyway, the car stopped and out got a women who walked towards me.....her first words were: "You cyclists know everything."

This depressed me.... I mean, I am running out of places to store the bodies.... but what she went on to say was that cyclists knew all the best routes so could I direct her to Brocton, some 10 miles away. It seems the main road was closed due to an accident and thus, she was using lanes she didn't know.

Of course she was correct.... I did know the way  ;D

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Blimey.  Pirates off the Devon coast.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-44592957
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

In a counter to exxexian’s story, while walking home from the shops yesterday I was accosted by a woman. She wanted to know when the football was on.
I had zero clue.
“Oh well, teach me to assume all men like football”she said.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
She wanted to know when the football was on.

“All the bloody time!”
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

In a counter to exxexian’s story, while walking home from the shops yesterday I was accosted by a woman. She wanted to know when the football was on.
I had zero clue.
“Oh well, teach me to assume all men like football”she said.

Happened to me too. I was standing there stuffing my face with a roti when a family appeared in front of me. Where can we watch the football?

On the other hand, I wasn't entire unhelpful. Probably the place that serves beer over there. The one emitting all the noise.

I have managed so far to avoid any soccer ball, so didn't realise they were having a kick about yesterday, though I do like the empty roads (and proportionally fewer idiots).

Basil

• Help me!

I have managed so far to avoid any soccer ball, so didn't realise they were having a kick about yesterday, though I do like the empty roads (and proportionally fewer idiots).

Although, unlike the rugby, there appears to be a certain amount of interest in and goodwill towards the English fußballers, there is not quite enough to to clear the lanes of hot hatches, the walking driving dead and maniac contact hay makers, as I was disappointed to discover yesterday afternoon.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I foolishly assumed the Ing-er-lund sportsball game was an evening kickoff and thus missed it completely.  Already missed their first one due to having been in Scotlandshire.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Don't think you missed anything.

Wait, did something happen . . . ?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
Blimey.  Pirates off the Devon coast.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-44592957

Probably a German raiding party again.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Trump Hotels appear to be running a promotion...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Beardy

• Shedist
The new cat that we are now servants too is turning out to be a bit of a menace to the local wild life. Among other things we’ve be presented with a Swift, a robin and a thrush. Last night she brought a bat in, though $deity knows how she caught that! This evening it was a juvenile blackbird, which we managed to get off her and release. She’s currently locked in and is doing her nut because of it.

A bigger Bell is needed.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I suppose we should be grateful we've only had rodents...

essexian

So, over the last few days I have removed the old floor from my office and laid a new one, put up supports for a new ceiling, removed, painted and refitted the doors to said office, done some electrical work including replacing a socket and put some new felt on the roof.

To do the above, I have used three different types of power saw, a drill, an electric planner, several very sharp chisels, screws of various sizes and a number of craft knives.

So.... what did I use to cut a large deep gash on my right index figure which bled for nearly half an hour.....

(click to show/hide)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
It's obviously unsafe. Sue the manufacturer.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44632001

British islands. "82...only two off the coast of Wales"

Well, granting them some freedom of interpretation, and assuming they mean 'inhabited' islands, the two will be Anglesey/Mon and Cybi/Holy Island.
And Ynys Enlli.
And Caldey/Byr.
And Flat Holm.
And Barry.
And Skomer.
And Skokholm.
And Ramsey/Dewi.

And ...
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen

Well, granting them some freedom of interpretation, and assuming they mean 'inhabited' islands, the two will be Anglesey/Mon and Cybi/Holy Island.
And Ynys Enlli.
And Caldey/Byr.
And Flat Holm.
And Barry.
And Skomer.
And Skokholm.
And Ramsey/Dewi.

And ...

It's a size thing.  From the article:
An Ordnance Survey (OS) analysis of the 82 islands that measure more than 5 sq km (2 sq miles) off the coast of Great Britain
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Beardy

• Shedist
Having successfully rebuilt my work PC AGAIN to fix ANOTHER issue I'm left with the dilemma of whether or not spend any more time customising it again or whether to just try and use it 'vanilla'. Ok, I'm going ot have to install some other applications, but can I be arsed to upload a picture for my own wallpaper.

Sigh. 
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Basil

• Help me!

And Ynys Enlli.
And Caldey/Byr.
And Flat Holm.
And Barry.
And Skomer.
And Skokholm.
And Ramsey/Dewi.

And ...

It's a size thing.  From the article:
An Ordnance Survey (OS) analysis of the 82 islands that measure more than 5 sq km (2 sq miles) off the coast of Great Britain

Many years ago, I heard a discussion on "The British Isles"; in particular in what is actually an island and what is just a rock.
The definition they gave was that to be a true island, it must be large enough to sustain at least one grazing sheep.

essexian

Had an automated phone call from Severn Trent last night asking us to cut down on water usage as we are using it quicker than they can make it* currently.

I am now wondering whether I should cut down on the number of showers I have, or wait until a friend arrives and shower with them.... Ah, good times 1976 and all that# ;D

* Not what they actually said but it make me smile.

# Contains traces of Lie.... I don't have any friends and hated 1976.... too many hormones and so many spots that I looked like the face of the Moon!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike

The piece starts:
"Life on Great Britain's outer islands..."

Erm, isn't Great Britain specifically the name of the mainland, the single largest of the British Isles?

I suppose they could argue that they're talking about the Kingdom of Great Britain, but it grates a bit in the context.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

This is how Skynet begins...

My robot vacuum is fighting with my smart scale. This is an IoT nightmare.
https://twitter.com/meganmorrone/status/1012394756675006464
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
I gave platelets yesterday. This entails lying on a couch thing, hooked up to a machine that goes ping, for around 90 minutes.

To alleviate the boredom there is an anbaric distascope, sound muted, with subtitles.  Yesterday's viewing entertainment was the footy. I am not interested in the footy. You know that episode of the Likely Lads where Bob and Terry are trying hard to avoid hearing the footy result by various means? It was almost, but not entirely, unlike that.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
On a related note, today I accompanied a friend to an appointment with $doctor_of_obscure_conditions at $posh_private_hospital in That London[1].  The waiting area was exactly what you'd expect from such places: coordinated leather sofas, free Brown Drink dispenser, air conditioning, that sort of thing.  They had a generously sized anbaric distascope at each end of the waiting area, tuned to the same channel, with subtitles on and the volume at an inoffensive level, such that you'd watch the screen on the adjacent wall while listening to the one above you.  So far so oh-if-you-must.

Except that we're living so far into The Future that distascopes now have built-in fingery tuners, which is good because it delivers us from SCART connectors and incorrect aspect ratios, but bad because no two instances of a given stream are ever quite in sync.  For bonus points the one above my head wasn't receiving a full complement of digits (the possible reasons for which are left as an exercise for the reader, on account of this not actually being one of Bill Wright's anecdotes), to the effect that the sound would drop out a couple of times a minute, usually timed to coincide with the inevitable garbling of the live subtitling.

And, for reasons that still aren't entirely clear, it was tuned to ITV something, which was full of loose women talking about triple-L lesbians (no, I've no idea, but from the context it seems like it might be a way to avoid saying 'bisexual') and the non-question of whether an ex still counts as a family member.  Fortunately, this was a posh private clinic, and $doctor_of_obscure_conditions appeared to put us out of our misery on the dot of the appointment time.

No sportsball was observed, though my train did pass through Rugby, and for some reason contained a statistically significant number of young men with crates of beer.  And we're reasonably sure it's not lupus.

[1] Which I appear to have become allergic to.

I gave platelets yesterday. This entails lying on a couch thing, hooked up to a machine that goes ping, for around 90 minutes.

To alleviate the boredom there is an anbaric distascope, sound muted, with subtitles.  Yesterday's viewing entertainment was the footy. I am not interested in the footy. You know that episode of the Likely Lads where Bob and Terry are trying hard to avoid hearing the footy result by various means? It was almost, but not entirely, unlike that.
I feel your pain.