Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1618957 times)

ian

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #10075 on: 21 June, 2018, 07:30:07 pm »
Dinosaurs would have had to ride bikes – there quite literally were no fossil fuels back then.

In a recent presentation I just included video of my cat having an argument with a magpie (chief nemesis). That rocked, though not quite as much as the time I got JCvD to read out my summary slide or when Taylor Swift destroyed a vintage dress-wearing Hitler with his own diabolical laser beam eyes (using a mirror. obvs).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10076 on: 22 June, 2018, 12:11:29 pm »
We can truly see why you are a leader of thoughts, though we might worry about where you lead those thoughts.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #10077 on: 22 June, 2018, 12:26:25 pm »
I do occasionally do serious presentations.

Today I'm learning to say hello in Amharic (እው ሰላም ነው). When presenting in Foreignlandia I like to kick off with a welcome in the local language. That gets them all het up. And then I switch to English because that's all I've learned to phonetically reproduce. Guarantees momentary audience elation and then delivers consistent disappointment.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10078 on: 22 June, 2018, 01:33:39 pm »
I do the opposite, befuddle them in English first and then thank them in their own language.  I've even learned how to say it in Americanian
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10079 on: 22 June, 2018, 01:34:02 pm »
VPN marketing seems very prevalent at the moment. Except it’s wrong. These people are rarely,  if ever, selling virtual private networks, they are selling packet encryption/decryption solutions that the buyer is taking as offering them greater security, from organisations the neither know nor research. It’s not even particularly clever and definitely not new as seems to be the implications of much of the marketing.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10080 on: 22 June, 2018, 02:06:53 pm »
Small metal items of hardware with peel-dirty barcode labels on.  :demon: >:(   Have to soak the buggers in oil, peel 'em, rub off the residue and then degrease. I defecate upon the stickers thereof with superhuman force and unerring aim: splat.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #10081 on: 22 June, 2018, 03:14:14 pm »
When presenting in Foreignlandia I like to kick off with a welcome in the local language. That gets them all het up. And then I switch to English because...
You are Denis Healey AICMFP.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

ian

« Reply #10082 on: 22 June, 2018, 04:14:12 pm »
Unfortunately, Google doesn't tell me how to pronounce እው ሰላም ነው so I'm going with just reading the transliteration. I've also got my Vietnamese sorted out, though it sounds suspiciously like I'm a doing a racist Jim Davidson piss-take.

« Reply #10083 on: 22 June, 2018, 07:30:18 pm »
Just remember 'Ich bin ein Berliner'.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #10084 on: 26 June, 2018, 01:24:21 pm »
25C

I'm not in the office (went to head office instead) in the morning, so they cranked the aircon up to 25C.

I will admit, it did feel cool when set to 22C yesterday (pleasantly cool to me). However, 25C is effing ridiculous. Put on a sweater if you are cold, ffs.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #10085 on: 26 June, 2018, 02:27:39 pm »
25C

I'm not in the office (went to head office instead) in the morning, so they cranked the aircon up to 25C.

I will admit, it did feel cool when set to 22C yesterday (pleasantly cool to me). However, 25C is effing ridiculous. Put on a sweater if you are cold, ffs.

If it’s 25 outside then it’s not actually having to work that hard.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #10086 on: 26 June, 2018, 03:40:59 pm »
25C

If it’s 25 outside then it’s not actually having to work that hard.
It is warmer than 25 outside.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #10087 on: 27 June, 2018, 09:25:33 am »
Go shopping for new trousers. Pick some off rack, usual size. They just about fall off me. Well, I have lost a lot of weight recently (9kg and counting, according to scales at home). Go down a size.

Fourth time I wear trousers, sit down, hear sound of stitches ripping. Arse. Probably stick out of trousers.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #10088 on: 27 June, 2018, 09:36:51 am »
Time to wear a kilt then.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #10089 on: 27 June, 2018, 10:26:36 am »
Time to wear a kilt then.
I've been requesting a kilt for some time.

Not quite born north of the border though (Carlisle doesn't count).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #10090 on: 27 June, 2018, 10:42:33 am »
If you're going to wear one of those in the supermarket you'll need to keep your eyes peeled for a Tory MP perverts with his their phone cameras switched on
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10091 on: 27 June, 2018, 11:08:08 am »
^^^ and highly-polished shoes.

« Reply #10092 on: 27 June, 2018, 11:24:06 am »
If you're going to wear one of those in the supermarket you'll need to keep your eyes peeled for a Tory MP perverts with his their phone cameras switched on
That's ok. i'll just wear a pair of JC undercrackers.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #10093 on: 27 June, 2018, 07:51:01 pm »
So, why am I so pissed off at various articles that report on a study that estimates the amount of interstellar carbon in the galaxy? Obviously someone with a hand in composing the team's press release thought it would be amusing to equate space grease with butter and lo, every journalist uses the figure of '40 trillion trillion trillion packs of butter'. Ha, yes, amusing. Astronomically huge number, ludicrously small unit and no reference to anything remotely useful to comprehension like a solar mass. I'll tell you what they can usefully do with all that butter...
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10094 on: 28 June, 2018, 08:06:58 am »
A last tango?

ElyDave

« Reply #10095 on: 28 June, 2018, 08:27:43 am »
under desk spaghetti  >:(

new work laptop yesterday (another Dull  >:() with a different docking station. Cue ten minutes of dust and "where the fcuk does that go?"

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10096 on: 28 June, 2018, 09:13:05 am »

new work laptop yesterday (another Dull  >:() with a different docking station. Cue ten minutes of dust and "where the fcuk does that go?"
Docking station? You lucky bastard. The preventer of information services here decreed a few years ago now that we can not have docking stations so we all have to spend a few minutes in the morning plugging in all the cables.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ElyDave

« Reply #10097 on: 28 June, 2018, 11:48:33 am »

Docking station? You lucky bastard. The preventer of information services here decreed a few years ago now that we can not have docking stations so we all have to spend a few minutes in the morning plugging in all the cables.

Forgot to add, new docking station is so new that it has 1 HDMI port and two other new funky display ports. My 10+ YO VGA monitor therefore needs to be plugged directly into the laptop, somewhat reducing the utility of a docking station

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #10098 on: 28 June, 2018, 02:42:56 pm »

Forgot to add, new docking station is so new that it has 1 HDMI port and two other new funky display ports. My 10+ YO VGA monitor therefore needs to be plugged directly into the laptop, somewhat reducing the utility of a docking station
i have a docking station with only HDMI port(s) and a display with VGA and some other thing. (DVI?).  Anyhoo, I have an adaptor which changes HDMI electrons into VGA electrons. This is plugged permanently into my docking station and works a treat.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #10099 on: 28 June, 2018, 04:31:34 pm »
Because it's a tad warm the building aircon is making extra demands on our water supply.   This means there is no water to flush the toilets  :sick:

Farce Sillities are working on it...

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark