Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 513598 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #2625 on: 16 September, 2018, 03:24:53 pm »
We can't leave the house at the moment without someone off-loading their glut of courgettes and runner beans on to us.
Also, we recently bought another half a pig.  Dinner is getting somewhat samey these days.
Lunch today.  Belly pork with ratatouille.  Nice but, well, predictable.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Re: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #2626 on: 19 September, 2018, 02:11:53 pm »
I've eaten in Wagamamas a few times. Enjoyed it and developed a liking for Itame.

So much so, that I started regularly cooking a version for myself.

Last saturday MrsC and I went out for a meal and ended up in Wagamamas. Constrained by being a gluten-intolerant vegetarian, I ordered Itame.

It was  . . . disapointing.  I remembered it as being a spicy dish with a variety of crunchy green ingredients. Rich and flavoursome.
This was insipid with overcooked veg. Limp Pak Choi. Barely tasting of spice.

Maybe it is because I cook my own at home and I'm used to adjusting the flavour, but I think Wagamamas has lost something. The manager, who came to discuss allergy dishes with us, admitted that all sauces are supplied to the restaurant now, not cooked on-site.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #2627 on: 19 September, 2018, 06:10:31 pm »
I have now successfully convinced my mother-in-law that because bird flu decimated the chicken population of Indonesia that all Nandos in the region now serve peri peri grilled bat instead. Bat Nandos!

My work is complete.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2628 on: 19 September, 2018, 07:00:31 pm »
Mrs Torslanda - she of the horned helmet and heavy metal breastplate - sez you're not right in the 'ead, mate . . .

WOT?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ian

« Reply #2629 on: 19 September, 2018, 09:43:43 pm »
It's brilliant, I wind up my MiL all the time. I rejoice in the fact that she'll be explaining – nay, insisting – to the less credulous members of their Cotswoldian bridge club that not only has her son-in-law eaten a bat, he's done so in Nandos. That Bat Nandos is indeed a thing. They grill entire bats. Or a half, if you'd prefer, with two regular sides. And bat wings, don't forget the wings. So crisp! The even have a tagline: Come on, have a cheeky flutter! It takes some time because she's not entirely credulous, I have to work it in. But my job is done. It's double fun, because like most elderly white people in the Cotswolds, she's a bit scared of Nandos on account it's where black people and lesbians* might hang out. It's the sort of place they might have in Yate.

My other current con was hatched by my wife. We were sending MiL a picture of ourselves posing on a rooftop in Kuala Lumpur and knowing my MiL's hatred of facial hair and the fact I wouldn't be seeing her for a while, well what if I started photoshopping increasing large beards on my face in any photos? So I now look like someone from ZZ Top who's let himself go and she's suitably concerned for my appearance. Oh, you really should talk to him dear, it looks awful!

*The fear of lesbians is sort of, en passant, our fault. She was visiting once when we had two friends over, and well, let's just say they're both sapphically inclined and filthy-minded so when my MiL innocently asked oh, what do you do? they took a moment and replied in perfect unison: in bed?

« Reply #2630 on: 20 September, 2018, 10:30:31 am »
You are a bad, bad man!  ;D

ian

« Reply #2631 on: 23 September, 2018, 04:34:45 pm »
I enjoyed my bacon sandwich so much I ordered another one at the greasy spoon this morning (thick white bread lathered with marg, actual smoked bacon, and enough HP to drown in). It took a while as the owner had to march a bunch of travellers to the local cash machine but 'they'd forgot money' and despite really, really promising to come back, honest, she – for some reason – didn't trust that they would. Apparently, it's a common ploy, they either 'don't have enough money' or need to go and 'get change.'

High drama as I supped my tea. I wouldn't mess with her, mind. I probably wouldn't ask for smashed avocado on toast either.

« Reply #2632 on: 23 September, 2018, 05:09:27 pm »
Don't mess with people who work with knives and deep-fat fryers. I think over the years my local greasy spoons have been 50/50 settle up afterwards/order and pay up front at the till; I guess the risk of being dunned is less if you know most of your clientele and can always call on a couple of friendly builders to help deal with miscreants.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2633 on: 23 September, 2018, 05:10:35 pm »
Don't mess with people who work with knives and deep-fat fryers.

Someone should have told Lisa Faulkner that before she signed up for Spooks.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #2634 on: 24 September, 2018, 09:07:02 am »
From this:

...to this:

Marrow jam. It's good. Similar taste and consistency to lemon curd - doesn't taste like marrow/courgette at all. We've got several more monsters still growing out there, so I suspect we'll end up giving away a good few jars of this as Christmas presents this year.

ian

« Reply #2635 on: 24 September, 2018, 11:35:54 am »
Owing to a shopping oversight I found myself faced with a lentil, spinach, and chickpea dhal last night.

This morning I really, really, really wish I'd not eaten it. I know, I thought I'd share my distress. Lentils, fearful little things.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2636 on: 26 September, 2018, 05:58:06 pm »
We have a large gong that we could use to announce that dinner is ready.  We don't.
I find that the smoke alarm in the hall fulfills that function perfectly adequately.   ::-)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2637 on: 26 September, 2018, 09:29:41 pm »
Owing to a shopping oversight I found myself faced with a lentil, spinach, and chickpea dhal last night.

This morning I really, really, really wish I'd not eaten it. I know, I thought I'd share my distress. Lentils, fearful little things.

David's been moaning about feeling bloated but gave us baked beans for lunch...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2638 on: 26 September, 2018, 10:30:11 pm »
We have a large gong that we could use to announce that dinner is ready.  We don't.
I find that the smoke alarm in the hall fulfills that function perfectly adequately.   ::-)

One of the fringe benefits of nextdoor's building works is that we can now go to the bedroom window and watch the students morris dancing with tea towels through their kitchen skylight when we hear their toast alarm go off.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2639 on: 27 September, 2018, 10:25:29 am »

One of the fringe benefits of nextdoor's building works is that we can now go to the bedroom window and watch the students morris dancing with tea towels through their kitchen skylight when we hear their toast alarm go off.
*snortle* ;D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2640 on: 27 September, 2018, 04:43:18 pm »
Perusing the Special Offers for Biscuits on the Sainsbury's website, I see the second item listed is Radish! ???

???

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2641 on: 27 September, 2018, 04:47:53 pm »

We never had a gong, we just shouted "BONG!" up the stairs.  The kids got so used to it they would wander into the kitchen and ask if we were bong yet.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2642 on: 27 September, 2018, 05:50:34 pm »
Perusing the Special Offers for Biscuits on the Sainsbury's website, I see the second item listed is Radish! ???

???

I blame fraggles.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2643 on: 27 September, 2018, 06:51:39 pm »

We never had a gong, we just shouted "BONG!" up the stairs.  The kids got so used to it they would wander into the kitchen and ask if we were bong yet.
This could mean so many things.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2644 on: 28 September, 2018, 11:57:26 am »
Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles seems to have discontinued its Chocolate Flapjack Bites.  Good for my ever-expanding waistline, perhaps, but not for my state of wellbeing.  Bah!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2645 on: 28 September, 2018, 10:21:15 pm »
Mr Sainsbury's House Of Toothy Comestibles seems to have discontinued its Chocolate Flapjack Bites.  Good for my ever-expanding waistline, perhaps, but not for my state of wellbeing.  Bah!

Bah indeed! I like those but have bought few of late.

I nourish my trim waistline and spirit with little treats. Rocky road bites are good for the chocaholic with a sweet tooth.

Fox's Chunkie cookies are on Special Offer right now...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2646 on: 29 September, 2018, 11:50:48 am »
I discovered this week that I much prefer Norwegian aged aquavit to Swedish
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

citoyen

« Reply #2647 on: 29 September, 2018, 08:38:36 pm »
Fox's Chunkie cookies are on Special Offer right now...

Get thee behind me, Satan.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2648 on: 29 September, 2018, 09:00:24 pm »
I can tell I'm getting well away from civilization now. The hotel menu here in Lairg listed "The vegetarian option - ask the chef for today's vegetarian option".

I'm not a veggy, but I did wonder what the hotel would make to a vegan staying.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #2649 on: 29 September, 2018, 09:02:12 pm »
Mr Stockwell's Emporium seems not to be stocking piadine... :'(