Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 948564 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #7850 on: 08 February, 2018, 01:37:37 pm »
^^^Watched that a good while ago. It was OK, but then I read what had really happened and it lost a lot of its appeal.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #7851 on: 09 February, 2018, 09:03:22 am »
Trump's only been in office a year - can Hollywood actually make a movie (from script-to-premiere) that quickly these days??

(I don't usually watch this sort of thing, but I've never *not* enjoyed a Hanks movie, so I'm sure I'll watch it one day :) )

Hannah, who’s 31, had written a screenplay on spec called The Post, about Washington Post publisher Katharine Graham and executive editor Ben Bradlee and their 1971 decision to publish the Pentagon Papers, the leaked government documents about secret escalations during the Vietnam War. Hannah never expected the movie to get made. It was “a script about two people in their 50s in which no one kisses each other,” she says. She merely hoped it would entice an agent to sign her. She polished the screenplay in the fall of 2016 and crossed her fingers.
Even more unusual is the call Hannah received a few months later when Pascal told her Steven Spielberg was interested in directing — and that they were aiming to release the film this December, in time for awards consideration. “It’s the weirdest phone call you can receive. Steven … Spielberg?”

http://www.vulture.com/2017/12/liz-hannah-the-post-pentagon-papers-script.html
Move Faster and Bake Things

fuzzy

« Reply #7852 on: 09 February, 2018, 12:05:10 pm »
Thirteen Hours: The Secret Soldiersof Benghazi

A Michael Bay film based around the attack on 11th/12th September 2012 on the US Diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya and a covert CIA compound in the same city.

Lots of pyro and lots of warrior sentiment. Also, even if only half accurate, a damning example of the most powerful nation in the worlds ability to completely fuck up.

« Reply #7853 on: 09 February, 2018, 08:08:11 pm »
Winchester.  Why?  Well no, maybe not 'why' but how.  How did they make such a pig's ear out of an intriguing true story?

Do yourself a favour and don't bother. Watch 'Sixth Sense', again instead.  So what if you know the ending?  It's tons better anyway.

Move Faster and Bake Things

Monty

• Buffoon
« Reply #7854 on: 10 February, 2018, 10:44:29 am »
Early Man.

The Aardman thing. Errr...if you take the kids with you, and they like football...it'll help. Two grown-ups going was to be honest a bit of a disappointment. I'm quite glad we managed to get in for half price on a Monday afternoon really.
It's fun. But not desperately funny...for me at least. Not really a patch on the old Wallace & Grommit films, but they're a hard act to follow.

Verdict: Wait for the DVD. Or even better for it to appear on TV in a year or so.

5/10
Steady at 15

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7855 on: 10 February, 2018, 11:23:46 am »
The Darjeeling Limited  It was obviously working slowly up to something climactic and then it ended without getting there, a bit like Mahler's attempts at film music. Waste of a good cast.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #7856 on: 11 February, 2018, 04:22:25 pm »
The Cloverfield Paradox

A bit silly. The plot is essentially a compilation of classic sci-fi and disaster movie tropes. None of the crew seems particularly phased when Weird Shit starts happening.* And then they Reverse The Polarity.

Is ‘straight to netflix’ the new ‘straight to dvd’?

(click to show/hide)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #7857 on: 11 February, 2018, 05:20:56 pm »
Yes, but I liked it :-)

For me, last night - Breathe.

Very good film, and a bit of an eye opener regarding how victims of polio were treated in my lifetime.

fuzzy

« Reply #7858 on: 11 February, 2018, 05:30:25 pm »
'71 Soldier gets seperated from his platoon during a raid in Belfast in 1971.

It was alright.

Set before my time in N.I. but the feelings of some on both side were accuratly reflected as I experienced them (some Catholics hated and wanted to murder soldiers, soem didn't. Some Protestants loved the soldiers, some didn't. Some soldiers wanted to do good, some didn't).

citoyen

« Reply #7859 on: 11 February, 2018, 05:52:30 pm »
Yes, but I liked it :-)

I’m not saying I didn’t like it, but it is very silly.

« Reply #7860 on: 11 February, 2018, 05:59:09 pm »
Ill  Manors, on iPlayer.

Waay better than I thought it was going to be, despite flaws, plot holes and lacking a political dimension that should have been there.

« Reply #7861 on: 11 February, 2018, 06:32:01 pm »
The Cloverfield Paradox

A bit silly. The plot is essentially a compilation of classic sci-fi and disaster movie tropes. None of the crew seems particularly phased when Weird Shit starts happening.* And then they Reverse The Polarity.

(click to show/hide)
Some of it was a bit like watching extracts from the IT crowd. At lot of it was utterly silly.
(click to show/hide)
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #7862 on: 11 February, 2018, 06:40:11 pm »
Yes, the arm. I was pondering that, I just assumed that it made no sense because I'd spent the afternoon in a brewery. Seems not.

Vaguely entertaining, though the premise made no sense (the world having 'run out of energy' – how does that happen? – and then they pan down a line of running cars, everyone on their cell phones, and then they're using computers, etc. etc. and the solution is, erm, a supercollider in space, so I can suppose they were trying to make those special neutrinos).

I guess Netflix are into churning out enough movies to keep people subscribing, which is a quantity game.

Needed more monsters. We need a Cloverfield Cthulhu gig.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #7863 on: 12 February, 2018, 01:09:56 am »
We need someone to film 'A Colder War'
http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/colderwar.htm
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7864 on: 12 February, 2018, 08:17:58 am »
He's been reading Cabell.

Come to think of it, a good film of Jurgen could be fun.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #7865 on: 12 February, 2018, 01:24:25 pm »
The Cloverfield Paradox

(click to show/hide)

Apparently The Cloverfield Paradox is a prequel to Cloverfield. Perhaps we'll end up with more Prequels and Sequels involving Cloverfields than Star Wars?

citoyen

« Reply #7866 on: 12 February, 2018, 01:31:43 pm »
Apparently The Cloverfield Paradox is a prequel to Cloverfield.

Kind of. The timeline is not entirely clear, but it's quite likely that the events of The Cloverfield Paradox happen some time after the events of the other two films. And possibly not even in the same universe. While at the same time being the cause of events in the other two films.

That's the paradox.

Apparently.

(See, I did say it was silly.)

ian

« Reply #7867 on: 12 February, 2018, 06:51:13 pm »
Apparently (says the internet), it was a different movie they just decided to slot into the Cloverfield franchise, than Paramount realizing they had a big stinker in hand, rather than squeeze to see precisely how stinky it was, sold it to Netflix who got a big splash for their money (and avoiding any critical reviews with no pre-release press or screenings).

As a B-movie it was passable, suffers as is too common from the cast doing things for no better reason it says so in the script. What's your motivation. It's there, on the seventh line from the top of the page.

It could have been a lot better though, which is a shame. 10 Cloverfield Lane was very good and I can't be the only person on planet Earth who doesn't want to see Mary Elizabeth Winstead kick some serious alien ass.

citoyen

« Reply #7868 on: 13 February, 2018, 11:30:18 am »
Phantom Thread

Too clever for me. Excellent performances from the three leads. Great script, and surprisingly funny in places. Generally quite compelling to watch but... ultimately it left me cold. Not the first time I've come away from a Paul Thomas Anderson film with the feeling that I'm missing something.

citoyen

« Reply #7869 on: 13 February, 2018, 11:42:56 am »
Apparently (says the internet), it was a different movie they just decided to slot into the Cloverfield franchise

10 Cloverfield Lane was the same - I'm guessing the original scripts for both films had happy endings before JJ Abrams hijacked them. I like the idea of disparate genre films being linked together by a common theme in this way, but it needs to have a clearer vision and not just feel like they're making it up as they go along.

Apparently, the dude selling his book at the start of The Cloverfield Paradox (and spelling out the film's ending) is the brother of John Goodman's character. And the reporter is the woman who knocks on the window near the end of 10CL.

I also have a theory that the bunker at the end of TCP is the same bunker from 10CL.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7870 on: 13 February, 2018, 12:47:36 pm »
Birdman - really great. funny and occasionally uncomfortable. The grimy side of Broadway; its like Charlie Kaufman making The Player.

[I note that reviews on this thread are mixed ... can't say I'm surprised!]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7871 on: 13 February, 2018, 09:50:51 pm »
Harold and Kumar Get The Munchies.  Excellent subversion of racial stereotypes, as one review pointed out.  I liked it a lot.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7872 on: 16 February, 2018, 11:45:19 pm »
Birdman - really great. funny and occasionally uncomfortable. The grimy side of Broadway; its like Charlie Kaufman making The Player.

[I note that reviews on this thread are mixed ... can't say I'm surprised!]

I loved Birdman, failing to get Oscars for that is a travesty

Me, The Deep, about a fisherman from the Westerman Islands that was shipwrecked in the North Atlantic and survived over 6 hours in the sea at 5C-ish.  Offshore survival training would have that around 20 minutes without an immersion suit.   Based on real events, both a great survival tale and human realisation and redemption
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7874 on: 17 February, 2018, 07:02:24 am »
Best actor
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens