Author Topic: odd etrex problem  (Read 1052 times)

Martin

odd etrex problem
« on: 10 July, 2013, 11:08:19 am »
I went out on my perm as usual last night and it happily recorded distance speed riding time etc, but on the elevation screen it showed the correct altitude but the profile was much more lumpy than it should have been and it would not record a maximum or total elevation they just stayed at 0. Resetting everything made no difference nor did clearing the track log after the ride.

When I downloaded the track it gave the correct ride information but showed elevation of over 3500m which is nonsense,

This is OK for recording perms of my own to obtain PoP or pre-approved AAA DIYs but no good for anything new.

any ideas apart from a replacement unit?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: odd etrex problem
« Reply #1 on: 10 July, 2013, 06:42:03 pm »
Well you can do a hard reset.  That often works, though nearly everything goes back to factory settings.  (The contents of the mSD card are not touched, so your map and archived tracklogs.) 

Full reset
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #2 on: 10 July, 2013, 06:46:14 pm »
My Edge 705 showed a whopping 25m total ascent on the display for the whole of the Ditchling Devil, even though it was accurately measuring the elevation and plotting the graph correctly. The resulting tracklog was fine.

The Garmin firmwares are just really buggy. Updating the firmware is also a lottery. I haven't updated my firmware because I'm happy with the few annoyances of the current one.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 10 July, 2013, 07:17:18 pm »
What model Etrex? There's a lot of variation in how they calculate elevation. eg does it have a barometric altimeter.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #4 on: 11 July, 2013, 01:05:46 pm »
showed elevation of over 3500m which is nonsense
The rides that you do? It might well be perfectly accurate  :)
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.