Poll

Help me decide

Yes
No
You can have mine, I'm sick of the furry bastard

Author Topic: The Chronicles of Pete  (Read 72789 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: The Chronicles of Pete
« Reply #150 on: 10 November, 2014, 06:18:00 pm »
Got home just in time to see him eat one whole. Didn't have a chance to get it off him. I hope it wasn't poisoned.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #151 on: 10 November, 2014, 10:10:10 pm »
Tried it. He totally ignored it.

Now that is funny...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #152 on: 10 November, 2014, 10:11:23 pm »
Got home just in time to see him eat one whole. Didn't have a chance to get it off him. I hope it wasn't poisoned.

Maybe the feeding a bit less is making him hunt more?  No idea if it is true, just what was said on the cat prog the other day.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #153 on: 10 November, 2014, 10:18:28 pm »
No, I think it's the cold weather bringing the mice indoors.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #154 on: 10 November, 2014, 11:23:00 pm »
Wild organic free range mice?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #155 on: 13 November, 2014, 09:59:39 am »
When I got up this morning there was gunk on the duvet cover that looked like it might be dried blood. Pete ate his breakfast fine and then went and lay in his bed, not asleep, eyes half shut just looking sorry for himself. When I put his biscuits down he didn’t even bother to look. I had a look at his ears and one is fine but one has black tarry gunk in it and blood around the edges. I’m hoping it’s just ear mites but I’m worried that maybe the mouse was poisoned and he’s bleeding from his ear a bit. So we’re off to see Simon the Vet at 5pm

« Reply #156 on: 13 November, 2014, 10:39:48 am »
When I got up this morning there was gunk on the duvet cover that looked like it might be dried blood. Pete ate his breakfast fine and then went and lay in his bed, not asleep, eyes half shut just looking sorry for himself. When I put his biscuits down he didn’t even bother to look. I had a look at his ears and one is fine but one has black tarry gunk in it and blood around the edges. I’m hoping it’s just ear mites but I’m worried that maybe the mouse was poisoned and he’s bleeding from his ear a bit. So we’re off to see Simon the Vet at 5pm
Check he can wee properly. Neutered toms are prone to urinary tract problems.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #157 on: 13 November, 2014, 10:42:53 am »
There were massive clumps of pee in the litter tray yesterday. Would a UTI give him a gunky ear?

« Reply #158 on: 13 November, 2014, 01:28:37 pm »
no and massive clumps of pee are a good thing to see.

UTI in tomcats is life-threatening. If he had problems in that way he'd be straining to pee, possibly dribbling a little pee constantly.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #159 on: 13 November, 2014, 01:59:33 pm »
I don't see any signs of a UTI. I see a tarry, gunky ear, lethargy and loss of interest in food. Pete being really just the outer casing of a permanently voracious stomach, the last of those is the one that worries me the most.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #160 on: 13 November, 2014, 03:01:01 pm »
Fingers crossed for Pete.  :(

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #161 on: 13 November, 2014, 03:19:14 pm »
Hopefuly just a mousy that disagreed with him, rather than a poisoned one.  All available digits crossed for Pete, he seems like a good solid mog (and useful, too).  Could the gunky ear have a physical reason, like interaction with something sharp/scratchy?  He seems to be built like a brick outhouse, hopefully his constitution will shake it off, whatever it is.
Wombat

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #162 on: 13 November, 2014, 04:06:37 pm »
I've just got home to wrangle him into his carrier before we go to the vet. He has definite gunk in both ears which might be old blood or might be mites, and he has a new manky patch behind one ear which I'm sure wasn't there this morning. He's obviously been asleep all day until I came in because this morning's biscuits weren't touched.

« Reply #163 on: 13 November, 2014, 04:14:21 pm »
Get well soon Pete.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #164 on: 13 November, 2014, 06:04:21 pm »
Well, the manky patch behind his ear was fur matted with blood, and the blood has come from a slash in his ear. He obviously got into a fight last night when he went out to play and I didn't notice when he came in because I was in bed in the dark, and this morning it was too dark to see much other than gunge. £44 for a 5 day course of antibiotics. Wish me luck getting those into him.

« Reply #165 on: 13 November, 2014, 06:08:49 pm »
Glad to hear it's nothing too serious. Phew!

« Reply #166 on: 13 November, 2014, 06:46:39 pm »
A mouser & a bruiser! Glad to hear it's nothing serious  :thumbsup:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #167 on: 13 November, 2014, 07:22:43 pm »
I am so relieved.

The vet was very taken with what a lovely boy he is. We talked about his weight and he really needs to lose another 500g. There was a vet student in the examination, who remembers him from volunteering at Lothian Cat Rescue, so she was pleased to see him. He was really very good while he was in the examination room, just lay down and let the vet fuss him, and tolerated the examination of his ears without too much protest. So, I'll be keeping an eye on his wounded ear for a while, and trying to get 1.5 antibiotic tablets down him twice a day. I'm going to try poking them into prawns.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #168 on: 13 November, 2014, 07:33:59 pm »
Bribery is by far the best approach for administering medication to cats.  Unless you can master the mysterious "hold cat in one hand and quickly insert pill in the other" method used by experienced vets and TimO.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #169 on: 13 November, 2014, 08:03:39 pm »

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #170 on: 13 November, 2014, 08:04:59 pm »
Charlie (fearsome dentures, bruiser mentality) has a more-or-less permanent set of scabs and scars on his head due to fights with who-knows-what.  The tip of one ear got ripped, and now has a little kink in it.  I've long since stopped doing anything more serious than checking him over and cleaning (warm saline) anything he's missed.

OTOH, tablets? Sit him down, tilt his head back, open his jaw and pop it in.  He's a good patient, unlike the last two, who reduced to spitting furballs at the hint of medication.  Alice used to need wrapping in a towel just to take a regular worming tablet.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #171 on: 13 November, 2014, 08:20:42 pm »
I use worming liquid! I mix it in his food and he eats it fine.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #172 on: 14 November, 2014, 07:12:26 am »
Well, the good news is the tablets I poked into his Tesco beef chunks in gravy  :sick: are gone, and I think they're inside him rather than spat out somewhere. The bad news is I feel like an awful human.

When I got up yesterday morning I did what I always do - threw the duvet back to let the bed air, and then didn't make the bed like I always don't. When I went to bed last night I pulled the duvet up, and there was a massive patch of blood on it. He'd obviously come in from fighting, jumped onto the bed, and bled on it, while I didn't even notice.  :'( :'(

He seems to be much perkier now but I'll try and keep him in for a couple of nights anyway.

Charlie (fearsome dentures, bruiser mentality) has a more-or-less permanent set of scabs and scars on his head due to fights with who-knows-what.  The tip of one ear got ripped, and now has a little kink in it.  I've long since stopped doing anything more serious than checking him over and cleaning (warm saline) anything he's missed.
If I had seen the wound, I probably would have done the same, but all I saw was a gungy black ear and a cat looking sorry for himself.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #173 on: 14 November, 2014, 10:26:10 am »
£17 to get the duvet cleaned, ffs.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #174 on: 15 November, 2014, 11:04:22 am »
The vet thought he might be a bit shaken and subdued for a while, but he's back to normal. He went out to play last night. I'm not sure if he's so dim he's forgotten about his fight, or if he was looking for a rematch, but I went to bring him in after 15 minutes or so, just in case.