Author Topic: the food rant thread  (Read 229832 times)

Re: the food rant thread
« Reply #1300 on: 15 March, 2018, 05:28:31 pm »
Never mind onions, what about sliced mushrooms! And that most middle class of supermarkets, Waitrose, sell peeled garlic cloves apparently. I wonder if they magically don’t make your breath smell too?  Prompted by “pre-prepared mashed potato” being added to the “cost of living” basket  ::-)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1301 on: 15 March, 2018, 06:29:24 pm »
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #1302 on: 16 March, 2018, 09:53:35 am »
I do like microwavable mash. You can put cheese on it and eat it with a spoon. Little pleasures. I'm giving it a pass. I was brought up on Smash. I don't think we had real potatoes in my house.

I mostly avoid mushrooms anyway, I don't trust them. I suspect the market is for people who hate washing the bloody things. I presume garlic is because of the garlicky fingers, if that sort of thing bothers you. I guess pre-chopped onions avoid direct lachrymosity. I'm seeing a theme here. I don't go to Tesco anyway, so the troll-faced denizens of that establishment are safe. Which is probably good as everyone who shops at Tesco looks like a troll.

« Reply #1303 on: 16 March, 2018, 10:49:45 am »
Oi - I resemble that remark!
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

ian

« Reply #1304 on: 16 March, 2018, 10:56:10 am »
It's true. It definitely the ugliest of the major supermarkets (obviously I'd rather blind myself than go to Aldi or Lidl, good god it's probably like strolling through a Lord of Rings set). It's full of people who look they've run full-on into a wall and then repeated it to be sure.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1305 on: 16 March, 2018, 10:59:26 am »
I mostly avoid mushrooms anyway, I don't trust them. I suspect the market is for people who hate washing the bloody things.

Eh? Who washes mushrooms?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #1306 on: 16 March, 2018, 11:02:07 am »
They grow on poo.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1307 on: 16 March, 2018, 11:03:03 am »
I mostly avoid mushrooms anyway, I don't trust them. I suspect the market is for people who hate washing the bloody things.

Eh? Who washes mushrooms?

People who don't like eating mud.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1308 on: 16 March, 2018, 12:03:22 pm »
Flick it off. What's wrong with mud anyway?

« Reply #1309 on: 16 March, 2018, 12:07:31 pm »
I have a special mushroom brush from Lakeland. But I just rinse them off anyway.

« Reply #1310 on: 16 March, 2018, 12:10:27 pm »
Anyway, having duly undermined my rant, it's the other prepared stuff. Pre-sliced and chopped onions. I mean, seriously, there are people too busy or incompetent to chop an onion?

Yes, me. Fortunately the boyfriend is good at it, so I have a bag of frozen (yes, pre-chopped!) onions in the freezer for occasions when I'm left to fend for myself.

« Reply #1311 on: 16 March, 2018, 12:37:46 pm »
They grow on poo.
Sterilised poo. It's fiiiiine.

« Reply #1312 on: 16 March, 2018, 12:40:02 pm »
Anyway, having duly undermined my rant, it's the other prepared stuff. Pre-sliced and chopped onions. I mean, seriously, there are people too busy or incompetent to chop an onion?

Yes, me. Fortunately the boyfriend is good at it, so I have a bag of frozen (yes, pre-chopped!) onions in the freezer for occasions when I'm left to fend for myself.

Actually, pre-chopped onions are useful for disabled people, and I guess elderly folks also. You might not be able to hold a knife firmly, but you can stir with a spoon.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1313 on: 16 March, 2018, 12:55:22 pm »
Ordered a favourite blend of coffee the other day, and added 10 Nespresso-compatible pods of the same stuff for El Prez.

1 kg whole beans cost 13.18€
70g in pods cost 2.90€ = 41.43€ the kilo. :o

These Nespresso fiends pay dearly.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1314 on: 16 March, 2018, 12:55:33 pm »
I have a special mushroom brush from Lakeland.

I think you've just stolen ian's title for most middle-class sentence ever.

We use a lot of spent mushroom compost in our garden - we get big bags of it from a local mushroom grower. It's potent stuff. We had a huge glut of chillies and courgettes last year.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1315 on: 16 March, 2018, 05:20:36 pm »

Actually, pre-chopped onions are useful for disabled people, and I guess elderly folks also. You might not be able to hold a knife firmly, but you can stir with a spoon.

Undoubtedly true, but I suspect that’s a happy accident of the convenience culture.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #1316 on: 16 March, 2018, 06:51:55 pm »
(obviously I'd rather blind myself than go to Aldi or Lidl, good god it's probably like strolling through a Lord of Rings set)

The Morrisons and Asda near me is like the bar in Star Wars.

ian

« Reply #1317 on: 16 March, 2018, 09:15:16 pm »
Implausibly, I've never ever been in an Asda.

My mum worked was a till jockey in Morrisons though until she retired recently. So yes, I see your point.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1318 on: 16 March, 2018, 10:32:43 pm »
Implausibly, I've never ever been in an Asda.

My mum worked was a till jockey in Morrisons though until she retired recently. So yes, I see your point.

There's a '24 hour' ASDA within half a mile of this address.

I gave up going there when I became unable to walk the distance for 2am milk distress purchases.

Which were the only reason to visit that benighted place.

The local Tesco is closing but I seldom went there. The new Morrison's is closer than ASDA but David seldom visits. Aldi is just over a mile hence - we NEVER enter and Lidl's about ¾ mile north but just about all our provisions come from Sainsbury's online.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1319 on: 17 March, 2018, 12:05:34 am »
Meh.  They're all just different colour supermarkets.  Stocking eccentricities aside, most of what they sell is the same.  Of the own-brand stuff, some are good and some are bad.

Personally, I use Aldi because it's close and good at fresh meat and generic non-food items, and you can occasionally pick up a bargain on cycling gloves, tools or thermal underwear.  Sainsbury's is further away but has Lactofree products, decent veg, bigger packs of decent bogroll, proper chocolate and less wastefully sized packets of cheese.  Tesco is a decent ride away up an annoying hill and has horrid smoker-infested bike parking, but has the best rice and own-brand pure orange juice, so I do a trailer mission every several weeks.  There's a decent sized Asda not too far away that I never use because the logical cycling route, while flat, involves far too much Sustrans path shenanigans.  The nearest Morrisons is the wrong side of the Col de Priory Road, protected on all sides by some of Birmingham's finest motorists, and generally quite expensive.

Distress purchases can be made at one of the smaller Sainsbury's or two Tescos within a few hundred metres walk.  They're often useful (especially as someone pointed out the utility of self-humiliation checkouts for disposal of excess change), but more expensive.

rr

« Reply #1320 on: 18 March, 2018, 10:31:39 pm »
Meh.  They're all just different colour supermarkets.  Stocking eccentricities aside, most of what they sell is the same.  Of the own-brand stuff, some are good and some are bad.

Personally, I use Aldi because it's close and good at fresh meat and generic non-food items, and you can occasionally pick up a bargain on cycling gloves, tools or thermal underwear.  Sainsbury's is further away but has Lactofree products, decent veg, bigger packs of decent bogroll, proper chocolate and less wastefully sized packets of cheese.  Tesco is a decent ride away up an annoying hill and has horrid smoker-infested bike parking, but has the best rice and own-brand pure orange juice, so I do a trailer mission every several weeks.  There's a decent sized Asda not too far away that I never use because the logical cycling route, while flat, involves far too much Sustrans path shenanigans.  The nearest Morrisons is the wrong side of the Col de Priory Road, protected on all sides by some of Birmingham's finest motorists, and generally quite expensive.

Distress purchases can be made at one of the smaller Sainsbury's or two Tescos within a few hundred metres walk.  They're often useful (especially as someone pointed out the utility of self-humiliation checkouts for disposal of excess change), but more expensive.
Aldi chocolate is much better than most of the stuff in Sainsbury's.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1321 on: 28 March, 2018, 09:41:39 am »
Chocolate... Yesterday I accompanied Mrs T to the misbegotten clip joint organic supermarket she buys stuff in. The energy provided by my breakfast began to run out as we approached the cash desk so to crank my blood sugar up again I grabbed a miniature bar of chocolate from a queue-side box and we shared it in the car. Nice mandarin flavour.

Back home I looked at the till receipt: 2.87 € the damned thing cost. Jesus wept.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1322 on: 28 March, 2018, 01:11:04 pm »
Unlikely to throw your diabetes out of kilter at that price...   :demon:;) ;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1323 on: 28 March, 2018, 02:58:16 pm »
I'd use it instead of metformin but the price per tablet would shame Shkreli.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1324 on: 28 March, 2018, 03:19:10 pm »
Have you encountered food that is Kosher for Passover?

Some food prices are quite reasonable, like Elswood Pickled Cucumbers.

Some are not.