Author Topic: Edge Touring tales of fails!  (Read 2282 times)

Edge Touring tales of fails!
« on: 08 February, 2015, 07:59:10 pm »
After today's ride I uploaded the GPS device, as you do. For some reason it has recorded the distance okay, 166km, and the ride time, 7:42:41, but in the GoldenCheeta programme, Strava, and Garmin Connect it only shows 105km, a duration or time elapsed on Strava of 7:42:01 and a ride time of 5:09:02!
I've been cheated  >:( of 61km and over two hours of riding time! However on the device it shows the correct distance, 166km, and a ride time, 7:42:41. Firm/Software bug?  ???
Anybody else seen this on their Edge device?

ETA I've changed the subject title rather than start a new thread.  :thumbsup:

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Edge Touring failed route record!
« Reply #1 on: 08 February, 2015, 08:06:35 pm »
I've seen similar in fit files people have sent me for repair.

The summary data is correct, but the actual tracklog is cut short.
So distances calculated from the tracklog will be short compared to the summary distance.

In the cases which I've seen, the fit file simply stopped recording trackpoints for no apparent reason, and no recovery was possible.
There was no data to recover.

I suspect the firmware took a brainfart for some unknown reason.

Re: Edge Touring tales of fails!
« Reply #2 on: 29 March, 2015, 12:53:14 pm »
Another Edge Touring tale!

The rubber covers for the USB port and the micro SD card aren't totally water proof!  :facepalm:
During my very wet ride today the device decided to do a half arsed reset and set my screens to default!  ??? No data appears to have been lost and I just had to re-setup the screen info!

« Reply #3 on: 29 March, 2015, 02:28:49 pm »
My new one didn't even get out of the door - I was shocked at the poor screen quality and the convoluted menus. Putting that to one side, 3 out 4 gpx files would not load - became invisible in the folder. Shut down for no reason (auto off was off) x 2. And this was just playing with it out of the box. I've lived through the 80's - no need to return there. Sent it back to Wiggle for refund.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #4 on: 28 April, 2015, 04:42:13 pm »
My new one didn't even get out of the door - I was shocked at the poor screen quality and the convoluted menus. Putting that to one side, 3 out 4 gpx files would not load - became invisible in the folder. Shut down for no reason (auto off was off) x 2. And this was just playing with it out of the box. I've lived through the 80's - no need to return there. Sent it back to Wiggle for refund.

Out of interest what did you get instead?

« Reply #5 on: 28 April, 2015, 11:48:23 pm »
Nothing - I've concluded that a good usable navigation gps has yet to be made. I've previously used a Mio 505 but Mio have mastered the art of bricking a machine with badly tested system upgrades - latest 4.2 upgrade has now been withdrawn because of so many issues. Good quality head unit fed by mobile phone has to be the way forward. Wahoo RFLKT is going the right way, but terrible screen and poor quality.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #6 on: 30 April, 2015, 09:57:03 am »
Well you're hard to please.  I've been paperless since the start of 2006 and never regretted it for a moment (using always Etrex Legend or Vista models).  Admittedly I don't often use the 'navigation' aspect (that is, routing with 'follow road') but when I have done, the evident limitations have always seemed completely livable-with and a huge amount better than any alternative.  And on long tours, carrying a spare GPS is a lot smaller and lighter than carrying maps as backup.

My partner Sheila leads cycling tours in the far east (mostly India) and for those is 100% GPS-dependent.  (If you saw the local maps you'd understand why!)

We did once, in a spirit of adventure, tour the length of France just planning the route as we went, in the GPS on a daily basis - something that is often held to be impractical with such a small screen and clunky interface - well I suppose it helped that we knew many of the roads anyway - it all seemed to work pretty well to me, inputting the next day's route can even be done with one hand while drinking a beer with the other, and takes around the same amount of time.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #7 on: 08 May, 2015, 04:40:40 pm »
Ipbike running on a Sony Xperia waterproof phone and you are sorted. Been using my Xperia Z ultra for Audax for the last 18 months months.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

« Reply #8 on: 11 May, 2015, 02:25:01 pm »
Ipbike running on a Sony Xperia waterproof phone and you are sorted. Been using my Xperia Z ultra for Audax for the last 18 months months.

How do you mount this to the handlebar? As its waterproof, presumably you don't use a bag, which can cook phones anyway. Quad lock is impressive.

« Reply #9 on: 15 May, 2015, 09:44:33 am »

How do you mount this to the handlebar? As its waterproof, presumably you don't use a bag, which can cook phones anyway. Quad lock is impressive.

I'm also using the Xperia Z Ultra with an OS 1:50000 Viewranger App. It works really well.
In terms of mounting - don't rely on the Quadlock, the sticky 3M patch isn't strong enough to hold such a large phone. I've made a hybrid mount, using a Quadlock mount resin bonded to a phone holder, instead of the supplied 3M patch. I've also fitted a thin cord lanyard, just in case.