Author Topic: 100 Lux dynamo light  (Read 45206 times)

Re: 100 Lux dynamo light
« Reply #375 on: January 12, 2018, 08:36:20 pm »
It does sound like both my lights have the same issue Kim identified but I don't find it too much of an issue, in fact it's a good indicator to ensure I have reconnected my dynamo correctly after the bike has been in the team car

The inconvenience of the switch fault depends mainly on the geometry of your bike, vis how easily you can reach the switch while in motion.

With my recumbents this is 'difficult' (requires sitting forward in the seat while freewheeling) and 'impossible' (you can't sit forward in the seat - the handlebars are in the way) respectively.  Similarly if it's mounted low on the forks or if access is blocked by luggage, or whatever.

When I thought it was bad design rather than a fault, I installed a handlebar-mounted switch which interrupts the supply from the dynamo.  Since the sensor doesn't actually switch the light off, and DRL - while occasionally useful - wastes power I might rather be charging batteries with, I've kept the extra switch for convenience.

Which switch is it? A good switch can maybe turn mine back to life (being used) again.

Kim

• An appetite for the epic, but no real stamina
« Reply #376 on: January 12, 2018, 09:09:36 pm »
Which switch is it? A good switch can maybe turn mine back to life (being used) again.

Because nice handlebar switches are hard, I used eBay's finest cheap shitty motorcycle light switch from China.

Something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-8-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Handlebar-Headlight-Fog-Spot-Light-On-Off-Switch-2Wire/152529341546

I de-soldered the supplied wiring (which is relatively thick) and connected Schmidt coax to the siwtch terminals directly, for neatness and to eliminate an extra point of failure.

It seems to work well enough.  Not *too* massive if there's somewhere sensible for it to fit on your bars.  It's following the "open, so the water drains out" school of weatherproofing, and the way I see it, if it can cope with DC and motorcycle speeds, it should be fine on a bicycle.

(If your IQ-X is in warranty, you might as well get a replacement, thobut.)
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

« Reply #377 on: January 12, 2018, 10:31:21 pm »
I used this rewirable switch for an additional  'main' beam(hence switch):
http://www.classicmotorcyclespares.com/index.php/default/dip-switch-universal-style.html#Switches

« Reply #378 on: January 12, 2018, 10:42:52 pm »
It's almost a wonder we don't talk about T-lights rather than DRLs
That's because cars started using daytime lights long enough before pedal bikes that DRL was already a widely accepted term

« Reply #379 on: January 12, 2018, 11:23:37 pm »

Because nice handlebar switches are hard, I used eBay's finest cheap shitty motorcycle light switch from China.

Something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-8-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Handlebar-Headlight-Fog-Spot-Light-On-Off-Switch-2Wire/152529341546

I de-soldered the supplied wiring (which is relatively thick) and connected Schmidt coax to the siwtch terminals directly, for neatness and to eliminate an extra point of failure.

It seems to work well enough.  Not *too* massive if there's somewhere sensible for it to fit on your bars.  It's following the "open, so the water drains out" school of weatherproofing, and the way I see it, if it can cope with DC and motorcycle speeds, it should be fine on a bicycle.

(If your IQ-X is in warranty, you might as well get a replacement, thobut.)

In that case I might better dig out the old Shimano switches I still have somewhere in a box.
I already sent in the IQ-X once, Bumm doesn't rate this as a failure....

Kim

• An appetite for the epic, but no real stamina
« Reply #380 on: January 12, 2018, 11:27:30 pm »
I already sent in the IQ-X once, Bumm doesn't rate this as a failure....

They did when I emailed them about it.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

« Reply #381 on: January 13, 2018, 09:53:19 pm »
Assuming you've got a bike that's light enough and unencumbered by luggage so you can easily pick up the front end and spin the wheel to switch on, that bit's not really a problem. What's far more of a problem in practice is riding the first ten metres in darkness. And not having standlights until you've ridden a bit further.
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)