Author Topic: How to gain experience of riding through the night.......... on a Friday  (Read 33289 times)

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
Re: How to gain experience of riding through the night.......... on a Friday
« Reply #50 on: 07 December, 2015, 03:20:30 pm »

And as you've mentioned it, do you consider yourself a serious cyclist having packed PBP at the 350k mark and then bemoaned the ride profile as 'boring'?

Never mind @mmmmartin's impostering on PBP. His 7 week solo tour across Patagonia earlier this year was an even bigger joke!
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

« Reply #51 on: 07 December, 2015, 03:20:44 pm »
Wrap up warmer than you would normally, maybe ride near the back (so you keep moving, albeit slowly) and enjoy the journey.

If "not serious cyclists" frustrate you, if non-technical cyclists frustrate you or just slow cyclists frustrate you, this may not be the ride for you.

Treat it as an opportunity to help people become, more serious, more technical and quicker.

I did a Brighton FNRTTC about 6 years ago, it was November, very wet, very slow and very cold..... oh yes.. and great fun.

I think that was the one I was on. It started spitting as we left London and was pissing down later in the night - and cold.

H

It is / was.
I remember both of you on it.
It is one I abandond at the half way stop, having been thoroughly soaked through to the sodden.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #52 on: 07 December, 2015, 04:04:12 pm »
Photographic confirmation:

My caption at the time read:
Hummers  and The Things. The red streak on the left is the trail of smut and innuendo that Hummers leaves wherever he goes

There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #53 on: 07 December, 2015, 04:06:54 pm »
It looks like he is about to be taken out by a pair of comets.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #54 on: 07 December, 2015, 05:01:21 pm »
Photographic confirmation:

My caption at the time read:
Hummers  and The Things. The red streak on the left is the trail of smut and innuendo that Hummers leaves wherever he goes

:thumbsup:

H

« Reply #55 on: 07 December, 2015, 05:20:55 pm »
I'm very strongly with mmmmartin/Adam/Kim on this.

Much like doing supported charity rides umpteen years ago to build my confidence at 'distance' riding (as I suspect many still do - Sportives as well) the FNRttS and FNRttC built my confidence in firstly riding through the night and then riding day and night.  The mix of the experienced and the newbies makes for a great shared experience IMO.  I would now class myself as a pretty competent night rider and have led a few over-nighters in the same spirit with the club I helped to form.  Such 'inclusive' events for want of better word are hugely appreciated by those trying to learn their craft, build their experience and push their boundaries.  That so many like-minded cyclists are happy to ride with the slowest, help with the issues and are prepared to give something of themselves in helping others is to be applauded. 
This might not suit everybody and maybe they should ride elsewhere.  It can't be all things to all men.

« Reply #56 on: 07 December, 2015, 05:23:01 pm »
ooh, I didnt know you were running a cambridge - london ride in October next year.. let me know if you need any local (or route chosing) help!

will see you there, if not before

mike (cambridge)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #57 on: 07 December, 2015, 05:37:12 pm »
There's a preview ride on the route this Friday if you're free:-

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/not-a-christmas-friday-night-ride-11th-december.189707/
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #58 on: 07 December, 2015, 06:36:06 pm »
Wrap up warmer than you would normally, maybe ride near the back (so you keep moving, albeit slowly) and enjoy the journey.

If "not serious cyclists" frustrate you, if non-technical cyclists frustrate you or just slow cyclists frustrate you, this may not be the ride for you.

Treat it as an opportunity to help people become, more serious, more technical and quicker.

I did a Brighton FNRTTC about 6 years ago, it was November, very wet, very slow and very cold..... oh yes.. and great fun.

I think that was the one I was on. It started spitting as we left London and was pissing down later in the night - and cold.

H

It is / was.
I remember both of you on it.
It is one I abandond at the half way stop, having been thoroughly soaked through to the sodden.

Keeks from the same ride (we were all drip-drying in an all-night cafe).

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #59 on: 07 December, 2015, 06:44:35 pm »
My coldest: THE Southend ride. Minus 7, ice all over the road, water bottles froze, had seven layers on. That was Cold.
My wettest: a Brighton ride (not sure which) when on the descent after the Beacon there was water all over the road and every time a vehicle went past it was just like being hit with a fire hose of dirty ice-cold sewage. Then we sat outside the Madeira scoffing a full English fry-up as the icy gales hurtled off the Channel. (This tops, but only just, the final day of London-John o Groats when we were utterly drenched after Wick.)
Most violent: the Martletts charity ride with the punch up outside the pub in Tooting. Alas for the perpetrator there happened to be about a dozen coppers from Tooting nick on the ride, exactly as two of their mates were sorting out the wrongdoers. They stopped to lend a hand: much to the surprise of the wrongdoers who were wondering where the f*ck all these coppers had come from.

Happy days.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #60 on: 07 December, 2015, 08:53:52 pm »
My coldest: THE Southend ride. Minus 7, ice all over the road, water bottles froze, had seven layers on. That was Cold.
My wettest: a Brighton ride (not sure which) when on the descent after the Beacon there was water all over the road and every time a vehicle went past it was just like being hit with a fire hose of dirty ice-cold sewage. Then we sat outside the Madeira scoffing a full English fry-up as the icy gales hurtled off the Channel. (This tops, but only just, the final day of London-John o Groats when we were utterly drenched after Wick.)
Most violent: the Martletts charity ride with the punch up outside the pub in Tooting. Alas for the perpetrator there happened to be about a dozen coppers from Tooting nick on the ride, exactly as two of their mates were sorting out the wrongdoers. They stopped to lend a hand: much to the surprise of the wrongdoers who were wondering where the f*ck all these coppers had come from.

Happy days.
Ah! The Wheatsheaf.
To this day, I wish I had witnessed that.
Coppers in Lycra.
Unfortunately that night, my duties were confined to the pointy end of the ride....
All the action took place a mile or two behind me.

LMT

« Reply #61 on: 07 December, 2015, 09:37:14 pm »
IMO and IME whilst these rides are very good, they have over the last couple of years attracted a lesser calibre of rider. By this I mean:-

i) The amount of times I've been, and have seen undertaking by other cyclists.

ii) The need to bring a Dinotte specced light to a group ride and have it on it's highest setting.

iii) The amount of 'dork discs/dinner plates', helmet wearers and hi-vis that I've seen on rides in the last couple of years has risen exponentially.

iv) The need for assistance to change an innertube.

Like I said, they are good rides, but if you are a serious cyclist get ready to do a lot of head shaking and chin stroking.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

i) The whole idea of the ride is to be as inclusive as possible, it is not a coincidence that some participants are less experienced. It's not a bug, it's a feature.

ii) As for road skills, PBP was much worse than any FNRttC. And many more riders wore high-viz!  :o

iii) Most people get get magic of the FNRttC, a few don't.

iv) please define "serious cyclist" for me

i) No, this is lack of common sense. If for whatever reason you really must undertake, then a shout of 'on your left' is most welcome. Other than this it should not be done - but it is.

ii) You cannot compare the amount of Hi-vis purely because over in France it is a legal requirement. As for road craft I found PBP in general fine. The only run in I had was with some sock and sandal wearing French guy who felt the need to stay about a foot from my rear wheel. I told him politely to back off, he then overtook me going up a hill, gassed, I overtook him and that was the last i saw of him.

iii) Depends on your perception, I had already done more than a few century's before my first FNR, to me it was just a bike ride through the night.

iv) Someone who takes their cycling seriously.

LMT

« Reply #62 on: 07 December, 2015, 09:38:41 pm »
It may have been LMT with whom I spent some quite happy time chatting in the hotel before PBP and in the flesh he seemed a very nice chap indeed.

Hummers is correct: Simon is taking a well-earned break and understandably so. He started the club from scratch and a few years ago was planning, recce-ing and leading 14 rides a year plus a week's tour (John o Groats, Normandy) and a trip to northern France for a weekend. I suspect he was out of pocket on things such as CTC Affiliation fees etc. Simon's Little Helpers have stepped forward to take on the organisation and we'd like to continue the club in exactly the same mould.
The main method of communication with interested riders is email: there are 1,500 names on that list. Cycle Chat is favoured by some whereas YACF tends to be used by audaxers. Hence my OP.

Not me.

« Reply #63 on: 07 December, 2015, 10:02:20 pm »
....... The only run in I had was with some sock and sandal wearing French guy who felt the need to stay about a foot from my rear wheel. I told him politely to back off, he then overtook me going up a hill, gassed, I overtook him and that was the last i saw of him.

Seems that French bloke was taking his cycling seriously if he was doing PBP and anyone riding PBP, whether they finished or not, must take it seriously as they must have completed a SR series in order to be there in the first place.

Great danger of becoming elitist with such matters as IMO you can wear socks and sandals, have a beard, wear a helmet, wear hi-vis even when it is not a legal requirement, help others to fix a puncture to ensure the whole process minimises any delay to others when riding as a group, and still be a serious cyclist.

What do you think defines a serious cyclist?

LMT

« Reply #64 on: 07 December, 2015, 10:13:01 pm »
....... The only run in I had was with some sock and sandal wearing French guy who felt the need to stay about a foot from my rear wheel. I told him politely to back off, he then overtook me going up a hill, gassed, I overtook him and that was the last i saw of him.

Seems that French bloke was taking his cycling seriously if he was doing PBP and anyone riding PBP, whether they finished or not, must take it seriously as they must have completed a SR series in order to be there in the first place.

Great danger of becoming elitist with such matters as IMO you can wear socks and sandals, have a beard, wear a helmet, wear hi-vis even when it is not a legal requirement, help others to fix a puncture to ensure the whole process minimises any delay to others when riding as a group, and still be a serious cyclist.

What do you think defines a serious cyclist?

Seriousness is a relative word in cycling, and I've already answered your question.

« Reply #65 on: 07 December, 2015, 10:27:45 pm »
IMO and IME whilst these rides are very good, they have over the last couple of years attracted a lesser calibre of rider. By this I mean:-

i) The amount of times I've been, and have seen undertaking by other cyclists.

ii) The need to bring a Dinotte specced light to a group ride and have it on it's highest setting.

iii) The amount of 'dork discs/dinner plates', helmet wearers and hi-vis that I've seen on rides in the last couple of years has risen exponentially.

iv) The need for assistance to change an innertube.

Like I said, they are good rides, but if you are a serious cyclist get ready to do a lot of head shaking and chin stroking.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

I thought this level of arrogance only existed in the sportive world. I look at a "dork disc" and see a spoke protector.I look at someone being helped to change a tube and it it boosts my faith in human nature

« Reply #66 on: 07 December, 2015, 10:27:52 pm »
Seriousness is a relative word in cycling, and I've already answered your question.

OK.  Seems like that French bloke was a serious cyclist then, but perhaps not as serious as someone not wearing socks and sandals.  I suppose seriousness is in the eyes of the beholder.

« Reply #67 on: 07 December, 2015, 10:33:48 pm »
I did a ride a few years back with simon the guy who started Friday night to the coast. top man dry sense of humour and a very serious cyclist.I believe he has handed over the reigns now.

« Reply #68 on: 07 December, 2015, 11:05:38 pm »
The Fridays are just brilliant. They do what they say on the website. They are unbelievably welcoming, encouraging and patient.

The rides are great fun.

Do I need to say more ?
Rust never sleeps

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #69 on: 07 December, 2015, 11:31:18 pm »
some sock and sandal wearing 
Alas I wore sandals with socks on my PBP attempt, and on some qualifiers too. I find when the feet expand wearing sandals allows them to expand but cycling shoes do not. YMMV.

Too late now to wish I hadn't bothered to make the OP. Sorry about all the fuss.

But I thought I'd ask if anyone wanted some help in that big leap into riding through the night, and if you have read this far, the offer still stands. And if you're an experienced night rider who wants a laugh in good company, the offer also stands. I'll post some updates of Fridays rides. GSOH welcome.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #70 on: 08 December, 2015, 12:18:08 am »
Given the FNRttCs absence from here, the OP was completely valid.

I got suckered in to doing night rides because I chanced on an early FNRttC thread. I am soooooo glad I did. As are the rest of the hatlers.

Providing that same possibility for 'serious' riders-to-be (who just don't know it yet) by posting here is sound.
Rust never sleeps

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #71 on: 08 December, 2015, 12:43:08 am »

I got suckered in to doing night rides because I chanced on an early FNRttC thread. I am soooooo glad I did. As are the rest of the hatlers.

Providing that same possibility for 'serious' riders-to-be (who just don't know it yet) by posting here is sound.

Just to point out, that even though I understand why this ride is posted here, this is the Audax board. The correct board to advertise this sort of event is (strictly speaking) the Rides & Touring board as that is where other such rides are generally advertised.

The previous trustee of the FNRtTC was none to fond of YACF and it is my understanding that it was missing from any boards on here for that reason. I for one am pleased to see it being promoted on here as the rides are a great experience for new and experienced riders.

H

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #72 on: 08 December, 2015, 12:50:05 am »
The previous trustee of the FNRtTC was none to fond of YACF and it is my understanding that it was missing from any boards on here for that reason.

My understanding was that whatever the politics[1] it was simply an attempt to keep canonical discussion (particularly by newbies) of the actual rides in a single place where chinese whispers could be avoided and questions would only need to be answered once.  Anyone who's coordinated any kind of event across multiple media should understand why that's reasonable.  I don't think he ever had a problem with general advertisement of The Fridays existence or the retrospective posting of ride reports.

[1] Which is pre-historic to many of us.

« Reply #73 on: 08 December, 2015, 07:09:55 am »

Just to point out, that even though I understand why this ride is posted here, this is the Audax board. The correct board to advertise this sort of event is (strictly speaking) the Rides & Touring board as that is where other such rides are generally advertised.

I rather inferred that the purpose of the post was to offer existing shorter-mileage audax riders the chance to dip their toes into overnight riding and thereby increase the distances they feel comfortable undertaking. Strikes me it's in about the right place.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #74 on: 08 December, 2015, 08:23:24 am »
I've been on many FNRttCs and have had quite a few experiences of people undertaking me (I do tend to keep a strong position on the road), I've even had one n*bber cycle between myself and another cyclist as we were having a conversation at 20+mph. Whenever I've raised this with the ride leader it has been dealt with and I think there are n*bbers everywhere, you can't generalise about this one ride or the riders on it.