Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 428685 times)

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #650 on: 07 January, 2018, 02:26:58 pm »
Just very-nearly blew up my USA->UK mains transformer on first time of using it (in UK).  Plugged it in without first checking the input voltage selector which was of course still set to 110V rather than 240V.
Loud Bang and a release of magic smoke and one of the house breakers tripped. Thought it was a goner, but with a bit of poking around inside the case I realized it was only the (pointless) built-in 5V USB regulator that had melted down. I disconnected it completely and powered back up and it still seems to be working fine.  Now drinking my first UK latte made using my 110V espresso machine. Close one!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #651 on: 07 January, 2018, 04:15:33 pm »
Went to Aldi on the Sunday afternoon before the start of term.   :facepalm:

« Reply #652 on: 12 January, 2018, 01:30:48 pm »
Text message exchange:
Husband to me: I've been offered a place in <blah> race (he was on the waiting list). It's the Sunday after next.
Me to him: We've got something on that day, haven't we? What is it?
Him: It's my Birthday...
 :facepalm:

Fortunately I have form in this area. He's probably quite impressed that I remembered we had "something" on.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #653 on: 12 January, 2018, 02:31:33 pm »
El Presidente's wife takes the opposite tack: he can't go for a ride on his birthday because she invites the family.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

fuzzy

« Reply #654 on: 16 January, 2018, 11:36:48 pm »
After over a week of overcast, last night I got to play with my new eyepieces for my tellingscope. One of them is a 2" behemoth so I took the 1.25" adaptor out and inserted said behemoth. Lined up on the Orion Nebula and........ PANIC :o New EP won't focus.

Much cursing and adjusting and still nothing but a blur.  I start to remove the EP continuing to curse and fume but notice that, just as the EP leaves the scope, focus is achieved. After much head scratching I remember the 2" EP adaptor that came with the scope.....

:facepalm: and verily   :-[

« Reply #655 on: 23 January, 2018, 10:46:32 am »
When adding all the ingredients to the bread maker one should really check to make sure that one has installed the mixer paddle first ...
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #656 on: 26 January, 2018, 01:09:23 pm »
1)  I'm not new to this cycling lark.  I've ridden audaxen (even manged SR), I tour, and commute regularly.  One would expect me to be suitably equipped.  Hah!  Last night on the trip home my chain snapped.  No problem, will fix with a kwik-link, think I.  Except I had no such thing in my tool kit.  (This goes nicely with having the wrong sized tube when my rear tyre went flat last month.)

2) I walked the 2km back from whence I had come to leave my bike and hop on the Tube (closer than the closest station which would allow a bicycle).  I open up my wallet to get my Oyster card and ... no card.  I forgot to put it back into my wallet after its most recent usage.  A single ticket cost nearly double what I would have paid with the Oyster!

And that, I thought, would be it.

3) Looking at the busted chain I see it split at the kwik-link - one half of it is still there.  If I had taken a look and seen this last night I could have hunted around for the other half in hopes that it hadn't broken, but the link had somehow just come undone, thus allowing me to cycle home.

:(
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #657 on: 26 January, 2018, 01:13:44 pm »
3) Looking at the busted chain I see it split at the kwik-link - one half of it is still there.  If I had taken a look and seen this last night I could have hunted around for the other half in hopes that it hadn't broken, but the link had somehow just come undone, thus allowing me to cycle home.

I've never had a chain 'break' anywhere else, and other than the most recent occasion (where it happened in the middle of a Big Scary Roundabout), I've always managed to retrieve the pingfuckit.  Obviously if you're *not* carrying a suitable replacement, your chances of finding it are greatly reduced.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #658 on: 26 January, 2018, 01:58:37 pm »
I carry a chain tool for this reason. In 20+ years of carrying it I've only used it once on the road, and that was for someone else.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #659 on: 26 January, 2018, 02:17:30 pm »
I carry a chain tool for this reason. In 20+ years of carrying it I've only used it once on the road, and that was for someone else.

There's a chain tool on my multi-tool.  Some genius designed it so it can only be used to break, rather than make a chain.   :facepalm:

I know that quicklinks are greatly preferred for modern chains, but bodgily joining a chain is certainly preferable to a long walk home.

« Reply #660 on: 26 January, 2018, 02:19:31 pm »
Remembers The Tunnels Ride.......  curls up in a ball in the corner of his office & starts moaning .... :facepalm:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #661 on: 26 January, 2018, 02:23:49 pm »
Remembers The Tunnels Ride.......  curls up in a ball in the corner of his office & starts moaning .... :facepalm:

That was, erm, interesting.   :D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #662 on: 26 January, 2018, 02:34:22 pm »
Took me a moment to remember which particular one you were referring to.  Possibly because your repeated chain repairs (and associated loss of gear range) didn't actually impact the average speed of the ride significantly.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #663 on: 26 January, 2018, 03:22:58 pm »
When adding all the ingredients to the bread maker one should really check to make sure that one has installed the mixer paddle first ...
I've done that. Results in an inedible mess. I've also on one occasion added all the ingredients except... the yeast. That resulted in something actually eatable but best described as a brick of flat bread!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #664 on: 26 January, 2018, 03:25:51 pm »
The mixer paddle's been stuck in our breadmaker since a few months after we bought it.  Takes a bit of ultra-violence to make the loaf come out, but it's fine.

Forgetting the yeast is how you make dwarf bread.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #665 on: 26 January, 2018, 03:48:01 pm »

2) I walked the 2km back from whence I had come to leave my bike and hop on the Tube (closer than the closest station which would allow a bicycle).  I open up my wallet to get my Oyster card and ... no card.  I forgot to put it back into my wallet after its most recent usage.  A single ticket cost nearly double what I would have paid with the Oyster!
At the risk of giving egg sucking lessons, a contactless bank card can be used in lieu of an Oyster card, getting Oyster style pricing.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #666 on: 26 January, 2018, 06:08:23 pm »
Took me a moment to remember which particular one you were referring to.  Possibly because your repeated chain repairs (and associated loss of gear range) didn't actually impact the average speed of the ride significantly.

That's because I was riding it  ;)
the slower you go the more you see

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #667 on: 26 January, 2018, 10:22:22 pm »

At the risk of giving egg sucking lessons, a contactless bank card can be used in lieu of an Oyster card, getting Oyster style pricing.

Should I add goof that as number 2.5, or 4?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

ian

« Reply #668 on: 30 January, 2018, 08:14:27 am »
I just learned what happens if you forget to put the filter basket in the coffee robot.

You come down to flooded kitchen, 8 mugs of coffee having run along the gaps between tiles, under units, behind units, until the entire kitchen floor is basically coffee. I'm not sure how 8 mugs of coffee substituted for the biblical flood, but it did. I don't have a small kitchen.

So one entire jumbo kitchen roll later, one quest for the mop, I think I got most of it. I'll be finding grounds for months, I'm sure. Whatever went under the units that I couldn't soak up with a bit of newspaper will be a curious stain to speculate upon the next time the kitchen is replaced (no time soon).

I'm such an idiot. There's the filter basket sitting on the drainer.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #669 on: 30 January, 2018, 08:53:19 am »
Just very-nearly blew up my USA->UK mains transformer on first time of using it (in UK).  Plugged it in without first checking the input voltage selector which was of course still set to 110V rather than 240V.
[...]. Close one!

That USA to UK transformer will be the death of me. Hooked up the usain home theater kit to check if it works ok from a transformer. In my haste I managed to plug it all into the 220v rather than 110v outlet. (the 110v is a USA only socket but the 220v has one of those multiple style sockets that accept UK, European and, damn it, USA plugs)
Happily the AV receiver has a protection circuit and just didn't power on - no damage done. The sub however sat there for a few seconds before making a deep dull "thud" and will speak no more. Thankfully it was a relatively cheap one.
Large slab of gaffer tape requisitioned to cover up that 220v outlet.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #670 on: 30 January, 2018, 12:36:53 pm »
I'm not sure how 8 mugs of coffee substituted for the biblical flood, but it did. I don't have a small kitchen.

It's a well known scientific fact that liquid in a container occupies considerably less physical space than spilt liquid.

Anyway, to put your eight cups into perspective, before Christmas, I had a trug containing approximately 40 litres of water* on the kitchen counter that I wanted to empty. So I tried to lift it to carry it over to the sink. And that's when I discovered that the handles weren't designed to support that kind of weight...

*actually a weak bleach solution that I'd been using to sterilise bottles for my home brew. The kitchen smelled like a swimming pool for several days afterwards.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #671 on: 30 January, 2018, 12:57:04 pm »
the 220v has one of those multiple style sockets that accept UK, European and, damn it, USA plugs

The type Big Clive has named "death-daptor"?  Those are good.  My favourite feature is the way they'll accept the earth pin of an appropriately rotated British plug in the live terminal.

Like many naughty things, they're sometimes useful, but best avoided first thing in the morning or without adult supervision.

« Reply #672 on: 30 January, 2018, 02:03:43 pm »
Driving back last night from funeral in northampton, googlemaps wanted to send me from M1 to M18. "No, i thought, I know better, I'm staying on the M1"

3miles further on, crawling through miles of roadworks, then a diversion that toook hours. what should have been a 2.5-3 hour drive took 5 hours.  Bloody idiot
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #673 on: 30 January, 2018, 02:29:03 pm »
Driving back last night from funeral in northampton, googlemaps wanted to send me from M1 to M18. "No, i thought, I know better, I'm staying on the M1"

3miles further on, crawling through miles of roadworks, then a diversion that toook hours. what should have been a 2.5-3 hour drive took 5 hours.  Bloody idiot
I've stopped questioning my satnav when it makes detour recommendations. I know i'm going to regret it one day, but it's done me proud over the last couple of years.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #674 on: 30 January, 2018, 03:07:12 pm »

I've stopped questioning my satnav when it makes detour recommendations. I know i'm going to regret it one day, but it's done me proud over the last couple of years.

Lucky you, the last time I believed the sat nav it took me off the M25 at Leatherhead to go through Brooklands and West Byfleet back to S'dale.

Straight into the traffic that the BBC Surrey travel news had been broadcasting warnings about for the last hour.  :facepalm: