Author Topic: Humber Hundred  (Read 2091 times)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
Humber Hundred
« on: 21 July, 2016, 12:34:03 am »
The Humber Hundred... perhaps the beginnings of an idea for a Brevet Populaire 100km ride. This was a really beautiful summer ride made exceptionally hard by the hot summer weather. I just hadn't expected the heat and I suspect I had a touch of the sun!

I've posted a new journal entry about this one... it has been a while since my Ordination and I'm so full of thoughts and the need to do some theological reflection I'm not sure how well this ride report came out. I had to start writing again though - or I was going to get stuck in a rut of non-writing. Sermon to work on tomorrow afternoon and a million ideas flowing around about that.

balancingontwowheels.com

Re: Humber Hundred
« Reply #1 on: 21 July, 2016, 12:59:40 am »
Lovely, Graeme.  I know the first part well from a couple of Dinner Darts to York.  Surprised you didn't mention that palace of industrial architecture, Barton Cement works!

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #2 on: 21 July, 2016, 08:26:26 am »
Barton Cement Works! Yes, that was a significant piece of industrial architecture, but I was mainly looking the other way at the time. There is a danger of letting the 'memorable' points become the ugly-beautiful moments, but I think that about 90% of the route was on empty country lanes surrounded by fields and wide open views, and the ever present feeling that I hadn't travelled far: mainly because I was cycling along opposite banks of the rivers.

There were a few typos and spelling mistakes in my hurry to publish - my hurry to get writing again. I'll go back and edit that, but I feel much better for having engaged my memory and reflected on a rather lovely journey.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #3 on: 21 July, 2016, 08:55:45 am »
Thanks Graeme, that looks lovely  :-*
Milk please, no sugar.

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #4 on: 21 July, 2016, 10:09:14 am »
A great read as always Graeme. :thumbsup:

I will plan a ride over the Humber Bridge from my place in the near future, so I would be interested to hear about your views on doing the route anti clockwise.

« Reply #5 on: 02 August, 2016, 10:10:18 pm »
Cheers Graeme, I was brought up in North Lincolnshire and only moved away several years ago so really enjoyed reading your report.  When I can get away with it I take a bike with me when we travel down to Gainsborough visiting family, it's always good to take a ride along the Trent/Humber.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #6 on: 05 August, 2016, 07:57:34 am »
Cheers Graeme, I was brought up in North Lincolnshire and only moved away several years ago so really enjoyed reading your report.  When I can get away with it I take a bike with me when we travel down to Gainsborough visiting family, it's always good to take a ride along the Trent/Humber.

Cheers Joe... What do you think, would it make a popular 100k Brevet?