Author Topic: Keeping it fun for the kids...  (Read 2329 times)

Keeping it fun for the kids...
« on: 12 September, 2016, 10:51:07 pm »
Wild camping with an 11yr old...

Is it a good idea in Oct or should I just wait until summer?

Either way, small tent or Bivi/tarp?

It has to be a fun adventure :)

Re: Keeping it fun for the kids...
« Reply #1 on: 13 September, 2016, 09:36:08 am »
Was thinking about this last night.

Despite what this chart says, I suspect spending a night or nights shivering cold would make it not a fun adventure. Presumably you'd like it to be fun enough that the 11yr old wants to do it again at some point?

How about doing a test camp in the garden and involving Junior in the decision-making process about if it was too cold or not? The build up and prep is half the fun, right? (Also, if the decision is it's too cold, they won't feel it's because of grown ups making arbitrary decisions!)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 13 September, 2016, 10:26:37 am »
I wouldn't. It is dark for a very long time in October. Nikki is right - by all means give it a try for garden camping. A few trial runs with ordinary camping, then I reckon you would stand a much better chance with a 12 y.o next July.

I recall, in the days when I was an avid carp angler, deciding to do my first night's fishing in October. It started off very well, but as midnight came and went, the wind got up and the ducks' quacks echoed around the lake in a very eery way, I suddenly wasn't enjoying it any more, I packed my tackle up and cycled home. I was 18 at the time.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3 on: 13 September, 2016, 11:11:30 am »
Thanks - my gut feel is confirmed that this will be no fun :)

Will do a garden camp instead,
Thanks!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 13 September, 2016, 12:01:25 pm »
Depends very much on the kid.
Getting there...

« Reply #5 on: 13 September, 2016, 01:12:23 pm »
Depends on the circumstances and the wildness.  I camped with a 9 and 6 year old in a small tent in April this year.  About zero degrees.  I threw an extra sleeping bag on top of them.  But it was in a back garden with a house nearby as backup.  I'd go for a campsite in early October at least.  But I would be ready to modify my plans if the weather was poor.  I would say you have the principle bang on already - the point is for it to be fun.

But depending on what you mean by wild camping I would be much more reluctant.  If there is a chance of being turfed out during the night then I would consider how the kids would cope with that.  If it's a 'safe' spot you can stay in then I'd only be thinking about the weather.  Very much depends on the child, the spot, the weather, etc.  Our kids have coped with bivvy bags a few times this summer, but I always had a backup available (tent or building), and had to use it once due to insects.

« Reply #6 on: 17 September, 2016, 01:35:59 pm »
My 5 year old daughter and I wild camped half way up Snowdon a couple of weeks ago. She felt like a real mountaineer...

She would never have made the walk all in one go and this made it extra exciting.

« Reply #7 on: 17 September, 2016, 01:37:54 pm »
Oh and it was cold and rained a little. But she is still telling her friends at school all about it.