Author Topic: Chippenham Flapjack 100  (Read 5257 times)

Chippenham Flapjack 100
« on: 03 January, 2017, 02:00:52 pm »
Does anyone know if this event tends to fill up and close early?

I work on a 24/7 rota which can change due to people going sick or taking holidays so prefer to leave entering as long as possible.

Plan is to ECE it 50 km each way from Chepstow using a mandatory route across Hawkesbury Common.

Re: Chippenham Flapjack 100
« Reply #1 on: 03 January, 2017, 04:41:23 pm »
It says on the Chippenham Wheelers website that entries should be in by 1st February (event on the 12th).  Don't know how strict they are about late entries.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #2 on: 03 January, 2017, 05:03:29 pm »
I'm keen to do this too. Thanks for the reminder.

« Reply #3 on: 03 January, 2017, 07:03:13 pm »
Taken the plunge and entered. Just need to sort the ECE now.
Took a while to find the chequebook  loitering unloved in a drawer snuggled up next to a pile of C5 envelopes luckilly.

Entry is now meandering its way gently towards Wiltshire courtesy of the Royal Snail.

Looking forward to this one ,fingers crossed for weather and day off .Can tolerate a bit of rain but ice is a show stopper for me these days.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 03 January, 2017, 09:27:51 pm »
The first time I entered this, it was snowed off! I can't remember if that was 2011 or 2012. Last year was gorgeous weather though.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5 on: 06 January, 2017, 10:27:37 pm »
This will be my 3rd or 4th Flapjack. Lots of food at the controls, including beans on toast at Kemble Village Hall, all included in the entry fee. I've yet to find room for the soup and rolls at the end.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 07 January, 2017, 01:13:16 pm »
This will be Mrs C's first audax, attempting it on our Circe Helios tandem. We are going to be slow, hope there are some beans left for us!

« Reply #7 on: 17 January, 2017, 01:04:27 pm »
looks like entries are now closed. Friend tried to book on this morning -  I sent my entry yesterday when Eric's details were still available on audax site. Being new to all this do I still get in? what do you think?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #8 on: 17 January, 2017, 01:19:24 pm »
Damn! I was meaning to get my entry off yesterday. Shame, it's a great ride.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 17 January, 2017, 03:43:13 pm »
looks like entries are now closed. Friend tried to book on this morning -  I sent my entry yesterday when Eric's details were still available on audax site. Being new to all this do I still get in? what do you think?
It will be entirely down to the organiser's discretion - there are no "rules" to control this.

(If it was me and your postmark was about the right date, I'd try to fit you in. Good luck!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #10 on: 17 January, 2017, 06:55:18 pm »
Entries got to maximum quite early, so the organisers had to close early. 

There are other events around.

« Reply #11 on: 24 January, 2017, 09:18:56 am »
So... I got a place :thumbsup:

I have picked up a route from previous Strava rides that folk have done, can anyone confirm if the ride uses the same route year after year? or do i need to plot my own from the instructions to be safe.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #12 on: 24 January, 2017, 09:22:18 am »
IIRC the ride reverses each year. I think this year should be clockwise. Best check, really.

« Reply #13 on: 24 January, 2017, 11:23:53 am »
Over the last 3 years the course has gone around in the same direction. It's the same direction again this year.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #14 on: 24 January, 2017, 11:25:30 am »
That raises the worrying prospect that it's four years ago I did my first Flapjack.  :o So anticlockwise it is then. I think.

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #15 on: 11 February, 2017, 11:47:15 am »
For anyone who needs it, I think this is the route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/4012245

Slight shortcut compared to the routesheet near the start. You just need to remember to turn left at Monument farm to get to the info control around 7km in.

« Reply #16 on: 11 February, 2017, 12:12:21 pm »
James,

Heads-up that the link you've posted isn't to a public view route!

« Reply #17 on: 11 February, 2017, 12:12:53 pm »
Sadly I missed the cut off date for entry. That'll learn me.

arkle

• Mr Full Value...
« Reply #18 on: 11 February, 2017, 12:49:04 pm »
Sadly I missed the cut off date for entry. That'll learn me.

Entries for this event closed early this year because it was full. I like the Flapjack ride, I've done it several times as one of my early season get-going-again rides and hoped to do so again this year, but it closed before I could enter. Several popular calendar events seem to be closing earlier and earlier each year.

Re: Chippenham Flapjack 100 GPX
« Reply #19 on: 11 February, 2017, 01:05:02 pm »
Found this route. I have checked it against this years routesheet and all seems good. Never the less use at your own risk .

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18443204

I had hoped to EC E this from Chepstow but not fully over a flu lurgy so 100 will be challenging enough for me at the moment.Looking forward to it now.

I  intended finding a quiet side street to park in but just discovered Bath road car park is free on Sundays.

Think I will fit a bigger cassette for the 2470 meters of climbing it has.  ;D

« Reply #20 on: 11 February, 2017, 02:16:34 pm »
Cudzo,

I can't recall how many years ago it was but I do remember meeting you for the first time on this ride. The perils of wearing a YACF top...  ;D
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21 on: 11 February, 2017, 06:06:26 pm »
It was 2014. I had to work that out though, I would have guessed longer ago. But I haven't forgotten as much as you – it was my YACF water bottle you spotted, not a YACF jersey!

It's turned out just as well I missed the entry date this year, as Mrs Cudzo's volunteering at a dance festival (!) tomorrow.  :-\

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #22 on: 11 February, 2017, 06:52:48 pm »
James,

Heads-up that the link you've posted isn't to a public view route!
Oh sorry. Thanks banjo for posting a proper one!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #23 on: 12 February, 2017, 05:43:52 pm »
What a great ride .Beautiful countryside  quiet roads /lanes. loads of food at the well organized controls .Everyone I chatted with was good natured and enjoying the day.

A few flurries of snow but no ice anywhere. :thumbsup:

« Reply #24 on: 13 February, 2017, 06:18:26 pm »
What a great ride .Beautiful countryside  quiet roads /lanes. loads of food at the well organized controls .Everyone I chatted with was good natured and enjoying the day.

A few flurries of snow but no ice anywhere. :thumbsup:

Rubbing it in now! I've managed to enter the Mells/Wells/Railway path from Whitchurch one in time. Still umming and arrring about the hilly Dorset one. Not sure I'm fit enough at the mo. Are you partaking?