Author Topic: Goodbye Christmas Yorkshire Pudding 100k  (Read 6769 times)

Re: Goodbye Christmas Yorkshire Pudding 100k
« Reply #25 on: 04 January, 2017, 05:10:54 pm »
The Strava route passes Chateau Bunbury.  This makes it by far the best of the routes on offer  :smug:

Where's that then.  I'd hate to miss such a high-light

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #26 on: 04 January, 2017, 05:16:51 pm »
I'm entered but my mojo is almost non existent. I'm really not sure ICBA with a ride to Selby and Tadcaster, especially if the weather is less than lovely.

What, even if there's a CrinklyHotel on offer so that the ride to the start takes about 4 minutes?  And a nice delivery person wivva van due to deliver shopping on Friday - i.e. before the event, but still far enough away for me to add double cream, blueberries and ALL THE CHEESE to the order?

G'wan g'wan g'wan....

(Although I'm not, natch :D)

« Reply #27 on: 06 January, 2017, 03:18:22 pm »
Forecast looks OK, I'm planning to do this event (entry on the line) - but none of that ECE malarkey for me.  I'll be driving down to York.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #28 on: 06 January, 2017, 03:56:10 pm »
ECE for me if I can get up early enough and there's no overnight ice and there's no thick fog on the M62.

« Reply #29 on: 06 January, 2017, 04:36:14 pm »
ECE for me if I can get up early enough and there's no overnight ice and there's no thick fog on the M62.

Careful you don't get caught ECEing on that M62!

« Reply #30 on: 06 January, 2017, 07:05:44 pm »

Careful you don't get caught ECEing on that M62!

Funny you should say that.  Don Black was once shopped by his GPX recorder doing 60mph on the M62 near Goole on the Pair of Kirtons Perm.  Everything was fine though.  Boothferry Bridge was closed long term for repair, so there was an hourly shuttle service for cyclists and pedestrians to get across the Ouse.  Boothferry Bridge only just opened in time for the Calendar Version of the Pair of Kirtons, otherwise I would have had to do a serious re-routing job.

My own plan for Sunday is to drive to Knottingley (on the M62) then cycle to and from the GCYP 100.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #31 on: 09 January, 2017, 10:28:49 am »
Well it was nice seeing y'all as I rode the other way along the Elvington road.  The VC167 group at the front looked very tidy.

« Reply #32 on: 09 January, 2017, 11:17:11 am »
What a brilliant day that was.  I left Saddleworth in fog, returned to fog, and it apparently remained foggy all day.  As soon as I crossed the Pennines it was mild, dry with little wind; as good as it gets for January.  I've never been in the Appleton Roebuck triangle (that corner south of the A64 and north of the Ouse and Wharf) so that was nice.  I found a quiet cafĂ© at Boston Spa, the Deli Caffe, about 1/4 mile northwest up the High Street, where the only cyclists were non-Audaxing club riders.  I even found a much-needed Subway at Deighton on my way back to my car a Knottingley.  It's battering down with rain now, so it could have been not such an enjoyable day out.  To cap it all, the 200km ECE finished another Round the Year Slog for me.

« Reply #33 on: 09 January, 2017, 01:04:07 pm »
Ah, I wish we'd found that cafe (I think it was mentioned on the routesheet/rider notes, but I hadn't had chance to print them off) - we went to the pub opposite the Costcutter, which was packed, and the staff were entertainingly grumpy. The coffee took ages, though it was nice when it came, and the gorgeous brownies went down well, even though I'd have loved a proper meal at that point after riding down from Darlo through freezing fog. Luckily I'd brought a sandwich with me, and I had chance to munch that at the start while the queue died down. 48 entries on the line according to Les - no wonder it was busy.

The ride went fairly well, including an extra 200 to make a 300. Steve made me do it (he made it up to 400). The finish at the York Tap meant we could grab a welcome pie-anna-pint, and I guided our grupetto through the city to avoid the inner ring road.

The fog was rising again as we went north, and luckily tiermat was available to feed me and Steve and coffee us up the THOFC, which might have been the best bit. Mind you, I can't complain about the tailwaind back from York either. Pretty good day out for January, I reckon!

« Reply #34 on: 09 January, 2017, 04:50:32 pm »
I reckon!

« Reply #35 on: 09 January, 2017, 04:58:24 pm »
Mine and my 12yo's views on the new start and ride:

The organisation at the start felt a bit disorganised, possibly due to a) the large number of OTL entries and b) it being an 'on the road' start point but the route's decent apart from a busy section out of Selby. We had pre-registered but were in a queue with those who had forms until after the start! That left us seeing a trail of riders going and not the best initial experience for him. Having two queues, identified, would have helped a bit but the simplest thing for many would've been to pre-register.

Through the racecourse was interesting and a few riders seemed to find a sensible detour. Then it was through Tadcaster to Boston Spa and a quick stop. Back through the other side of Tadcaster to Selby was a good stint, little traffic and it meant I could ride beside by 12yo rather than behind him.

From Selby it got a little busy in places, with too much traffic on narrow roads. However he decided to put a spurt on with 10 miles to go and kept catching other riders - apparently he'd decided in Selby to do a 10 mile time trial to the end but wasn't going to tell me.

We were 4 hrs 25 for the 100k which includes stops with a 16mph actual ride average. It's the first time on this new route and I'm sure they'll make a few changes for next year.

Apologies to Jethro who was at the finish with me: I was a coughing mess after riding with a bad cold and chasing an over-enthusiastic child.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #36 on: 09 January, 2017, 06:51:38 pm »
I also got caught up in the large crowd of OTL entrants, but soon caught up with Delph Cyclist with whom I rode to Boston Spa. I'm glad to hear that the ECE was successful.

Apart from the minor problem at the start - and I can only imagine how much worse it would have been at the station! - I had a most enjoyable day out, including some roads which I have never ridden on before in spite of living in York for more than 3 decades.
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #37 on: 09 January, 2017, 06:53:27 pm »
DCLane your 12 yr old sounds like an amazing rider! It took me somewhat longer, and I was quite happy with my average speed...

Train delays meant I missed the bulk of the queue at the start. The finish was navigationally challenging due to the minimal route sheet instructions; I'd been following signs for the city centre, and alarmingly a few others seemed to think I knew where I was going and followed me. I had hoped the station would be well-signposted and easy to find, but this proved optimistic. Happily one of the company was able to point us in the right direction and I finished only 15 mins behind my 'schedule' which I was quite happy with.

Perfect weather on the day; mild, dry, still, which probably lead to so many on-the-line starters. A nice flat route to start the year after Christmas laziness.   Alas I had been very lazy and felt it!
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

Not far enough

• But what I do I do because I like to do.
« Reply #38 on: 10 January, 2017, 07:40:53 am »
The fog was rising again as we went north, and luckily tiermat was available to feed me and Steve and coffee us up the THOFC, which might have been the best bit. Mind you, I can't complain about the tailwaind back from York either. Pretty good day out for January, I reckon!
foggy ride there... great weather and great 100km course ..foggy ride back

Had to find out what THoFC meant, it was a like an oasis in a desert and very much appreciated, what a lovely guy Phil is  :thumbsup:

Wanted to get back to watch Sherlock, but was never going to happen!, can't go fast in pea soup fog, got back with 1 brake and 2 gears, I'll fix the bike later with a hammer!
Sky+'d Sherlock anyway, a grand day out!  :P
https://www.strava.com/athletes/stevegee

Is it better for a man to have chosen evil than to have good imposed upon him?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #39 on: 11 January, 2017, 11:45:48 am »
foggy ride there... great weather and great 100km course ..foggy ride back

Had to find out what THoFC meant, it was a like an oasis in a desert and very much appreciated, what a lovely guy Phil is  :thumbsup:

Wanted to get back to watch Sherlock, but was never going to happen!, can't go fast in pea soup fog, got back with 1 brake and 2 gears, I'll fix the bike later with a hammer!
Sky+'d Sherlock anyway, a grand day out!  :P

Good to meet you too, glad you (both) got back safe and sound to your respective homes.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State