Author Topic: food lore  (Read 15433 times)

Re: food lore
« Reply #50 on: 16 January, 2019, 11:11:09 pm »
Cadbury's Smash originally, sold off to Premier Foods now paort of their Bachelors brand.  Cadbury's sold to Kraft and now hived off as part of Mondolez.  Mars was and is still owned by the Mars family.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #51 on: 17 January, 2019, 12:24:03 am »
Sandwich Spread, definitely not missed. 56 Varieties are more then enough.
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #52 on: 17 January, 2019, 12:35:05 am »
I was quite fond of Heinz little blue tins of baby food in my last years at primary school.

I suppose there had to be some compensation for being the oldest of (then1) five children and changing nappies before I left Infants' School.

1) #6 was born when I was 19 and had gone to university.

« Reply #53 on: 17 January, 2019, 12:39:33 am »
Sandwich Spread is still on sale, deal with it

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #54 on: 17 January, 2019, 12:42:52 am »
We should not forget how dreadful the sandwiches of the '60s and '70s were.

Sandwich spread was the acme...

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #55 on: 17 January, 2019, 12:44:31 am »
Acne, more like.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #56 on: 17 January, 2019, 12:46:24 am »
Puke in a jar, as someone already said.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #57 on: 17 January, 2019, 06:50:28 am »
I have fond memories of Appeel dehydrated orange (the colour) drink. I think the raw product came out of one of my current factories and was a long long way from any actual fruit. That and a single chunk of Yorkie (6 chunks in a bar, one for each of us including the dog, as back in the day dogs were allowed chocolate). It fueled all my childhood cycling.

ian

« Reply #58 on: 17 January, 2019, 07:59:35 am »
Kids won't remember this, but remember that orange juice came dehydrated in a packet. It was impossible to reconstitute, no amount of stirring and agitation would produce orange juice, just a glass of pale orange liquid that looked like it had dripped out of someone in the late stages of kidney failure and a peculiar gritty orange sand that might have come from a beach closed for 'reasons of public health.'

Eastern European hotels were still serving it at breakfast into the nineties. They might still be, I'm classier these days. No really, I am.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #59 on: 17 January, 2019, 08:04:19 am »
I don’t remember that, but we very rarely had the exotic treat of frozen orange juice concentrate. It came in a sort of cardboard tube.

« Reply #60 on: 17 January, 2019, 08:39:04 am »
Have we had boil in the bag meals yet? I particularly remember the chicken curry meal. Cant recall who made them tho, maybe Batchelors?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #61 on: 17 January, 2019, 08:57:04 am »
I don't remember dehydrated orange juice crystals and Jaded's frozen orange juice sounds like one of those ice lollies in a long plastic tube, but we did have concentrated orange squash. It was in a bottle of pimpled glass divided into sections and was in some way connected with visits to the doctor or something. Maybe just because it was supposed to be healthy.

« Reply #62 on: 17 January, 2019, 09:13:57 am »
The concentrated orange juice was provided on the NHS. Not sure if you had to pay for it or whether you got issues with so much for children under five but it was all we ever drank as kids.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #63 on: 17 January, 2019, 09:19:25 am »
I had an inkling it might have been something like that. It wasn't just concentrated juice though – definitely had added sugar.

ian

« Reply #64 on: 17 January, 2019, 09:21:37 am »
On the subject of orange, it must have been the post-school milk era, but our school started issuing (or selling) a violently orange fluid in unopenable tetrapaks at break time. Basically sugar and toxic food colouring. What could go wrong?

Usually ended up down your shirt or blouse too, like you'd murdered someone with strange orange blood. To be honest, it wasn't a shade of orange that existed in nature.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #65 on: 17 January, 2019, 09:23:55 am »
I don’t remember that, but we very rarely had the exotic treat of frozen orange juice concentrate. It came in a sort of cardboard tube.

I remember that. It was my dad's weekend breakfast treat. Too good for the kids.

On the subject of orange, it must have been the post-school milk era, but our school started issuing (or selling) a violently orange fluid in unopenable tetrapaks at break time. Basically sugar and toxic food colouring. What could go wrong?

Usually ended up down your shirt or blouse too, like you'd murdered someone with strange orange blood. To be honest, it wasn't a shade of orange that existed in nature.

I remember those as well. No idea if they had a name though.

You know that Kia-Ora crows advert? That was actually created in the stupor of a hallucinogenic nightmare brought on by whatever it was they put in Kia-Ora to make it that colour.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #66 on: 17 January, 2019, 09:25:13 am »
School milk.  :sick: Two varieties: frozen solid or rancid.

ian

« Reply #67 on: 17 January, 2019, 11:53:14 am »
School milk could only be served lukewarm, preferably after sitting in the corner of the classroom for two-thirds of the day. Bonus points for leaving it by the radiator. The cream would curdle into a bokish sludge that you had to jab a straw through to reach the liquid beneath.

The orange stuff came with a straw too, but tetrapaks aren't so easily defeated, so the straw was made out of flimsolium and thus couldn't be jabbed into the container, so you had to pull and tug and strain at the top until Miss, I spilled orange down my front!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #68 on: 17 January, 2019, 12:21:23 pm »
Kids won't remember this, but remember that orange juice came dehydrated in a packet. It was impossible to reconstitute, no amount of stirring and agitation would produce orange juice, just a glass of pale orange liquid that looked like it had dripped out of someone in the late stages of kidney failure and a peculiar gritty orange sand that might have come from a beach closed for 'reasons of public health.'

Eastern European hotels were still serving it at breakfast into the nineties. They might still be, I'm classier these days. No really, I am.

Birds Eye frozen 'Florida' orange juice?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #69 on: 17 January, 2019, 12:23:31 pm »
The concentrated orange juice was provided on the NHS. Not sure if you had to pay for it or whether you got issues with so much for children under five but it was all we ever drank as kids.

Little bottles with 9 little oranges on the label.

Mum says it was good with gin...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #70 on: 17 January, 2019, 12:25:24 pm »

I loved school milk.

My sister Susan HATED it.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #71 on: 17 January, 2019, 01:53:15 pm »
I had an inkling it might have been something like that. It wasn't just concentrated juice though – definitely had added sugar.

I think orange juice of my earlier childhood came in various forms:

'Welfare' orange: little glass bottles of FREE concentrate.

Sunquick concentrate: Danish syrup which came in a ribbed bootle. I don't think this was free.
Vile little tins of bitterness
Birds Eye frozen 'Florida'

This last was palatable, though pricy and fiddly.

Modern kids who quaff Tropicana don't know they're born!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #72 on: 17 January, 2019, 04:51:45 pm »
Sunquick is a name I remember and googling it reveals a bottle very similar to what I remember, though this might be a conflation of more than one memory.

« Reply #73 on: 17 January, 2019, 04:54:45 pm »

I recall Florida frozen concentrate, in cans.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #74 on: 17 January, 2019, 05:39:09 pm »

I loved school milk.

+1  Though I only got to experience it for a term or two, before Bloody Thatcher (or was it Kenneth Baker?) did away with it.