Author Topic: food lore  (Read 15438 times)

ian

Re: food lore
« Reply #25 on: 16 January, 2019, 04:09:44 pm »
When I lived in west London, there used to be a kebab shop on the Askew Road that did fantastic kebabs, proper identifiable (without a DNA test) meat on skewers chargrilled to goodness. No idea if it's still there but it ought to be.

« Reply #26 on: 16 January, 2019, 04:25:43 pm »
The thing my kid sister remembers most about the freshers' induction at Oxford is how they tried to drum in to everyone multiple times not to eat from the kebab vans. I don't know whether this was patrician disdain for street food, or whether there actually had been a spate of student food poisonings attributed to them...

ian

« Reply #27 on: 16 January, 2019, 04:38:35 pm »
Given that the average high street donner kebab exists primarily to flout every established convention of food hygiene, it's hard to believe that serving them from a kebab van could be worse.

ian

« Reply #28 on: 16 January, 2019, 06:20:49 pm »
Were we the only kids to snort space dust like it was some kind of kiddy crack? It has similar effects and would fill your head with the most awesome crackling like your brain was on fire. It sent David Derbyshire so mad that he ran at full pelt into a brick wall and knocked out all his teeth. After which it was banned. Grange Hill had heroin, we had space dust.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #29 on: 16 January, 2019, 07:02:54 pm »
I had an inordinate fondness for Heinz tinned spag bol as a young’un. Haven’t had it for years and suspect I would find it revolting now. Do they still make it?

Also Heinz tinned ravioli, with a ‘meat’ filling that had the consistency of toothpaste.

However, even as a kid I found the viscous orange goo that coated the spaghetti hoops too sweet.

All made to the authentic recipes handed down to Giuseppe Heinz by his dear old mamma back in Tuscany, of course.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #30 on: 16 January, 2019, 07:25:30 pm »
Full English inna tin, anyone?

Still available from Iceland, apparently.

ETA - I've just Googled 'Heinz tinned salad'.
It has returned results for 'Heinz Vegetable Salad'.
Errr.... remind me of what other sort of salad there is.....

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #31 on: 16 January, 2019, 07:26:39 pm »
Given most kebabs end up involved in calls using the Large White Telephone, many food poisonings are probably avoided.
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #32 on: 16 January, 2019, 07:33:50 pm »
Alphabetti spaghetti. The only food that can make your dog talk.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #33 on: 16 January, 2019, 07:35:24 pm »
Given most kebabs end up involved in calls using the Large White Telephone, many food poisonings are probably avoided.

I have eaten many a kebab. Doner, chicken, seekh & shami. Never visited the great white telephone as a result. I'm either extremely lucky or must have an iron constitution, cos I've had thousands...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #34 on: 16 January, 2019, 07:37:42 pm »

I have eaten many a kebab. Doner, chicken, seekh & shami. Never visited the great white telephone as a result. I'm either extremely lucky or must have an iron constitution, cos I've had thousands...

Yebutt - You and Fuzzy go back a long time. No?
(See also the food rant thread)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #35 on: 16 January, 2019, 07:39:02 pm »

Also the medium through which Trump issues decrees, allegedly.
VELOMANCER

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #36 on: 16 January, 2019, 07:40:50 pm »

Yebutt - You and Fuzzy go back a long time. No?

Yeah, I'm pretty old  ;D but I didn't actually meet Fuzzy in person until about 12 months ago...
VELOMANCER

« Reply #37 on: 16 January, 2019, 07:42:53 pm »

Also the medium through which Trump issues decrees, allegedly.

Actually it's more that you or I could eat a tin of alphabetti and then poop out a better argument than the Hamberdler.  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

ian

« Reply #38 on: 16 January, 2019, 07:46:13 pm »
You just made it clear to me that my claim never to have had pasta before I was 18 to be a big fat, tomato sauce smothered lie. I'd forgotten about Heinz spaghetti bolognese in a tin and yes, the ravioli with the peculiarly mushy filling like you were eating some small soggy animal's brains. Yet curiously more delicious than any small animal's brains.

My parents wouldn't eat it any of that pasta stuff, for obvious reasons. Their culinary circumspection, chary of anything but the most insipid of British food, more mummified than cooked, endless sad plates of overheated and burnt despair, used to drive me up the wall. My mother was sent home from Morrisons (where she worked) because someone dropped a jar of korma sauce and the smell made her sick (and thereafter she refused to work on the 'ethnic food' aisle). My father is still going on about the time he ate a piece a rocket – ten fucking years ago. My sister and niece aren't a lot better, they'll physically recoil if presented with an olive. It's not just that they scared to try something new (and they probably are), it's that they lack the curiosity. They're just not interested in anything that's not primarily potato or overcooked meat product. My mother doesn't even eat, she's survived the last forty plus years on a diet of drizzle and cigarettes. I did go a bit mental at our wedding where the inlaws had hired an actual Parisian bistro (I know this because it was in Paris) for a meal (at no small expense) and all my parents did was shuffle the food (excellent) around their plate and refuse to eat. Honestly, french fries are still fucking chips. The bloody irony, as a kid I had to eat everything or I got served it again later, even the unchewable liver that our mental poo-eating staffie wouldn't eat. Sorry, an escaped rant.

And breathe.

But yes, alphabet spaghetti. You ever think they somehow ration out the letters to limit the number of rude words you can spell out on your plate?

« Reply #39 on: 16 January, 2019, 08:15:38 pm »
If you hold a tin of alphabetti spaghetti to your ear you can sometimes hear the ‘C’.

Smash.

« Reply #40 on: 16 January, 2019, 08:22:46 pm »
If you hold a tin of alphabetti spaghetti to your ear you can sometimes hear the ‘C’.

Smash.
Very good.
I thought that only worked with pasta shells.

I think I have your coat over here.
(and mine, appears to be just next to it)
Our taxi appears to have been summoned.

« Reply #41 on: 16 January, 2019, 08:32:03 pm »
You just made it clear to me that my claim never to have had pasta before I was 18 to be a big fat, tomato sauce smothered lie. I'd forgotten about Heinz spaghetti bolognese in a tin and yes, the ravioli with the peculiarly mushy filling like you were eating some small soggy animal's brains. Yet curiously more delicious than any small animal's brains.

My parents wouldn't eat it any of that pasta stuff, for obvious reasons. Their culinary circumspection, chary of anything but the most insipid of British food, more mummified than cooked, endless sad plates of overheated and burnt despair, used to drive me up the wall. My mother was sent home from Morrisons (where she worked) because someone dropped a jar of korma sauce and the smell made her sick (and thereafter she refused to work on the 'ethnic food' aisle). My father is still going on about the time he ate a piece a rocket – ten fucking years ago. My sister and niece aren't a lot better, they'll physically recoil if presented with an olive. It's not just that they scared to try something new (and they probably are), it's that they lack the curiosity. They're just not interested in anything that's not primarily potato or overcooked meat product. My mother doesn't even eat, she's survived the last forty plus years on a diet of drizzle and cigarettes. I did go a bit mental at our wedding where the inlaws had hired an actual Parisian bistro (I know this because it was in Paris) for a meal (at no small expense) and all my parents did was shuffle the food (excellent) around their plate and refuse to eat. Honestly, french fries are still fucking chips. The bloody irony, as a kid I had to eat everything or I got served it again later, even the unchewable liver that our mental poo-eating staffie wouldn't eat. Sorry, an escaped rant.

And breathe.

But yes, alphabet spaghetti. You ever think they somehow ration out the letters to limit the number of rude words you can spell out on your plate?

My bold.
I've had to work with an invective filter on a scrolling display board on a number of occasions.
FWIW The filter isn't insurmountable....

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #42 on: 16 January, 2019, 08:32:59 pm »
Swindon has a Jason Donervan in the Dorcan industrial estate.  Maybe there's also a Doner Summer somewhere.  There is also Magic Kebabs...on the Magic Roundabout.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #43 on: 16 January, 2019, 09:06:34 pm »
Ah, this thread has prompted memories of sandwich spread and crisp sandwiches. And the soggy pastry of tinned steak pies is food nirvana.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #44 on: 16 January, 2019, 09:21:09 pm »
Have we had Cadbury's Smash yet?  With a packet of Smash, a Fray Bentos pie and a tin of garden peas, I had some decent fridge-free meals as a student.

Also...Heinz Invaders which, years after the initial video game craze* had worn off, were own-branded as the crappily-named Sainsbury's Space Shapes.

*someone needs to make GTA shapes of a hood blowing out some crackwhore's brains and a boosted Shelby Cobra.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #45 on: 16 January, 2019, 09:25:58 pm »
We had freeze dried peas that mum got from the cash and carry (Bookers in Tunbridge Wells) using her Meals in Wheels discount card.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #46 on: 16 January, 2019, 09:30:42 pm »
Ah, this thread has prompted memories of sandwich spread and crisp sandwiches. And the soggy pastry of tinned steak pies is food nirvana.

Heinz Sandwich Spread: salad cream with small vegetable pieces. I loved it but Mum hated it...

ian

« Reply #47 on: 16 January, 2019, 09:36:29 pm »
AKA 'sick on toast.'

Apropos instant mash, at the end of every Warner Brothers-produced TV show, I will loudly sing FOR MASH GET SMASH because I swear it's the same music, though my wife remains unconvinced.

Given the amount of instant mash I ate as a child, I'm still actually 3.4% dehydrated potato. If I fell in a big gravy boat I'd soak it all up.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #48 on: 16 January, 2019, 09:55:26 pm »
Have we had Cadbury's Smash yet?  With a packet of Smash, a Fray Bentos pie and a tin of garden peas, I had some decent fridge-free meals as a student.
Are you talking about the Smash that was advertised with aliens saying "For mash get Smash"? You mean that instant mashed potato was made by the Dairy Milk people? ??!??!!?! How come it wasn't available in a Bournville version as well?!!?!!?!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #49 on: 16 January, 2019, 09:58:22 pm »
I think, and I may be wrong (which I am pretty much all the time, no need to remind me), it was originally made by Mars. Hence the entire Martian thing. And Mars is now Cadbury.