Author Topic: More tandem p0rn  (Read 2409 times)

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
More tandem p0rn
« on: 12 January, 2010, 05:53:27 pm »
Another email circulating at work about that Specialized monster led to this blog, which also has mention of the Calfee Dragonfly Tandem. And here's photos from Interbike, showing it running the Gates Carbon belt drive.

Ooohhhhhhhhh.

Slightly more down to earth, $350 for a stoker stem? Shame Christmas already passed, I know someone who that would have made a nice present for  ;)

rdaviesb

Re: More tandem p0rn
« Reply #1 on: 13 January, 2010, 12:29:52 am »
I do like the bamboo Calfee......  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 13 January, 2010, 10:04:13 am »
I tried to resist

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ch_NuUgvb7s&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/ch_NuUgvb7s&rel=1</a>
Getting there...

« Reply #3 on: 13 January, 2010, 12:14:01 pm »
It would be nicer if they lopped 5" off the wheelbase/stoker top tube - or at least made the length proportional to frame-size.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #4 on: 13 January, 2010, 12:45:21 pm »
The long stoker end means s/he can adopt the normal solo riding position, or close to - and so make a contribution supply more power.  Downside is quite a lot of the aerodynamic advantage of a tandem is lost.
That's how it is with our Cannondale anyway (which is 9" longer than the Galaxy we had previously).
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #5 on: 13 January, 2010, 12:48:42 pm »
I still think 72cm is excessive. Taking 5" off leaves about 60cm which is still more than long enough for a reasonable level of stoker comfort.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #6 on: 13 January, 2010, 12:55:23 pm »
I wish I'd taken a photo of the tandem Pedersen I saw in action in the Cheshire lanes a few years ago.
It looked a bit like a slightly squiffy Bactrian camel.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #7 on: 13 January, 2010, 03:04:45 pm »
I wish I'd taken a photo of the tandem Pedersen I saw in action in the Cheshire lanes a few years ago.
It looked a bit like a slightly squiffy Bactrian camel.

Did it require cyclists of equal weight to tension it properly? I imagine the pilot sinking 6" when the stoker got off.

« Reply #8 on: 13 January, 2010, 04:21:14 pm »
I still think 72cm is excessive.

Exactly the reason (well one of them) why we are on the verge of signing on the dotted line for a Roberts frame rather than going for a Santana.  I reckon even when compared against a base model Santana, a Roberts will work out cheaper as well!