Author Topic: Guy Martin makes a Mountain Bike  (Read 37081 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Guy Martin makes a Mountain Bike
« Reply #100 on: 27 October, 2014, 11:46:11 am »
I enjoyed the programme very much, but I'm a bit confused as at what record they actually broke? Surely HPV and upright bike records are separate categories, no?

I was contacted by BHPC chairman Alan Goodman (who has an uncredited role in the programme as "Observer in red waterproof"), IIRC during my time in the Gulag, about 24-hour records in general and multi-rider HPV records in particular.  I couldn't find any reference to the latter but was able to point him at CTT and UMCA.  The latter organisation is the one that sanctioned the Fedrigon/Gremley record they were initially aiming for.

UMCA will happily accept records for any class of machine, though I believe you have to be a member to set one.  There was a move afoot a few years ago to unify UMCA/CTT/$HPV road records, but I don't think anything ever came of it.

Careful study of teh R00lz leads me, and others, to believe that a UMCA member could ride the Mersey Roads 24 on/in anything human-powered...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #101 on: 27 October, 2014, 01:16:43 pm »
I thought it was really good TV.  Let's be honest, it's not merely a program about setting a record.  It's a program about Guy Martin trying to set a record.

He's a likeable character, he's enthusiastic, seems to have no fear (other than of being stood in his undies next to another bloke) and makes for good TV.

It's "Science-ertainment". Fred Dibnah was far from the most efficient Chimney knocker-downer (the correct term for it) or the most qualified Historian but that's not the point. 

Look , he has a working Merlin Engine in his living room ferchristssake!  He can do no wrong.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #102 on: 30 October, 2014, 05:52:00 pm »
(finally watched this ... )
Yup,  great entertainment, with some interesting engineering/cycling factoids sprinkled in there. :thumbsup:

A very minor query-cum-niggle ...  The 100metre speed trial they did; IIRC they were around 10secs on uprights, so around 23mph. I can average 23mph over 10 miles! I'm often last in club 10s, with many riders averaging 26-27mph.

Was this a realistic "demonstration"? Are my figures wrong? Are they actually both plodders, and/or with hardly any cycle-specific training behind them?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #103 on: 30 October, 2014, 05:53:37 pm »
Guy beat Laura Trott in a sprint last series - and managed 112mph on a bike in that same episode. I wouldn't call him a plodder!

« Reply #104 on: 30 October, 2014, 10:51:10 pm »
Yup,  great entertainment, with some interesting engineering/cycling factoids sprinkled in there. :thumbsup:

A very minor query-cum-niggle ...  The 100metre speed trial they did; IIRC they were around 10secs on uprights, so around 23mph. I can average 23mph over 10 miles! I'm often last in club 10s, with many riders averaging 26-27mph.

Was this a realistic "demonstration"? Are my figures wrong? Are they actually both plodders, and/or with hardly any cycle-specific training behind them?

From a standing start.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #105 on: 31 October, 2014, 08:12:34 am »

From a standing start.

If you watch the program, the 100m is NOT from a standing start, it's a flying start.

Bear in mind, too, that they are both MTBers, so used to spinning very low gears for hours at a time, so yes, plodders, if you want to put it like that.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #106 on: 31 October, 2014, 10:26:01 am »
The recumbents were Ratracers which eschew such fripperies as multiple chainrings.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #107 on: 02 November, 2014, 08:41:19 pm »
Ben Nevis in England  ??? :facepalm:

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #108 on: 02 November, 2014, 09:37:55 pm »
Is there a machine that has such emotional impact as a Spitfire on us Brits?

Colossus?

If you haven't met the rebuild in the, erm, metal, then I highly recommend it.  Feeling the heat and listening to the clatter of the relays is every bit as good as the drone of a Merlin.

I'd love to see the mercury memory stores from the earlier models too..
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

David Martin

« Reply #109 on: 02 November, 2014, 09:48:53 pm »
Tandem's just a bike for two people though, innit. Innit?

From the lat. "at length"

You know that, I know that, but hoi polloi like, don't. Innit.

For those poor benighted souls who have not benefited from a classical education and are likely to make up the bulk of the audience, a tandem *is* just a bike for two people, and they're not likely to be fussed about whether the riders are side by side, in line astern or indeed facing in opposite directions.

Do you reckon most folk are more likely to get a sense of what he's trying to do if they hear 'tandem,' or if they hear 'sociable recumbent tadpole tricycle'?

Cos a tandem is as m'learned friend alludes to, a numebr of riders greater than 1 arranged in a serial manner. So you can have a tandem triplet.

cf. Road tax, hoovering with a dyson and so on..

David Martin

« Reply #110 on: 02 November, 2014, 10:41:01 pm »

I went to RAF Montrose a few months ago. I was stunned by just how big a Merlin engine is. A spitfire isn't so much a plane as a bloody great engine with wings attached and a Pilot desperately hanging on for the ride.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #111 on: 03 November, 2014, 09:46:38 am »

I went to RAF Montrose a few months ago. I was stunned by just how big a Merlin engine is. A spitfire isn't so much a plane as a bloody great engine with wings attached and a Pilot desperately hanging on for the ride.

Anyone who has flown a Spitfire* would probably disagree, they would describe it as being barely in control of a thoroughbred but I get the gist of what you're saying.

*Sadly I am not one of them!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #112 on: 03 November, 2014, 09:56:25 am »

Yes...so you'd be crazy to put one in a car.

Here's Jay Leno's (a man who really enjoys the trappings of wealth)

"There's no replacement for displacement"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-I3Cl1RICg

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #113 on: 03 November, 2014, 12:41:35 pm »

Your figures are right enough, but they weren't using time trialing positions and I bet there was a headwind.  I reckon even I could have beaten them with no headwind, and I'm only barely fit these days.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #114 on: 16 November, 2014, 10:47:09 pm »
I thought tonight's episode was fantastic. Great telly. But I was left wondering what happened next between him and the French girl...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #115 on: 16 November, 2014, 10:54:41 pm »
I thought tonight's episode was fantastic. Great telly. But I was left wondering what happened next between him and the French girl...

You and me both :)  I'm also wondering why they didn't appear to fair the "suspension arms" or use wheel covers ???

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #116 on: 16 November, 2014, 11:15:03 pm »
And did you clock the head boffin's T shaped shirt slogan?

"x=n+1"
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #117 on: 17 November, 2014, 07:43:15 am »
I liked the comment at the end from the girl form the design team who burst into tears when he crashed "he's a bit of a nutter isnt he". Well yes he is.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #118 on: 17 November, 2014, 07:44:00 am »

I though he was engaged to his manager Steph.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

citoyen

« Reply #119 on: 17 November, 2014, 08:41:11 am »

"x=n+1"

Yes! Only a brief glimpse so had to stop the tape and rewind to make sure I'd read it properly.

citoyen

« Reply #120 on: 17 November, 2014, 08:43:09 am »

Possibly not for much longer if she sees the way he was carrying on last night.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #121 on: 17 November, 2014, 08:49:03 am »

Possibly not for much longer if she sees the way he was carrying on last night.

...and on the Pike's Peak one.

Interestingly his Wikipedia page USED to say " He recently built his own house with his fiancee."

That line was removed on 28th June this year, make of that what you will.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #122 on: 17 November, 2014, 11:49:23 am »

"x=n+1"

Was it just me or is there a remarkable resemblance 'twixt said boffin and Von Broad otp?

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #123 on: 17 November, 2014, 05:45:01 pm »
He absolutely loved being in that crash (apart from ruining his helmet's custom paint job).

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #124 on: 17 November, 2014, 07:45:22 pm »
He absolutely loved being in that crash (apart from ruining his helmet's custom paint job).

FTFY. That lid is scrap . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.