Author Topic: Guy Martin makes a Mountain Bike  (Read 36784 times)

Re: Guy Martin makes a Mountain Bike
« Reply #50 on: 19 January, 2014, 10:10:03 pm »
Brilliant! It was excellent tonight.

Hope there's another series planned.

Yeah, it was another good 'un! I loved it when he pissed off the stuffy bloke at the Cresta run by completely ignoring his instructions to brake and slow down  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #51 on: 19 January, 2014, 10:19:38 pm »
Tonight's episode is great so far, hope he does it.

It's nice to see someone on the telly with chipped and oily fingernails :thumbsup:

And massive sideboards!   ;D

Don't knock 'em, mine are catching his up :D

He's also got lots of bikes too by the look of it. Either that or he's borrowed them for the series!

He's always been in to his bikes mainly MTB's you'll see him mucking about on one in between races :)

« Reply #52 on: 19 January, 2014, 10:32:28 pm »
Brilliant! It was excellent tonight.

Hope there's another series planned.

Yeah, it was another good 'un! I loved it when he pissed off the stuffy bloke at the Cresta run by completely ignoring his instructions to brake and slow down  :P

Just so he could buy the tie ;D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #53 on: 19 January, 2014, 11:17:15 pm »
You really, really don't want to live near a tannery using ancient methods, or get your  water supply from downstream of one.

The reading today in church today was Peter's vision at the home of Simon the Tanner. I pointed out to TODM that Cornelius' men wouldn't have needed to ask directions. They could just follow their nose.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #54 on: 20 January, 2014, 12:50:02 pm »
43 minutes! It's the revelation at around 33 minutes that got me. Dog poo. Rubbed in to cow hide to help in the manufacture of leather making belts for machinery.
Not just the leather belts for machinery. It used to be very widely used in tanning. Collected by 'pure finders' (yes, they called it 'pure'), who sold it to tanners. You could make a living that way. A shit living in more ways than one, but a living.

Pigeon & chicken shit have also been used, & urine was used for an earlier stage in the process.

You really, really don't want to live near a tannery using ancient methods, or get your  water supply from downstream of one.

PS. Urine was also used for washing cloth.

On the last bit, it is also used to fix dyes.

Go for an "off the beaten track" guided tour round Marrakesh and you'll see the dye pits full of piss.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

fuzzy

« Reply #55 on: 23 January, 2014, 11:52:31 am »

The reading today in church today was Peter's vision at the home of Simon the Tanner. I pointed out to TODM that Cornelius' men wouldn't have needed to ask directions. They could just follow their nose.

Might account for Peters vision?

« Reply #56 on: 23 January, 2014, 01:09:31 pm »
He's always been in to his bikes mainly MTB's you'll see him mucking about on one in between races :)

Orange MTB's to be specific ( I think they sponsor him).  I've always bought Orange MTB's myself, so another reason to like Mr Martin  :thumbsup:
The sound of one pannier flapping

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #57 on: 24 January, 2014, 09:06:24 am »
I had only ever sort of heard of Guy before this series. Now I have watched everything I can find on Youtube  :)

Top bloke. Enthusiastic people always seem even more enthusiastic with a strong regional accent for some reason!

I hope you've seen the onboard with commentary of  him doing the fastest ever lap of the IoM tt course. Utter madness, utterly compelling.

« Reply #58 on: 24 January, 2014, 09:21:46 am »
I had only ever sort of heard of Guy before this series. Now I have watched everything I can find on Youtube  :)

Top bloke. Enthusiastic people always seem even more enthusiastic with a strong regional accent for some reason!

I hope you've seen the onboard with commentary of  him doing the fastest ever lap of the IoM tt course. Utter madness, utterly compelling.

I have indeed  :)

« Reply #59 on: 01 February, 2014, 08:03:16 pm »
I've just been watching Guy doing the sledge run and was googling away and came up with this link http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/feature-riding-with-tt-ace-guy-martin/

and this from 2010 I believe his fancy light weight rear wheel collapsed

« Reply #60 on: 05 April, 2014, 09:24:40 am »

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #61 on: 05 June, 2014, 10:34:15 pm »
I'm watching Guy in the 2011 docco TT: Closer To The Edge (now on ITV4). 10 mins in there is an almost Fast-Show-vian moment with him and a model truck. Hilarious.

Great character :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #62 on: 12 October, 2014, 10:55:17 am »

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #63 on: 12 October, 2014, 10:58:56 am »
New show coming later this year!

Guy Martin celebrates the people behind the Spitfire

19:30 tonight!

There is also to be a new series of "Speed With...", apparently starting later this month.  May contain "bicycles" or traces of "bicycles".
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #64 on: 12 October, 2014, 01:20:08 pm »
New show coming later this year!

Guy Martin celebrates the people behind the Spitfire

19:30 tonight!

There is also to be a new series of "Speed With...", apparently starting later this month.  May contain "bicycles" or traces of "bicycles".

Also may contain help from a nice chap near Ely  ;D

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #65 on: 12 October, 2014, 01:32:31 pm »
Not to mwntion a chap near High Wycombe and another chap in Norwich but I can't say any more coz it's a SEEKRIT :-\

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #66 on: 12 October, 2014, 01:51:06 pm »
I ate my standard cycling-day breakfast of tagliatelle and bacon then realized that I was fed up to the back teeth with the idea that "Hey, it's a sunny Sunday, have to get out".  So I uttered a resounding "fuck it" and proceeded to do SFA. Doing it pretty well so far.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Re: Guy Martin makes a Mountain Bike ..err Spitfire
« Reply #67 on: 13 October, 2014, 09:02:50 am »
Is there a machine that has such emotional impact as a Spitfire on us Brits?

What a job those fellas have..building new Spitfires.  Precision work as well, especially when the wing's location pins won't fit if you hold them in warm hands for too long.
I'm not convinced they bothered quite so much about fit & finish in 1940 but it's easier to concentrate without the pesky Luftwaffe overhead.

I think Guy was the perfect presenter once again and just how lucky was he to fly in a Spitfire vs Messerschmitt 109 dogfight? 
Talk about one to cross off your Bucket-List.  I think I'm more envious of that than anything I can think of*

I'm off to buy a Euromillions lottery ticket because now I have something to spend the winnings on.

* Guy revealed he has a Merlin engine in his living room (I think I may have a man-crush).  He strikes me as the sort of person who may just fire it up as well. Certainly a more dramatic way of heating the room than my log fire.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #68 on: 13 October, 2014, 02:40:38 pm »

Colossus?

If you haven't met the rebuild in the, erm, metal, then I highly recommend it.  Feeling the heat and listening to the clatter of the relays is every bit as good as the drone of a Merlin.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #69 on: 13 October, 2014, 02:47:31 pm »

Colossus?

If you haven't met the rebuild in the, erm, metal, then I highly recommend it.  Feeling the heat and listening to the clatter of the relays is every bit as good as the drone of a Merlin.

I used to be a Strowger Exchange maintenance engineer for B.T....I've heard all the clattering relays, and buzzing of pawls on ratchets, I want to hear for one lifetime.

« Reply #70 on: 13 October, 2014, 02:52:31 pm »
* Guy revealed he has a Merlin engine in his living room (I think I may have a man-crush).  He strikes me as the sort of person who may just fire it up as well. Certainly a more dramatic way of heating the room than my log fire.

Have you not seen this then?

Guy Martin's passion for life

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #71 on: 13 October, 2014, 02:54:25 pm »

Colossus?

I used to be a Strowger Exchange maintenance engineer for B.T....I've heard all the clattering relays, and buzzing of pawls on ratchets, I want to hear for one lifetime.

Same instruments, different tune.  While it certainly looks like one in places, Colossus doesn't sound like a telephone exchange; you can hear it thinking...

25000 character comparisons per second, what's not to like?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #72 on: 13 October, 2014, 03:16:09 pm »
Meh, I'll stick with the beauty and malevolence of a Spitfire.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #73 on: 13 October, 2014, 03:27:10 pm »

Have you not seen this then?

Guy Martin's passion for life

Cheers for that link.  I don't know how I conspired to miss this.

What's not to like about Guy and his philosophy?
"If you want something, do the graft, earn the money and go and get it.  I wanted a Merlin engine so I did the graft, earned the money and got one".

He truly is an authentic replacement for my beloved Fred Dibnah.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #74 on: 13 October, 2014, 11:24:22 pm »
So when does the backlash start about him being Beastly to the Germans :demon: