Author Topic: Qualification rules  (Read 6592 times)

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
Qualification rules
« on: 24 April, 2019, 06:45:58 pm »
Can one substitute shorter rides for longer?

phil dubya

• It's a fast bike, but the engine's knackered.
Re: Qualification rules
« Reply #1 on: 24 April, 2019, 08:23:13 pm »
Do you mean longer rides for shorter?  The answer to that question is yes.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #2 on: 24 April, 2019, 09:35:09 pm »
Indeed.  Infamously, one AUK has qualified - in 2003, I think - with 4 back to back 600s.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 24 April, 2019, 10:11:21 pm »

But you don't get the ACP SR medal unless you have the full set.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #4 on: 25 April, 2019, 10:40:18 am »

J

Somewhere on here a few months ago, I noticed a post that seemed to imply that not only do you need the full set, but you need them in the right order. Seems overly rigid to me. Anyone know if it's true?
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

« Reply #5 on: 25 April, 2019, 01:51:45 pm »
Somewhere on here a few months ago, I noticed a post that seemed to imply that not only do you need the full set, but you need them in the right order. Seems overly rigid to me. Anyone know if it's true?

No, any order is fine within the same Audax year.

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #6 on: 25 April, 2019, 06:23:49 pm »

Thanks
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 25 April, 2019, 06:29:37 pm »

For Hysterical Raisins, the ACP year and the AUK year are not the same, and neither is the same as the calendar year.

Worth remembering.

J
--

Phil W

« Reply #8 on: 25 April, 2019, 06:41:40 pm »
Might tick the box for the BRM SR medal when I register this time. Outside of PBP years it is rare that all my rides comprising the SR are BRM.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #9 on: 26 April, 2019, 08:15:37 am »

When I got my ACP SR medal it was 400 600 300 200 and the 200 was in a different auk year but same acp year.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #10 on: 26 April, 2019, 08:18:42 am »
Might tick the box for the BRM SR medal when I register this time. Outside of PBP years it is rare that all my rides comprising the SR are BRM.
Is it correct that the design only changes after pbp so 201i is the same as 2017 but 2020 will be different?

Eddington  127miles, 170km

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 26 April, 2019, 11:41:36 am »
Is it correct that the design only changes after pbp so 201i is the same as 2017 but 2020 will be different?

That is the case, yes.

J
--

Phil W

« Reply #12 on: 26 April, 2019, 11:55:01 am »

I haven't been collecting them, so don't really know.  A refresh every four years would make sense.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #13 on: 26 April, 2019, 12:14:42 pm »

J

I'm pretty sure that QG herself posted that it was a requirement somewhere in her locale - probably Netherlands, possibly Belgium?

I'd never heard of it before then, nor since.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #14 on: 26 April, 2019, 12:24:13 pm »

J

I'm pretty sure that QG herself posted that it was a requirement somewhere in her locale - probably Netherlands, possibly Belgium?

I'd never heard of it before then, nor since.
This is where this came from: it's an 'NL' thing.
https://www.randonneurs.nl/paris-brest-paris/
"Brevetten moeten in opvolgende volgorde worden volbracht. Een korte afstand mag door een langere afstand worden vervangen. Dat houdt in dat het eerste brevet minimaal 200 km moet zijn, het tweede minimaal 300, het derde minmaal 400 en het vierde minimaal 600. Rijdt je meer brevetten dan kun je er vier in (tijds)volgorde kiezen."
which in G-translate suggests (with edits):
"Brevets must be completed in the following order. A short distance may be replaced by a longer one. This means that the first ride must be at least 200 km, the second at least 300, the third at least 400 and the fourth at least 600. If you ride more brevets, you can choose four [but] in (chronological) order."
I'll take a bet that ACP will not care a jot when the NL-based rider comes to register: they'll just be looking for the set (200 300 400 600) and there'll be no avenue for RandonneursNL 'gotabeinorder' moderation.

« Reply #15 on: 26 April, 2019, 12:43:44 pm »
The ACP rules call it a "series", which you could pedantically read as them wanting it to be done in order, although you'd expect it to be explicit.

Phil W

« Reply #16 on: 26 April, 2019, 01:03:17 pm »
Ah but what order?  A series certainly does not have to be in ascending sequence from any mathematical point of view.   Pedant hat off. ACP won't care.

« Reply #17 on: 27 April, 2019, 09:33:37 am »
The Dutch BRM calendar only offers a sequential series from 200 to 600.
I think there is one 400 between various 600's .. so if you do your qualifying there you have no choice. There are no 200/300 now til July in NL.
Regards,

Alan

« Reply #18 on: 14 May, 2019, 11:29:34 pm »
Stupid question: If substituting a 400KM with a 600KM BRM, do you have to ride the full distance of 600KM for it to count, or can you just ride 400KM+ of the 600 for it to count as a 400KM?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #19 on: 14 May, 2019, 11:36:11 pm »
If you start a brevet, you have to finish the whole thing for the brevet to count towards anything.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #20 on: 14 May, 2019, 11:54:00 pm »
Thanks, that's clear

« Reply #21 on: 17 May, 2019, 09:00:33 am »
Is it possible to complete the registration process if some of your results remain "provisional" i.e. don't have an ACP number?  Or am I misremembering that the qualification process has to be completed by ~20 June?
How much can a koala bear?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #22 on: 17 May, 2019, 09:11:39 am »
http://www.aukweb.net/events/pbp/

Registration
Registration is not the same as pre-registration
Registration will open on 1 June 2019.
If you pre-registered you need start the registration process before 18 June 2019 or the benefit of your pre-registration will be lost.
You can start the registration process before having completed the qualifying rides but you will need to provide any missing homologation numbers before Registration closes on 3 July 2019.

« Reply #23 on: 17 May, 2019, 09:17:55 am »

Registration
If you pre-registered you need start the registration process before 18 June 2019 or the benefit of your pre-registration will be lost.
You can start the registration process before having completed the qualifying rides but you will need to provide any missing homologation numbers before Registration closes on 3 July 2019.
Many thanks that's clear.  It does suggest that whoever is responsible for such things will have to be a bit quicker turning "provisional" results into finals than is sometimes the case, given that the last PBP qualifiers are on 22 June. Or am I misunderstanding?
How much can a koala bear?

rob

« Reply #24 on: 17 May, 2019, 09:24:55 am »

Registration
Many thanks that's clear.  It does suggest that whoever is responsible for such things will have to be a bit quicker turning "provisional" results into finals than is sometimes the case, given that the last PBP qualifiers are on 22 June. Or am I misunderstanding?

In previous years 600s have been validated very quickly due to the tight timescales - ACP are well aware of the brevity.   I think the last time my 600 results were posted in a couple of days.