General Category > Freewheeling

Hells Bells

(1/10) > >>

ravenbait:
I put a Knog Oi on Hamish a while back. I ride mostly rural roads and don't have much use for a bell most of the time, but there has been an influx of new people to our village, and most of them have dogs, and I thought it would be helpful for the short stretch of time when I'm passing through into more out of the way places. A friendly "Hello! Coming up behind!" doesn't always turn out as I'd hoped.

It's a nice bell. It's discreet. It tucks out of the way. It doesn't jangle. I like the tone. But it's also not very loud. So when I had yet one more encounter with Angry Old Lady from the nearby farm, who doesn't like even the friendliest "Excuse me!" (I suspect she might be suffering from hearing loss), I thought I'd put a different one on Shackleton, my work horse who gets used around people way more.

I was feeling pretty down in the dumps and needed cheering up, so I treated myself to a Spur Cycle bell. This is a ridiculous amount of money to spend on something that goes ping, even if it is the loudest, most sustained, crystal clear, musical ping, which Mike Oldfield could have put to use had there been one available. Even better than I'd expected.

What item of ridiculous bling (but not too ridiculous -- I don't mean nanofibre elf fart bottle cages that cost 3000 ailing molluscs and are made pointless by a single mini melton mowbray) do you have that has made you happier than a thing has any right to? Tell me about it so I can share vicariously in your bling satisfaction.

Sam

bhoot:
A bell for me too, but a beautiful Lion one made in the UK with my name engraved on it.

yoav:
Agree with you about the Spurcycle bell. I didn't realise how good they were until I bought a secondhand bike that had one fitted. I also have a Lion bell.
Other cycle bling that are ridiculously expensive but once used, are worth every penny:

1. Oakley prescription varifocal sunglasses. Twice the price of other prescription sunglasses but they are super comfortable, light weight and really well-made lenses.
2. Rohloff hub/Gates belt combo. Stupidly expensive but once ridden, never bother with derailleur and chain again (probably)
3. (Any) Rapha jersey. I can only justify to myself buying from Rapha during one of their (many) sales.

ravenbait:

--- Quote from: bhoot on 03 April, 2024, 01:45:08 pm ---A bell for me too, but a beautiful Lion one made in the UK with my name engraved on it.

--- End quote ---
Oh nice! I looked at Lion, too, but they were a bit big for my limited cockpit real estate.

Sam

ravenbait:

--- Quote from: yoav on 03 April, 2024, 01:48:28 pm ---Agree with you about the Spurcycle bell. I didn't realise how good they were until I bought a secondhand bike that had one fitted.
Other cycle bling that are ridiculously expensive but one used, are worth every penny:

1. Oakley prescription varifocal sunglasses. Twice the price of other prescription sunglasses but they are super comfortable, light weight and really well-made lenses.
2. Rohloff hub/Gates belt combo. Stupidly expensive but once ridden, never bother with derailleur and chain again (probably)
3. (Any) Rapha jersey. I can only justify to myself buying from Rapha during one of their (many) sales.

--- End quote ---

Lovely.

I confess to a bit of a thing for Rapha myself. I love the little stories they put in sublimated print on the inside of their shorts.

Sam

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version