Author Topic: LEJOG record attempt.  (Read 32499 times)

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
Re: LEJOG record attempt.
« Reply #75 on: 30 August, 2018, 05:00:46 pm »
I have been involved a tiny amount .. but can not make the Saturday start.. so not in the actual "on road" support crew .. gutted.

This is a well planned , well thought out , well organised attempt.

Fingers crossed that it goes well for Jasmin
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #76 on: 30 August, 2018, 05:06:27 pm »
I have been involved a tiny amount .. but can not make the Saturday start.. so not in the actual "on road" support crew .. gutted.

This is a well planned , well thought out , well organised attempt.

Fingers crossed that it goes well for Jasmin

Echoed here.

Duracellbunnyonabike is off at 5 am this Saturday 1st September.

I'll be in one of the support vans "looking after" the food... :demon:

Let's hope there's some food left for her!  ;D

« Reply #77 on: 30 August, 2018, 05:14:44 pm »
Interesting. Saturday is my 60th Birthday, and we were thinking of going to North West Scotland, as that's my favourite place. I'd not been wanting to spend any of my own money on filming, but this might fit in, especially given the footage I already have of the male record.

« Reply #78 on: 30 August, 2018, 08:00:06 pm »
Interesting. Saturday is my 60th Birthday, and we were thinking of going to North West Scotland, as that's my favourite place. I'd not been wanting to spend any of my own money on filming, but this might fit in, especially given the footage I already have of the male record.

Ha!
Reading your report and your reluctance to make the film, it looks like fate is giving you a raw deal. Just to whet your appetite a bit more and as your videos tend to have multi faceted stories, there is also the two very (youngest is 4) young girls riding tag alongs, Katie and Rhoda. They are due to arrive at John O Groats on Sunday afternoon but have run into big problems so it's a bit of a nailbiter, so you possibly have 3 stories to tie in there and arguably 3 different takes on the end to end record (though the two young girls on the tagalongs isn't being sanctioned anywhere as far as I know) so this could re-set the storyboard in your head and give you the inspiration you need to make that video.

Or not....

Can't fault you on NW Scotland being your favourite place either and happy 60th!

Phil W

« Reply #79 on: 30 August, 2018, 09:14:04 pm »
Best of luck and don't eat all the sausages.

« Reply #80 on: 30 August, 2018, 10:47:22 pm »

Ha!
Reading your report and your reluctance to make the film, it looks like fate is giving you a raw deal. Just to whet your appetite a bit more and as your videos tend to have multi faceted stories, there is also the two very (youngest is 4) young girls riding tag alongs, Katie and Rhoda. They are due to arrive at John O Groats on Sunday afternoon but have run into big problems so it's a bit of a nailbiter, so you possibly have 3 stories to tie in there and arguably 3 different takes on the end to end record (though the two young girls on the tagalongs isn't being sanctioned anywhere as far as I know) so this could re-set the storyboard in your head and give you the inspiration you need to make that video.

Or not....

Can't fault you on NW Scotland being your favourite place either and happy 60th!

Michael and Helen are very keen on the film about John Woodburn by Ray Pascoe and Peter Dansie. That's based on very little in the way of actual footage of the record, and is padded out with stuff from TTs, a failed attempt the previous year, and lots of interview. A bit more footage might get my project nearer to the film I have in my head.

I did LEJOG in 1998 as a way of avoiding the possibility of a surprise 40th party, spending the day in pouring rain from Tarbert to North Ballachulish. So there's a bit of a personal echo there.

Jasmijn's timings aren't good for filming. Shap will still be dark, the same at the 24 Hour record point, which is 2.15 ahead of schedule anyway. That leaves the Forth Road Bridge, Drumochter and from Latheron onwards. The finish would be quite good.

I'm having a bit of a 'do' from 4 pm onwards on Saturday, so I'll see how the ride looks against the schedule to decide if I can I hit the booze.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #81 on: 31 August, 2018, 09:57:01 am »
Good luck duracellbunnyonabike!
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #82 on: 31 August, 2018, 01:54:27 pm »
Blacksheep's Mr Pickwick Goes To Hay in a Day 200km from Tewkesbury is taking place tomorrow. Anyone returning around 6.00pm should see her in the High Street.  :thumbsup:

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #83 on: 31 August, 2018, 06:51:09 pm »
Happy Birthday ESL, and best of luck to Jasmijn.
I'll be cheering Jas on from the roadside near Tewkesbury and might pop to the Hop Pole afterwards. If so I'll get to meet the riders I normally never see on Black Sheep's 200's cos I'm normally two hours behind them!
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #84 on: 02 September, 2018, 06:54:12 am »
Not looking good,. Tracker at service station in Kendal. Not moved for 30 mins to

« Reply #85 on: 02 September, 2018, 07:03:25 am »
There are some photo's on Twitter posted at 0655 which are captioned:  'Getting ready to tackle Shap after a short power nap.'

« Reply #86 on: 02 September, 2018, 07:42:40 am »
There was supposed to be a good fresh tailwind now, but here in S Lakes it is depressingly calm.  Hope it is better for her up Shap way.

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #87 on: 02 September, 2018, 09:31:20 am »
Stop at kendal was for a brief sleep stop.... but she is slipping back from her own schedule .. although we do not know whether her schedule takes the record by 2 hours say or just 15 minutes. Not getting the tail wind predicted. Fingers crossed . Go JAS

« Reply #88 on: 02 September, 2018, 12:20:44 pm »
Not looking good,. Tracker at service station in Kendal. Not moved for 30 mins to
Always happy to respond on the event twitter feed in real time @LejogRecord.  Unfortunately the tracker seems to getting a bit dozy and has been nodding off for a few minutes at a time ever since we left Lands End

« Reply #89 on: 02 September, 2018, 01:57:46 pm »
The weather Shap summit @05:30 was miserable. Poor visibility. The wait there explains my negative response!
Good tail wind now.  :)

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #90 on: 02 September, 2018, 10:13:16 pm »
Sunday 10.00 pm .. a brave effort but this o me now looks to hard a task for the last 12 hours.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #91 on: 02 September, 2018, 11:42:52 pm »

Her twitter account has announced that she's stopping. They don't say why, just more info in the morning.

Hope she's ok.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #92 on: 04 September, 2018, 06:32:46 pm »
Just got back home from crewing.
I wasn't there at the start and joined Jasmijn just south of Bridgewater to hand up a bottle with the sleep support van in case the other two support vans lost her in traffic in bridgewater, which is a bottleneck for traffic. (We lost Wheels of Fire in Bridgewater and never caught him until just before bristol, where he lost us again and recaught him up the A38)

Jasmijn looked very good and as if she was pacing herself very well, which she was. We nearly missed feeding her because the tracker was lagging quite a lot but as it turned out, she had already picked up a bottle and had eaten er food, so just threw me the wrapper to put in a bin.
Jasmijn made very good progress and looked very strong and was more or less on schedule. But going into the night she was becoming a bit spaced out. She looked very good on the bike and rode very well but showing signs of tiredness.
Just before the 24 hours were up she stopped to change clothes etc and she was still spaced out and tired. She was also not eating or drinking to her food schedule. Not eating enough. Not a good sign that she'd get through a second night but you can never always tell and she was still well in time to get the record, even if she hadn't managed the 24 hour record. She still rode 419 miles in the 24 hours, to my knowledge (best to check that than take my word for it)
Thereafter, Jasmijn was stopping for changes of clothes more often and losing a lot of time. She was still spaced out and  feeling cold, so stopped in Kendal before climbing Shap. We would have stopped a bit later but it was drizzling, not very warm and there's not really anywhere to stop on Shap so we pulled the support van into a closed petrol garage where she could change clothes sheltered from the rain under the garage roof by the pumps and have a sleep in the van.
This didn't revive her as much as I hoped it would but it was still quite early, so I hoped she'd ride steady, which was still fast enough, and start recovering before going into the second night.
We encouraged her to keep going steadily and get her eating and drinking more but wasn't having much luck. Jasmijn was still very spaced out but riding very solid and starting to recover, but not very much. The team were doubtful but hopeful and asked me what I thought.
I said that it doesn't look good. It's still possible but she needs to recover if she is going to get through another night and even then, when you struggle through the first night, it doesn't bode well for the second night, so if she does recover enough to get through another night it will be very hard.
We managed to get Jasmijn eating and drinking a bit more, which was encouraging but it was still tough going and she told us a few times that she wouldn't do it or that the end to end was over but the 1000 might still be on. I told her it was still possible and she still had a chance and to just take it steady and keep moving. But she was fighting a hard battle. After feeling l, she got hot and there were stops to change clothing etc which were eating up time. She did start to perk up a bit but was still tired and a bit spaced out.
At around Perth, I had done 2 crew shifts in the supple van and swapped to the sleep van so we could go ahead up the A9 to get some sleep in the van before doing another supply van shift, which was leapfrogging Jasmijn so we could hand up food and drink.
When I awoke in the seep van ready to my next shift, I read the message in our What's App team group, that Jasmijn had packed.
I wasn't surprised. She fought a hard battle for about 18 hours. Not physically. She always looked very good on the bike and was strong. I think it was down to not getting enough sleep in the run up to setting off and everyone on the team, as we as Jasmijn seemed to agree that it probably was a significant factor.
I was glad that when I saw her in the morning that she wasn't beating herself up about it and in good spirits. She looked very good physically and walking OK. Not hobbling around and stiff as you might expect for someone who had just ridden over 600 miles in well under 2 days.
So we had breakfast then spent all day driving back to unload helpers, observers and then sort out the 3 vanloads of bikes, clothes and other stuff.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #93 on: 04 September, 2018, 06:54:50 pm »
Thanks for the update, Steve, it's good to hear about it all in more detail. It was a brilliant ride but perhaps a step too far.
We can all theorise about what might have been managed differently, but we will never know the outcome of any of the helpful suggestions which are sure to follow. Just hope she doesn't let it get to her too much as she's had a lot riding on this for a long time...
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #94 on: 05 September, 2018, 03:34:37 pm »
thanks for the feedback Steve. How great to have someone like yourself with all that experience on the support team.
often lost.

Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

« Reply #96 on: 07 September, 2018, 08:02:27 am »
Mr Wells wasn’t cycling for any particular cause, just for the sheer enjoyment of riding his bike. He likes to keep active and is part of a walking group at home.

Donald said of his adventure, “I’m pleased with what I did but it’s just like any normal cycle ride for me, I don’t see it as anything particularly daring.

“I felt fine after I finished the ride – no aches and pains. I don’t rush and tear around, I take it easy.

“I suppose it’s what’s I’ve been doing all my life. I feel at home on a bike.”

« Reply #97 on: 09 September, 2018, 09:46:24 pm »
I've been wondering what I think about LEJOG.

I live just South of the City of Preston, which is where all the North/South routes on the West side of England converge. Our local economy is about movement, I can see the largest truck assembly plant in Europe, on the other side of the railway line from London to Glasgow from where I’m typing this.

I’m quite taken by the German word ‘Heimat’, which has no direct equivalent in English, but this might be one meaning.

‘"Home functions as the close environment that is understandable and transparent, as a frame, in which behavioural expectations are met, in which reasonable, expectable actions are possible – in contrast to foreignness and alienation, as a sector of appropriation, of active saturation, of reliability.”

The irony is that my ‘Heimat’ is a place that people pass through, it’s a transient space. That means that some of my sense of home includes the routes that intersect within a mile of where I live. ‘Heimat’ extends to the ribbons of steel and asphalt that radiate from Preston.

The single longest of those routes is from Land’s End to John O’Groats, and that’s become something of an iconic challenge. It’s a realistic achievement to aim at, and it’s readily envisaged. In 1891 the first ‘official’ record for a bicycle was set by George Pilkington-Mills in 4 days 11 hours and 17 minutes.  Lilian Dredge set a women’s record of 3 days 20 hours and 54 minutes in 1938. Those records were officiated by the Road Records Association, founded in 1888.

I think it’s possible to have a temporal ‘Heimat’. That’s what nostalgia is, a fondness for a time as well as place. Much of the fabric of my ‘homeland’ dates from the period between 1880 and 1910. So it’s hard to avoid the echoes of the era that was the highpoint of Lancashire’s relative prosperity.

I’m pre-programmed to be interested in Lands-End to John O Groats, as part of a continuous tradition of long-distance cycling stretching back to the 1880s. It’s also genetic. My father was a keen cyclist and cheered Gethin Butler on during his record ride in September 2001. Dad passed away in late May this year. A week after the funeral Michael Broadwith attempted to break the LEJOG record.

It’s now possible to follow the progress of these rides online, via a tracker. I wasn’t inclined to follow the attempt from Lands-End, partly out of superstition, partly for reasons of economy. So I kept an eye on Michael’s progress, with a view to filming him close to home. Dot-watching is quite popular, but it’s not close enough to the 1880s to satisfy my tastes. So it was inevitable that I’d be tempted to follow what was looking to be a successful challenge on the road. I had all the right equipment to convey some of the feeling of the ride on video, and I’ll get around to doing that when I’ve worked out how what I feel about it.

I’m not sure what the Irish equivalent of ‘Heimat’ is, but I got the feeling of a series of ‘homelands’ while following a 1200km Audax called ‘Mile Failte’ mainly in Cork, Kerry and Clare. Each peninsula had its own character, and the Burren was obviously a world unto itself. We visited another extreme point of the British Isles, at Slea Head, the most Westerly point, a compensation for not going to Lands End.

I suppose the French version of ‘Heimat’ is ‘Terroir’. We visited the Vosges area of France in August, a historic crossover between the French and German worlds. That was for the annual gathering the French Cycle Touring Federation, which explores a different home turf every year. We encountered Gethin Butler stringing together all the most difficult rides on the day out in the Vosges mountains. I wonder if he fancies his record back.

There’s been an increased interest in women’s long distance cycling, and last September Jasmijn Muller tried for the LEJOG record, following a very full season of distance riding. I was poised to film some of that, and followed the online dots to the nearby village of Coppull, where they stopped.

LEJOG record-breaking is an odd business. The fastest times result from bad weather, ideally a storm which brings a following wind for the longest period. But the Roads Record Association requires 48 hours notice of an attempt. The weather had been remarkably stable throughout the Summer of 2018. Michael Broadwith had been lucky to get one of the few breakdowns in the good weather, which made for an uncomfortable, but fast ride.

Jasmijn had prepared for a July ride, but the weather stayed resolutely hot and still. September was set for the attempt, and she announced a start on September 1st, the day of my 60th Birthday. There was a certain symmetry in the two main events of my year, my Father’s demise, and my 60th. That made me inclined to do some filming, especially as we planned a trip to Scotland. But I felt the need for some sort of party.

The dots were trending down from a fast start, and the iconic locations of Shap and Gretna were likely to be visited in the dark. It was also a very warm and still evening, ideal for a back-garden barbecue, not so much for LEJOG records, So I felt able to hit the booze and burgers. On Sunday we decided to head for Pitlochry as a first stop on our Scottish Tour, with half an eye on filming the LEJOG finish.

Jasmijn’s schedule put her well beyond Pitlochry by our arrival time, but coming onto the A9 at Perth we saw a lone female cyclist, well-lit, and well-equipped. We debated if it was Jasmijn, and tried to get the dots on Heather’s smartphone. Reception was poor enough for that operation to be inconclusive, so we headed to Pitclochry, and fired up the laptop at the Backpackers Hostel. Jasmijn seemed to be stalled about 10 miles South, near Dunkeld, so we headed down the road to see what was happening. We found Jasmijn, her team and the RRA officials stopped in a layby on the A9.

Jasmijn was having a short sleep, so we had a chat with Jon Williams, the RRA observer. The attempt was clearly in the balance at that point. Jasmijn got on her bike, as her team stressed their overriding concern for her safety. We drove about five miles up the road to set up for a shot of her riding in the dark. There wasn’t enough light for a planned drone shot, all we could do was to switch to infra-red on the video camera, and hope to get something.

It was surprising how much traffic there was on the A9 on a Sunday evening. It came in batches, perhaps because it was delayed by the following vehicle. Jasmijn came past, and didn’t look too bad. By the time we bought some chips for dinner, and got back to the Hostel, the website announced that the attempt was over. We’d been the last people to cheer Jasmijn on.

We hadn’t really planned where we’d go in Scotland. I’ve long seen the area North of Ullapool as a sort of spiritual homeland.. But I do wonder if that’s just a sort of fixation, amplified by interaction with the internet.

We now found ourselves in Perthshire, so we went with the flow, climbing a succession of 3,000+feet mountains, in a non Munro-Bagging way. By Saturday 8th September we’d logged 12, in a spirit of Munro-denial.

We’d been treating Pitlochry as a place to to bypass on the A9, on the way to somewhere else for over 35 years. It took a stalled LEJOG attempt for us to connect with a new ‘Heimat’ including Schiehallion, Meall Nan Turmachan, and the Glen Lyon Horseshoe. One irony is that we’d been across a good part of Breadalbane on the Daylight 600 Audax on a number of occasions. It looks a lot different when you’re not on a bike, and not on a schedule.

I do wonder if it’s possible to disconnect yourself from performance indicators in the modern era. Heather’s phone could tell us how many steps we took in our exploration of our newly apprehended part of Scotland. Our temporal and physical homelands can be as detailed as we want, and we can readily compare them with others.

I suppose one appeal of LEJOG is that all that effort, and all that detail, can resolve itself down into a single entry in a book that you might have got for Christmas as a child. I wonder what that will mean when no-one has a memory of getting the Guinness Book of Records, and such information is spread across the web.

« Reply #98 on: 10 September, 2018, 10:22:24 am »
Just got back home from crewing.
I wasn't there at the start and joined Jasmijn just south of Bridgewater to hand up a bottle with the sleep support van in case the other two support vans lost her in traffic in bridgewater, which is a bottleneck for traffic. (We lost Wheels of Fire in Bridgewater and never caught him until just before bristol, where he lost us again and recaught him up the A38)

Jasmijn looked very good and as if she was pacing herself very well, which she was. We nearly missed feeding her because the tracker was lagging quite a lot but as it turned out, she had already picked up a bottle and had eaten er food, so just threw me the wrapper to put in a bin.
Jasmijn made very good progress and looked very strong and was more or less on schedule. But going into the night she was becoming a bit spaced out. She looked very good on the bike and rode very well but showing signs of tiredness.
Just before the 24 hours were up she stopped to change clothes etc and she was still spaced out and tired. She was also not eating or drinking to her food schedule. Not eating enough. Not a good sign that she'd get through a second night but you can never always tell and she was still well in time to get the record, even if she hadn't managed the 24 hour record. She still rode 419 miles in the 24 hours, to my knowledge (best to check that than take my word for it)
Thereafter, Jasmijn was stopping for changes of clothes more often and losing a lot of time. She was still spaced out and  feeling cold, so stopped in Kendal before climbing Shap. We would have stopped a bit later but it was drizzling, not very warm and there's not really anywhere to stop on Shap so we pulled the support van into a closed petrol garage where she could change clothes sheltered from the rain under the garage roof by the pumps and have a sleep in the van.
This didn't revive her as much as I hoped it would but it was still quite early, so I hoped she'd ride steady, which was still fast enough, and start recovering before going into the second night.
We encouraged her to keep going steadily and get her eating and drinking more but wasn't having much luck. Jasmijn was still very spaced out but riding very solid and starting to recover, but not very much. The team were doubtful but hopeful and asked me what I thought.
I said that it doesn't look good. It's still possible but she needs to recover if she is going to get through another night and even then, when you struggle through the first night, it doesn't bode well for the second night, so if she does recover enough to get through another night it will be very hard.
We managed to get Jasmijn eating and drinking a bit more, which was encouraging but it was still tough going and she told us a few times that she wouldn't do it or that the end to end was over but the 1000 might still be on. I told her it was still possible and she still had a chance and to just take it steady and keep moving. But she was fighting a hard battle. After feeling l, she got hot and there were stops to change clothing etc which were eating up time. She did start to perk up a bit but was still tired and a bit spaced out.
At around Perth, I had done 2 crew shifts in the supple van and swapped to the sleep van so we could go ahead up the A9 to get some sleep in the van before doing another supply van shift, which was leapfrogging Jasmijn so we could hand up food and drink.
When I awoke in the seep van ready to my next shift, I read the message in our What's App team group, that Jasmijn had packed.
I wasn't surprised. She fought a hard battle for about 18 hours. Not physically. She always looked very good on the bike and was strong. I think it was down to not getting enough sleep in the run up to setting off and everyone on the team, as we as Jasmijn seemed to agree that it probably was a significant factor.
I was glad that when I saw her in the morning that she wasn't beating herself up about it and in good spirits. She looked very good physically and walking OK. Not hobbling around and stiff as you might expect for someone who had just ridden over 600 miles in well under 2 days.
So we had breakfast then spent all day driving back to unload helpers, observers and then sort out the 3 vanloads of bikes, clothes and other stuff.

Steve you are a legend, both in terms of your own rides and how you support others. The same counts for Liam and Aidan and Roger and lots of other amazing Audaxers and yacfers who have been closely involved with and/or have been very supportive of my record attempt.

I am healing. Both physically and emotionally at the moment. I am not beating myself up as I know I did far from the ride that I am capable of (I know that sounds arrogant and perhaps can be seen as being disrespectful of the current record but it definitely isn't meant in that way). But I am very sad and coming to terms with the fact that I need to let this dream go before it takes up too much of me.

People can be cruel on forums. I am happy to see that is not the case here. It is precisely through nice Audax rides that I hope to find back my love for cycling. I hope to see many of you on the road.

Give me a little time, but there is a blog in the making where I will expand a bit more about why I failed.

« Reply #99 on: 10 September, 2018, 11:51:30 am »
What we shot of Jasmijn's ride. An hour later we were watching the customers at the Mc Kay hotel in Pitlochry drinking their beers on the terrace in the 18 degree C heat. We went for a stroll down the high street in short sleeves.