Author Topic: Floyd calls it a day  (Read 5793 times)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Re: Floyd calls it a day
« Reply #25 on: 03 February, 2011, 06:23:17 pm »
I really think you should, whatever you think of him...it's quite enlightening.

Complete transcript: Paul Kimmage’s interview of Floyd Landis

I've just read the entire interview. Anybody who has any opinion on the whole thing should do the same.

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #26 on: 03 February, 2011, 07:30:47 pm »
I agree, the article is a great read. There is a tv programme my daughter watches where all the kids come up with cover stories for some stunt they have pulled, then one of them decides to come clean and tell the truth, at which point the headmaster says, "Now that I believe". I feel the same way.

At least we now have something that is believable if very sad for everyone concerned. You can see how a young rider at US Postal really has little choice, you can see why they all lie. At least Landis can go back to his Menonite parents and lead a simple life if he wants to.

I just can't help thinking of all the kind hearted folk who have defended Landis, Hamilton, whoever, going along with all the mumbo jumbo of dubious results, dodgy labs, any excuse they like, yet slow but surely more riders do eventually come clean. I like the way he makes fun of David Millar's little story, I tried it once and got caught, what a relief!!

But will Lance get caught?

« Reply #27 on: 03 February, 2011, 07:33:11 pm »
Lance already has been caught. Remember the backdated TUE?

Seineseeker

• The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #28 on: 03 February, 2011, 08:41:39 pm »
Lance already has been caught. Remember the backdated TUE?

I mean Lance get caught and found out!!! It would be bittersweet, great for pro cycling, terrible for amateur cyclists, the number of people I meet who idolise the guy as an inspiration. I don't really want to see that bubble burst.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #29 on: 03 February, 2011, 08:49:25 pm »
So covering up the truth and letting the cheats stomp all over the (few) non-doping professionals is a better option?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #30 on: 03 February, 2011, 08:50:03 pm »

I mean Lance get caught and found out!!! It would be bittersweet, great for pro cycling, terrible for amateur cyclists, the number of people I meet who idolise the guy as an inspiration. I don't really want to see that bubble burst.

That unfortunately could be his ultimate betrayal, that he has been cynically using his cancer survivor, cancer charity worker, persona as a shield against examination.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Seineseeker

• The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #31 on: 03 February, 2011, 09:22:43 pm »

That unfortunately could be his ultimate betrayal, that he has been cynically using his cancer survivor, cancer charity worker, persona as a shield against examination.

It's what's coming. Don't get me wrong I agree with you LittleBigWheel covering up is not a better option, I'm just pointing out if the truth does come out and be proven, it's so much bigger than just one of the greatest cyclists of all time being a fraud.

I still think he will wriggle out of it, he has incredibly powerful friends not just in cycling.

Getting back to Floyd, it's quite interesting that while most of us thing that menonites are weirdos and stuff, but at the end of the day he has a choice that very few of us have, he can just go back to that simple life away from it all and start again. I'm sure it suddenly seems quite attractive.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #32 on: 03 February, 2011, 10:30:49 pm »
I just can't help thinking of all the kind hearted folk who have defended Landis, Hamilton, whoever, going along with all the mumbo jumbo of dubious results, dodgy labs, any excuse they like, yet slow but surely more riders do eventually come clean.

Did you note the bit in the transcript where he mentions that he wasn't doing testosterone (he was doing HGH) and the lab results were wacko to find him guilty (of the wrong thing).

It clearly demonstrated a lot of powerful forces at work.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #33 on: 03 February, 2011, 10:32:14 pm »
Yes, Landis was stitched up. Doped but positive for the wrong thing.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Seineseeker

• The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #34 on: 04 February, 2011, 01:35:56 am »
I always said it was like a heroin addict testing positive for pot! It's clear Landis himself doesn't know how that positive came about, still if you read his interview, he was pretty blase about all the stuff he was taking.

It's even worse really than we (well I) thought, it's not just systematic, it's not all the teams, some organised, some not, it's done with the knowledge of those running the sport.

« Reply #35 on: 04 February, 2011, 12:20:51 pm »
I just can't help thinking of all the kind hearted folk who have defended Landis, Hamilton, whoever, going along with all the mumbo jumbo of dubious results, dodgy labs, any excuse they like, yet slow but surely more riders do eventually come clean.

Did you note the bit in the transcript where he mentions that he wasn't doing testosterone (he was doing HGH) and the lab results were wacko to find him guilty (of the wrong thing).

..d

But his appeal went to CAS, the highest court available and they found against him - are you suggesting that CAS were got at as well?  Why didn't they throw the case out for sloppy lab work (which you argued for at the time)?
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

« Reply #36 on: 04 February, 2011, 12:23:57 pm »
One thing puzzled me in teh Landis transcript - he suggests that at one point they dialled back the dosage becos US Postal were so far ahead they didn't need any more advantage.

So hows that work then?  Was the USP doping program so much better than everyone else's?  Were they doing more of it?  using better EPO? 
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

« Reply #37 on: 04 February, 2011, 12:29:23 pm »
More frequent transfusions maybe. Who knows...

...it does accord with rumours from within the peloton at the time about the reputation of USPS/Discovery

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #38 on: 04 February, 2011, 01:16:35 pm »

..d

But his appeal went to CAS, the highest court available and they found against him - are you suggesting that CAS were got at as well?  Why didn't they throw the case out for sloppy lab work (which you argued for at the time)?

I cannot fathom why CAS would feel competent to judge the technical merits of analytical chemistry lab work. With their training it would be so much 'he said, she said' and the wider political ramifications of large antidoping labs being held to ridicule.

The science is the science, it is up to the arbitrators as to what weight they want to put on the differing interpretations by the various parties.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #39 on: 11 February, 2011, 10:05:55 am »
One thing puzzled me in teh Landis transcript - he suggests that at one point they dialled back the dosage becos US Postal were so far ahead they didn't need any more advantage.

So hows that work then?  Was the USP doping program so much better than everyone else's?  Were they doing more of it?  using better EPO? 

He didn't "dial back the dosage" he took half a bag of blood rather than a whole one.

It's a good interview and quite insightful, but PK didn't once touch on Floyd's behaviour with respect to Greg LeMond and I think that was weak of him. That was one of the most despicable parts of Landis' actions around the time fo the trial and part of the reason I'm glad he's gone.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #40 on: 11 February, 2011, 10:17:26 am »
That business has raised my regard for Lemond.  Handled with dignity.
Getting there...

« Reply #41 on: 11 February, 2011, 10:38:39 am »
McQuaid is now saying that much of what Landis says went on in USPS is probably true.

Seineseeker

• The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #42 on: 11 February, 2011, 03:34:58 pm »
McQuaid is now saying that much of what Landis says went on in USPS is probably true.

Is he? That's kind of weird "probably true"!! What about much about what he says about the UCI!?

Also Clarion is spot on, Lemond handled the Landis attack very well, I had forgotten about that.

« Reply #43 on: 12 February, 2011, 10:05:37 am »
McQuaid came off really badly in Kimmage's book. Protecting vested interests.

Just found this from an Irish radio show broadcast just after Landis came clean. Kimmage and MQuaid interviewed seperately. McQuaid sounds pretty defensive.

Floyd Landis Accuses Lance Armstrong - Newstalk.ie

Great freudian slip from McQuaid - '....USADA will investigate the case and the UCI will help as much as necessary, as much as possible'.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #44 on: 16 February, 2011, 11:17:38 am »
Now he wants to sue the UCI.

In a strange way, I'm beginning to like him for not shutting up and giving up.