Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 332071 times)

MalRees

• Hayes - centre of no known universe
Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #1325 on: 05 June, 2017, 07:04:12 pm »
New Alpkit sleeping bag, as the now rather old Skyhigh 1200 is losing a certain amount of it's filling. I sleep really cold at the moment so I've splashed out on an ArcticDream 1200, as I want to camp as much as possible this year. Added on a stove wind guard in natty orange and some water bottles, which at 3 for a tenner look like great value.

« Reply #1326 on: 29 June, 2017, 11:07:16 pm »
Today I bought a travel electric toothbrush and a duffel dry bag from Aldi.  :D

The toothbrush is very neat.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #1327 on: 29 June, 2017, 11:10:30 pm »
A really nice thinsulate cap/Beanie one size fully lined call it what you will. £1.80 including delivery.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #1328 on: 01 July, 2017, 08:15:14 pm »
OH mocked me for the alpkit titanium chopsticks I keep in a side pocket of my bag right up until the point where she bought lunch at the station and they'd run out of disposable cutlery, at which point she​ stole mine. Unfortunately/fortunately when I went to get a replacement pair alpkit were also doing an offer on some of their Ti cookware, so got a bowl as well.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #1330 on: 03 July, 2017, 10:15:15 am »
OH mocked me for the alpkit titanium chopsticks I keep in a side pocket of my bag right up until the point where she bought lunch at the station and they'd run out of disposable cutlery, at which point she​ stole mine.
Can you eat soup with them?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1331 on: 03 July, 2017, 07:38:41 pm »
Nah, that's why I also have a titanium camping spoon in the same pocket  ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1332 on: 03 July, 2017, 07:45:45 pm »
Hollow chopsticks that double as a straw seems like a missed trick...

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1333 on: 14 July, 2017, 05:30:58 pm »
Not today, but yesterday, a cheap and cheerful Tarp from thon French Purveryor of Sporting Goods:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/tarp-camping-shelter-dark-green-id_2363223.html

Vital statistics:

Tarp size 2.9x2.85m

Tarp  complete with poles & pegs: 2.356kg on the kitchen scales.
Pegs: 235g
Poles: 1.4kg!
Tarp 725g.

Should be ideal for bike bivvying! Can't complain for a penny under £20!

« Reply #1334 on: 19 July, 2017, 04:24:22 pm »
Snow Peak Geo Shield stove:
https://www.rei.com/product/100186/snow-peak-geoshield-backpacking-stove
The windshield/baseplate arrangement took a while to put together on the first try, partly because it was late and I was tired. Once assembled it forms an extremely stable platform to cook on, much more so than any conventional gas cartridge stove I've seen. The separate piezo-electric ignitor is nice, I can use it on any of my stoves. Now to get out in the field with it...

I also picked up a lid for my Snow Peak double wall Ti mug- should keep my morning coffee warm a little longer.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1335 on: 19 July, 2017, 05:55:48 pm »
Snow Peak Geo Shield stove:
https://www.rei.com/product/100186/snow-peak-geoshield-backpacking-stove

Cor, that looks like it's in the same sort of league as a Trangia, stability-wise, while packing down a lot smaller.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1336 on: 19 July, 2017, 06:02:29 pm »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #1337 on: 19 July, 2017, 07:14:35 pm »
Cor, that looks like it's in the same sort of league as a Trangia, stability-wise, while packing down a lot smaller.   :thumbsup:

It's at least as stable as the Trangia windscreen setup, and will work better with bigger pots. The Trangia cookset/windscreen/stove makes a neater package, though, especially if you want to include the cutting board/pasta strainer that Trangia offer. I would expect the Geo Shield to work better in cold weather.

The Adventures in Stoving review sums up my impressions very nicely.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #1338 on: 21 July, 2017, 09:17:25 pm »
Sea to Summit Spark SP II bag.  That whimpering you can hear is my wallet.

Its a lovely thing and only 545g in its stuffsac but I wonder if I'll warm to it, if you'll pardon the pun, the way I did to my Karrimor Xlite bag.  Sure the Karrimor was only good to 11 degrees and weighed 787 or so but it was £40.  £40 for a bag that tiny and light is stupendous value for money.  Trouble is I froze my titzoff for one night in August 2015 when the temp got down to 5 degrees, hence the Spark.

So having rinsed my bank account severely, if you're ponding a camping trip from 29th July to 5th August I can pretty much guarantee there will be no cold nights from Kirkby Stephen up to Edinburgh.  Looking at the weather forecast wet but not cold.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #1339 on: 26 July, 2017, 10:01:33 am »
MSR Windburner stove system.
Brilliant piece of kit and very fast, boiling 1/2 litre 2m15sec. 600grams including gas.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1340 on: 28 July, 2017, 02:48:14 pm »
One of those excellent Colapz water carriers: https://colapz.co.uk/collections/our-products/products/liquid-carrier

Not cheap (even with the ALC's discount) but it's extremely well made, and is the most barakta-friendly design I've come across so far (though I might extend the lever on the tap a little).

« Reply #1341 on: 28 July, 2017, 03:46:08 pm »
A Trangia fuel bottle. Will hopefully lead to less spillage in future.

« Reply #1342 on: 28 July, 2017, 03:54:16 pm »
One of those excellent Colapz water carriers: https://colapz.co.uk/collections/our-products/products/liquid-carrier

Not cheap (even with the ALC's discount) but it's extremely well made, and is the most barakta-friendly design I've come across so far (though I might extend the lever on the tap a little).

Clever!  and pretty colours.      I can see uses for the bucket,   but a collapsible watering can ?   Even Butterfly doesn't take her potted plants camping!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1343 on: 28 July, 2017, 04:19:36 pm »
Just the thing for growing potatoes on Mars.  Or for refilling under stupid landlord-issue kitchen taps.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1344 on: 28 July, 2017, 08:20:03 pm »
For the allotment? Or for wild showering? Or is it actually intended as a tea pot?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1345 on: 29 July, 2017, 02:36:33 pm »

Barakta approves (well, except for the FUNKY PURPLE which she protests is too PINK - looks fine to me).  The tap is much better quality than the ones on those ubiquitous leaky collapsable carriers, gives a decent level of control and doesn't require unreasonable amounts of force to operate.

I had to de-burr the collar of the tap a little to stop it dripping, but having done that it's fine.

« Reply #1346 on: 29 July, 2017, 10:28:52 pm »
A Hilleberg Keron 3

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

« Reply #1347 on: 30 July, 2017, 10:18:44 am »
I may have visited Alpkit's Hather sage store on Thursday. Well I was passing on my way to Edale and it would have been rude not to!
I purchased a titanium Phlask and their little concertina wind shield.
Their range of tents are looking good and the Sonder bikes look really special if bike packing is your thing.

simonp

« Reply #1348 on: 04 August, 2017, 09:05:13 pm »
Hilleberg Nallo 4 GT.

2x Helinox ground chairs.

MalRees

• Hayes - centre of no known universe
« Reply #1349 on: 04 August, 2017, 11:13:24 pm »
Alpkit Brukit Jackal. You can never have too much tea.....