Author Topic: Speedmachine shock absorber  (Read 1173 times)

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
Speedmachine shock absorber
« on: 29 April, 2014, 10:15:09 am »
My speed machine has a DNM airshock rear suspension. It is old and leaks now - has to be pumped up all the time.
Looking for a replacement - anyone know what the current model might be - everything on the DNM website looks unfamiliar.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Re: Speedmachine shock absorber
« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2014, 12:46:12 pm »
I'd just measure the eye-to-eye dimension and the mounting dimensions, then source something from the LBS or Ebay.

If the I2I dimension is 165mm or more then it should be possible to find an MTB one to fit without any difficulty. It looks like the Rockshox Monarch is an option on the bike now, so it seems likely that there'll be lots of options.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #2 on: 29 April, 2014, 12:54:16 pm »
Surprised it's a DNM unit, I thought all the airshocks they've fitted for some years were DT Swiss units ? (used to be SSD225) - the ones they fit now seem to be DTSwiss XM180, and rather expensive* in the UK

*That said:
http://www.bike24.com/p221984.html
140euros

- I think the length you want is 165mm, can't remember if 37.5mm is the correct travel

There's a few other dtswiss options on the same page, so you might find them in the UK at a better price than the XM180 is listed at.

BTW - assuming you order the mounts/need the seat end machining to size 'cos of the mount type, I'd suggest measure the distance between the mounting plates with some vernier calipers. Mine splay from bottom to top, so bolting up the mount pulls them together. I queried HPVelo on this and they said it was within tolerance, but TBH I'd rather fit something that was nearer the real dimension. They're not all like that, certainly one poster on BROL found his to be the correct spacing and parallel. I've got an SD225 to fit, but I'll probably spend a few extra quid to get the correct size made up (which is a shame, cos when I bought it from CRC some years ago the mounts were included in the price).

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #3 on: 29 April, 2014, 08:39:25 pm »
Thanks guys - I got in touch with HPV and they still have the old unit that is a exact replacement so am getting it from them direct. Given my luck anything else I order will be exactly wrong by a small fraction that really matters(Need a new idler assembly too so can get all at same time).
The fettling up of the speedmachine is a precursor to the much bigger task of getting the Challenge Fujun SL2 back on the road after a 3 year rusting in the shed. I have set a target of riding the thing from Oxford to London nightride end May - and there are big cobwebs to deal with before i even touch the bike.
The bigger problem is going toe be the rider  I fear, 'not in shape' being polite for completely shot on the fitness died of things. But a target is a good thing.

Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird