Author Topic: Wacky races category.  (Read 3187 times)

Wacky races category.
« on: 16 September, 2018, 08:33:26 pm »
I’m (very tentatively) considering riding my trike for PBP. A couple of quick questions for those in the know.

What time does the wacky races category start? Are the time limits the same?

And a trike specific one. The rule summary on the leaflet says front and rear brakes. I’ve only got two front brakes. The trike has done PBP before in a past life, and is U.K. legal but I’m not sure if this will be an issue... can any fellow trikies assist?

John

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
Re: Wacky races category.
« Reply #1 on: 16 September, 2018, 08:57:53 pm »
dunno about start times as they may have changed.  The time limits are the same (the general same, not the fast-people same, if you want to go fast you need to start with the fast-people)
when I did it on a longbarrow we had 2 independent front brakes and no rear brakes.  Can't recall what the regs said at the time.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 16 September, 2018, 09:01:27 pm »
The special-needs (tandem, trike, recumbent, etc.) starts are 84hr and 90hr only, starting 15 minutes or so before the first 'standard' group with that time limit.

There is never any problem with two brakes on the front wheel for upright trikes. Barry Parslow showed the way for trikies at PBP about 50 years ago and Jim Hopper has started 9 PBPs on trike, so they know the deal.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3 on: 16 September, 2018, 09:11:57 pm »
In keeping with the International flavour of PBP, here is something to watch while you wait   :)
Garry Broad

« Reply #4 on: 16 September, 2018, 09:35:16 pm »
Great stuff.

My Trike did the first LEL, and I’m not sure which PBP, with Dave Poutney, so I’m sure unless they drastically alter rules I’ll be ok... I’m going to try to get to the October’s Midland TA meet so I’ll have a chat with Jim then.

No issues with going fast, this is a barrow not a recumbent!!! I’ll very much be in the 90 hr category!

At what point do I need to commit to the number of wheels I’ll be on?

John

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 16 September, 2018, 09:56:00 pm »
When you enter, but there is a chance to change your category after that, if absolutely required.

« Reply #6 on: 16 September, 2018, 10:10:58 pm »
Is that the initial pre registration or the registration when you’ve got your SR series?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 16 September, 2018, 10:48:23 pm »
The pre-registration lets you select your start time, in your case the special needs 90hr group. You can change your start time to an available standard start time (as many start times will be filled by then) when you complete your registration with your SR qualifiers, if you want to swap to a standard machine.

« Reply #8 on: 17 September, 2018, 12:46:03 am »
I'd have thought that if you think you might do it on two wheels *and* have a strong preference for start time, you should pick a 'normal' group at pre-reg, and then switch to velos speciaux later.

« Reply #9 on: 17 September, 2018, 06:15:33 am »
I'd have thought that if you think you might do it on two wheels *and* have a strong preference for start time, you should pick a 'normal' group at pre-reg, and then switch to velos speciaux later.

That sounds sensible. I shall have a ponder and see how the next few month’s trundling goes.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 17 September, 2018, 11:41:06 am »
I'm a big fan of making it a bit difficult to take a step back. If you want to ride the trike at PBP, plan to actually do so. Don't wimp out and optimise things for riding a bike and then 'possibly' swap to a trike. That way, doubt lies.

« Reply #11 on: 19 September, 2018, 04:27:29 pm »
Far more fun onna trike or tandem and starting ahead of the main field. If you can tag onto the tandems (some will be blisteringly fast)  or ride in a paceline with friends you are likely to remain ahead of the main bulge.  I am planning a fith PBP. Previous  2x tandem pilot 1x stoker. 1 x tandem trike. I will either join you onna trike or maybe on a tandem  in either case, if you know how to behave  you can have a wheel (or two)

« Reply #12 on: 14 January, 2019, 08:38:34 am »
I'm a big fan of making it a bit difficult to take a step back. If you want to ride the trike at PBP, plan to actually do so. Don't wimp out and optimise things for riding a bike and then 'possibly' swap to a trike. That way, doubt lies.

Well, I’ve done it.... it’s all your fault!!

Incidentally, no mention of brakes in the rules so I should be fine. (As long as I survive, Saturday’s descent into Winchcombe on Mr Pickwick’s January Sale was terrifying!!)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13 on: 14 January, 2019, 09:35:56 am »
Sounds good to me. You've been going pretty well so far and have plenty of time to improve. I'll be pre-registering in a couple of weeks, in the same group probably.