Author Topic: What's caffeinating you today?  (Read 130468 times)

Re: What's caffeinating you today?
« Reply #375 on: 25 January, 2015, 02:42:13 pm »
Need a nice slow pour. 60% brew ratio worked best for me.

Yeah I'm doing 20 in 34 out in 25 at 94 in a VST 20 ridgeless comp.

It's nice but I marginally preferred the Jampit hit.

« Reply #376 on: 11 February, 2015, 12:25:13 am »
Yep, worked best when you wrung it out.  I even pushed it to a 1:1 ristretto ground stupidly fine with a 35s pull at about 95 deg.  It was ridiculously good. 

I've rung the changes again now.  2 Kg of Rave Monsooned Malabar arrived today!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #377 on: 30 April, 2015, 11:33:02 am »
My delivery from Hasbean arrived yesterday, so I've been playing with my new Porlex mini grinder this morning.

I've tried two of the five coffees from the 'starter pack' so far - Finca La Chorrera from Colombia, which is perhaps a touch acidic for my liking, and the Phil Ter blend, which I like very much indeed.

Experimenting with different settings on the Porlex and different techniques with the Aeropress means I should get through all five bags of beans in pretty short order. I've already had four cups today...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #378 on: 30 April, 2015, 03:26:36 pm »
Watch out for the TV News tonight, in which a trained negotiator talks a totally wired citoyen out of a tree.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #379 on: 30 April, 2015, 04:06:49 pm »
Received a new moka pot for experimental purposes. Seasoned it with supermarket crap (straight down sink) then tried one of the freebie Caffè Mauro pods that came with.  HTF do people DRINK such shit?

Lunchtime I finished the last of my last Yrga roast in the pukka espresso engine.  Got 300g of Izuba Red Bourbon maturing now.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

« Reply #380 on: 01 May, 2015, 01:21:03 am »
Watch out for the TV News tonight, in which a trained negotiator talks a totally wired citoyen out of a tree.

Either that or I'll wake up in hospital with delusions of provincial government, eh?

Just tried another one from the delivery - Brazilian Fazenda Cachoeira da Grama. Omfg, it's lush, think I'll have another one...

« Reply #381 on: 01 May, 2015, 07:55:09 am »
Morrison's Ethiopian (pre ground). I'm slumming it waiting on a delivery of Has Beans :)
Actually its OK and a bargain at £5 for two bags.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #382 on: 01 May, 2015, 08:14:01 am »
Just tried another one from the delivery - Brazilian Fazenda Cachoeira da Grama. Omfg, it's lush, think I'll have another one...

Funny, I've had very little Brazilian coffee so far.

Had a very premature cup of Izuba this morning, a bit fine on the grind and run for ~35 sec, but it was very promising. Going to roast some Guatemala today.  It's a holiday but no point in riding, it's pissing down.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #383 on: 01 May, 2015, 10:43:24 am »
Mocha Guatemala from my aeropress. Mmm.

citoyen

« Reply #384 on: 01 May, 2015, 05:28:18 pm »
M'colleague who knows about these things says it's being 'pulped natural' rather than 'washed' that gives my Brazilian coffee its full body and low acidity.

Whatever it is, I like it.

A lot.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #385 on: 03 May, 2015, 07:54:52 am »
Funny how things converge: I've been swapping notes with a Brazilian about Santos Type 4, which he with natural modesty proclaims the best in the world. Turns out that Santos is a port through which the (supposedly) best coffee is exported, and that most of it is "pulped natural" red bourbon.  "Pulped natural" seems to be the same as what Central America calls the honey process.

I've been drinking Burundi red bourbon the last couple of days. Washed. At only 4 days after roast it's superb, very full-bodied and almost like prunes in the deeper notes. Nearly finished now, though, the importer's run out.

I hope Burundi continues peaceful - the Hutu/Tutsi thing is on the edge of erupting again.

« Reply #386 on: 06 May, 2015, 05:14:10 pm »
Rave Nuts 'n Plums in a flat white made with my new Londinium lever machine.  Yummy!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #387 on: 17 May, 2015, 05:40:59 pm »
Carrying out an experiment with the Bialetti Brikka.  I roasted a mix of odd remnants (El Fuego, Yrga and Sidamo) on Friday and I'm brewing up a double shot every day to see how it evolves.

Yesterday morning it was thin, but pleasant enough.  Today the flavour and body are strengthening.  So pleasant that I had another double after lunch.

Looks like Burundi's going down the tubes again.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #388 on: 18 May, 2015, 08:20:49 am »
Two double shots this morning.  I hope I don't drink it all before it peaks.

Three days after roasting the body is now good, the flavour is very pleasant and the aftertaste is what prompted me to make a second one an hour after the first.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #389 on: 18 May, 2015, 10:15:00 am »
Finished my packet of Taylor's 'Brasilia' yesterday so back to their 'Italian' stuff instead. Definitely prefer the latter :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #390 on: 21 May, 2015, 07:44:10 am »
Yrgacheffe, roasted last Friday.  Velvety, almost no bitterness beyond the crema, wonderful round flavour.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #391 on: 21 May, 2015, 07:58:45 am »
Yrgacheffe, roasted last Friday.  Velvety, almost no bitterness beyond the crema, wonderful round flavour.

I know you are over in Furrin parts, but if you can try and get hold of some UC Yrgacheffe.  It is the most amazing stuff.  Roasted in Oxfordshire and sold in delis and Steamer Trading Company shops around the UK.  The major differnce to others? It is wood roasted rather than gas or electric.  Makes the most gorgeous espresso.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #392 on: 21 May, 2015, 08:51:18 am »

I know you are over in Furrin parts, but if you can try and get hold of some UC Yrgacheffe.  It is the most amazing stuff.  Roasted in Oxfordshire and sold in delis and Steamer Trading Company shops around the UK.  The major differnce to others? It is wood roasted rather than gas or electric.  Makes the most gorgeous espresso.

Sounds good.  That would be the original method, too, over a wood fire.

As it happens, we have a wood fireplace in the kitchen...

Hum. Google isn't finding any UC Yrgacheffe or even UC Yirgacheffe, and STC don't list it on their site.  What does UC stand for?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #393 on: 21 May, 2015, 08:55:42 am »
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #394 on: 21 May, 2015, 09:20:14 am »
My bad, it's UE.

http://www.uecoffeeroasters.com/

Got it, ta.

Trouble is that if they ship within a week of roasting and it's a week in transit it wouldn't be worth getting more than 250g because by the time I finished it it'd be over the peak, and at £10 postage that's a bit thick.

I would dearly love to get my hands on some more green Burundi Red Bourbon but all my usual sources are are out of stock, except for one who wants 32€ / kg.  I'm falling back on Bob-O-Link - never tried it before.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #395 on: 22 May, 2015, 09:43:46 pm »
Very NSFW but incredibly cool mug (sorry, couldn't think of a better thread):

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #396 on: 27 May, 2015, 07:52:47 am »
Cut as in snub?

No matter.  Today I am attempting to savour a Bob-O-Link I roasted a week ago.  Light roast.  Not very happy.  Tried it in the Lelit half a dozen times so far, did a 10cl Brikka this morning with 14g. Not happy.

Bastard guests at weekend guzzled all my Yrga, daughter walked off with my last batch of El Fuego. BOL's all I've got. Rats.

First time I've roasted a honey-process coffee. Maybe I'll reduce the drying phase. Opinions?

« Reply #397 on: 29 May, 2015, 09:12:16 pm »
I have been playing with a Moka pot. Lidl are selling these. What do you more experienced coffee people think, worth a punt?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #398 on: 29 May, 2015, 10:14:14 pm »
Looks very familiar - I've seen it somewhere under another name.  If it's the same then it won't turn out "barista-quality" coffee (nothing will at that price) but it will use ready-ground from the supermarket or ESE pods that you can get from a variety of UK dealers.

Hum. Found this: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2107747

"...made by De'Longhi", right.

Some De'Longhis use an exit valve at the bottom of the water-tank and some have leakage problems.  More rational machines syphon the water up.

I'm almost tempted to say stay with the moka pot, but at 40 quid and 3-year guarantee it's not much more expensive.

If you do get it, check where the exit valve is in the tank, and keep an eye on it if it's underneath.

« Reply #399 on: 30 May, 2015, 07:22:30 pm »
Thanks T42. I had already seen that MSE thread but it was from 2009. The Silvercrest - De'longhi is not the same m/c and the one on sale now is £50.