Author Topic: What's caffeinating you today?  (Read 129623 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What's caffeinating you today?
« Reply #325 on: 21 October, 2013, 04:46:09 pm »
Interesting, thanks. Hope there isn't a badger in there.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #326 on: 21 October, 2013, 04:55:21 pm »
That's a separate flavour wheel. There are actually seven grades of badger, depending on ripeness.

hillbilly

« Reply #327 on: 22 October, 2013, 07:55:55 am »
Trying to reduce caffeine intake to more normal levels, so resorting to proper coffee cut with decaff (sold in Sainsbury as Half Caff) made with a SwissGold filter. 

What an insipid drink.  It's not fooling my neurons, half of which are transmitting WTF messages.  Admittedly it might be the Sainsbury coffee.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #328 on: 22 October, 2013, 08:49:34 am »
That's a separate flavour wheel. There are actually seven grades of badger, depending on ripeness.

Last Friday I rode past a dead wild boar. Not a hint of coffee about it, not even Nespresso.

« Reply #329 on: 22 October, 2013, 10:24:59 am »
Just as fresh beans need a couple of weeks resting for the flavours to develop, so do badgers and boar.

Go back in a week.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #330 on: 20 November, 2013, 12:36:34 pm »
A nice PR sent a toy to the office for us to play with...

It's very good. Select your cup size and strength using a touch screen display, then it grinds the beans to order and pumps out a cup of excellent espresso with a lovely thick crema.

Unfortunately, it's only ours on loan and will have to go back sooner or later, so I'm making the most of it while we've got it. Four cups already so far this morning. I am literally off my tits.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #331 on: 20 November, 2013, 01:08:08 pm »
Nothing! The sodding machine has broken.

Apologies for the language - going cold turkey!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #332 on: 20 November, 2013, 06:52:10 pm »
A nice PR sent a toy to the office for us to play with...

It's very good. Select your cup size and strength using a touch screen display, then it grinds the beans to order and pumps out a cup of excellent espresso with a lovely thick crema.

Unfortunately, it's only ours on loan and will have to go back sooner or later, so I'm making the most of it while we've got it. Four cups already so far this morning. I am literally off my tits.

Excellent espresso?

If it does, it'll be the first fully auto machine that can. ;)

citoyen

« Reply #333 on: 20 November, 2013, 07:13:56 pm »
Excellent espresso?

If it does, it'll be the first fully auto machine that can. ;)

Hmmm. OK...

Excellent by automatic machine standards, based on my experience. And not bad by any standard.

I forgot that some people have rarefied ideas of excellence when it comes to coffee. While other people claim to take their coffee very seriously and then get excited about a Nespresso machine. (I'd say the Panasonic machine is much better than a Nespresso, but then it bloomin' well ought to be for just shy of £900.)

I'd be interested to know what a coffee ponce true connoisseur such as your good self makes of it though.

« Reply #334 on: 20 November, 2013, 08:07:16 pm »
Its OK, I'm a self-confessed coffee ponce  ;D Happy to admit it, and certainly happier to describe myself as that, than as a 'true connaisseur'

Your machine can control dose, grind and it can control the amount of water put through the coffee, but it can't taste the coffee and change those variables accordingly. That is the difference.

If I took three different coffees and pulled all three on the same variables, got you to taste and then allowed me to tweak you'd be surprised at just how much can be done.

Yer standard Italian style coffee (medium roast, heavy on the Brazil's with a bit of robusta thrown in for body and crema) is actually really easy to extract and you have to be pretty ham-fisted to end up with something bad in the cup. This is possibly the key reason why coffee in Italy is consistent, and consistently good. However, its never amazing and for that you need to go down the road of varietals that are harder to extract.

I've got three on the go at the moment, a Sumatran Jagong, an Ethiopian Yirgachef, and a Rwandan. The yirg need a fine grind and a lot of water through it, otherwise its like a mouthful of oily acid. The Jagong needs a fine grind, so that it comes out in drips, and you nneed to cut the shot at about half the volume of the yirg (ristretto) or you lose the sweetness. A machine cannot know this.

Its really weird how doing this and getting a sense of the coffee and how to best extract it seems to come naturally to me now. This wasn't always the case. It is a bit of a black art, and it is interesting how uncomfortable some people are with discussions like this and want to deny that the person doing the grinding, filling, tamping and extracting has much of an impact. I certainly am guilty of having fallen in that camp a while back.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #335 on: 21 November, 2013, 12:45:50 pm »

Second day without the coffee machine. We have access to the clients coffee machine on the floor below, but it only produces foul mud. :(
216km from Marsh Gibbon

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #336 on: 21 November, 2013, 12:50:57 pm »

Second day without the coffee machine. We have access to the clients coffee machine on the floor below, but it only produces foul mud. :(

I feel your pain, Wunja.  We have $TOO_MANY BTC machines here at work, but only one of them produces an acceptable drink (the others all either burn the grounds by having the water too hot, or have the pressure set too high so you get a cup of almost clear liquid).  That one decent machine is having fits at the moment, working then not working.  Fortunately it's only on the steaming side (for the milk) that it is playing up, so a straight Americano is still available (as are espressos), thankfully.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

citoyen

« Reply #337 on: 21 November, 2013, 01:00:10 pm »
Yer standard Italian style coffee (medium roast, heavy on the Brazil's with a bit of robusta thrown in for body and crema) is actually really easy to extract and you have to be pretty ham-fisted to end up with something bad in the cup. This is possibly the key reason why coffee in Italy is consistent, and consistently good. However, its never amazing and for that you need to go down the road of varietals that are harder to extract.

This makes a lot of sense and matches my experience - some bog-standard supermarket blends seem to produce a fairly decent drink without much effort, while an expensive single varietal can give surprisingly shit results if not handled carefully...

You don't need to convince me that the kind of personal input and attention to detail you describe can make a genuine difference. I may not be a coffee ponce* but I am a bit of a beer ponce and I'm sure that much the same principles apply.

*some of my colleagues might say I am but it's all relative.

« Reply #338 on: 14 December, 2013, 09:21:58 pm »
I made an impulse buy of Lavazza red beans the other day and stuck them in the hopper this morning.

It's barely better than instant - unpleasantly bitter, stale and jarring, with a teasing citrus note on the nose but nothing in  the cup. 

I'm looking forward to replacing it with my staple everyday Happy Donkey Italian Blend.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #339 on: 14 December, 2013, 09:40:26 pm »
Three espressos (Java lavata, ristretto as usual) after lunch, and, since the effect is much the same, 5 mugs of tea.

« Reply #340 on: 14 December, 2013, 11:49:49 pm »
I made an impulse buy of Lavazza red beans the other day and stuck them in the hopper this morning.

It's barely better than instant - unpleasantly bitter, stale and jarring, with a teasing citrus note on the nose but nothing in  the cup. 

I'm looking forward to replacing it with my staple everyday Happy Donkey Italian Blend.

Get yourself a kilo of Rave coffee Italian Job.

Its a step up from the Donkey but still well priced. I've got some in at the moment if you are passing by

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #341 on: 10 January, 2014, 01:28:26 pm »
My Solis grinder died. Just bought an Iberital MC-2 as anything else was just too much price-wise. As I spent a ball-aching 30 minutes and an entire pack of beans getting the grind fine enough, I kind of wish I'd gone for something a tad more 'adjustable' and screwed the cost. Still the happy donkey beans with it aren't too much to cry over using up....
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #342 on: 05 April, 2014, 02:07:29 pm »
I woke up this morning craving coffee but was all out, so walked up to the Whittard's outlet around the corner to pick some up.

Usually I get a small bag of something and ask them to grind it for me, but this morning I spotted something shiny on the shelf. Long story short, I walked out a few minutes later with a bag of their Bourbon Espresso beans and a Zassenhaus Lima hand-grinder  :thumbsup:

I'm still figuring it out, but for £35 it's a nice toy to play with. My first attempt at an espresso grind took forever and choked my machine, so I thought I'd try a courser grind in my moka pot.

Like all coffee numpties, though, I do have a few questions. For a start, how long should I keep these beans for? Living alone, I don't get through massive quantities of coffee so I've always bought the little 125g bags of ground coffee and kept it in an airtight jar in the shade. Even then, after a week or two it's not tasting as good as it did. Will whole beans last longer?

« Reply #343 on: 05 April, 2014, 02:21:10 pm »
I've finally hot round to ordering some Rave beans - a kilo of Italian Job and one of signature.   I'll let you know how I get on..

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #344 on: 15 April, 2014, 04:34:11 pm »
I've finally hot round to ordering some Rave beans - a kilo of Italian Job and one of signature.   I'll let you know how I get on..

Oooh, Rave are only down the road from me, up in Cirencester. I think my jar'o'beans is running a bit low, so I'll probably cycle up at the weekend and pick up a bag  :thumbsup:

« Reply #345 on: 15 April, 2014, 04:49:39 pm »
They close at midday on a Saturday.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #346 on: 15 April, 2014, 05:30:00 pm »
Ta for the heads-up - I'd best drag myself out of my pit bed nice and early :)

citoyen

« Reply #347 on: 15 April, 2014, 05:36:11 pm »
Finca Capetillo, from Guatemala via Monmouth. Love this one. Favourite I've had from them for a while. Smooth and hazelnutty, moderate acidity, not too fruity.

http://www.monmouthcoffee.co.uk/coffee/central-america/guatemala/finca-capetillo

« Reply #348 on: 15 June, 2014, 10:18:56 am »
Rave Monsooned Malabar at the moment, in a lovely flat white with the awesome microfoam my new machine can produce.

I tried the Italian job and found it a bit meh.  Perhaps it needs a cooler extraction than "hx standard" 93-94?  I actually prefer the rough and ready unwashed robusta hint of the donkey.

I've also got some Rave Mocha Java and Fudge lined up as well as a Yirgacheffe from that bloke in bristol whose name escapes me. 

« Reply #349 on: 15 June, 2014, 10:23:29 am »
The Italian Job is meh in milk, but as a ristretto it produces an excellent replication of Italian espresso.

Mocha Java is fierce  ;D

I'm on Union Foundation