Author Topic: Poor Student, 07/01/2017  (Read 35092 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Poor Student, 07/01/2017
« Reply #250 on: 07 January, 2018, 11:19:52 am »
Rolled round just fine, no ice to speak of along the route, had to walk several hills, mostly in the middle section. It is too early in the year and too cold for me to muscle an over-geared fixed the whole way.

Collected along the way:
Endura red gillet - returned to owner in Malmesbury (a pity, it probably was better than mine)
Northwave clear glasses (tell me the frame colour and they're yours)

Collected at the finish:
Black winter gloves (tell me the make, etc.)
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #251 on: 07 January, 2018, 01:06:50 pm »
A pretty tough edition with that chilly headwind most notably after Cirencester and then the hills that never seem to get any easier thereafter. Good to meet so many new faces along the way and get the year off to a proper start. This year tried the garden centre at Malmesbury for the first time and was pleasantly surprised with the range of food options, friendliness of staff and spaciousness of the cafe. Back to Bantam Tearooms after local supermarket in 2016. Nothing beats that log fire and their wholesome meals on such a chilling afternoon. Not often you get to the end to find someone wanting to take a picture of your bike. Flattered.

Top marks to the guys on the grass verge cheerily eating pasta just beyond Chipping Campden.

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #252 on: 07 January, 2018, 04:33:36 pm »

A pretty tough edition with that chilly headwind

Missed you again Bob! Just needed to get it done so I took off like me a nutter and finished fairly early but with spaghetti legs. Not exactly sub-zero temps but a really grey bone-chiller most of the day.. Thanks orgs. See you next year.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

« Reply #253 on: 07 January, 2018, 11:26:56 pm »
no ice to speak of along the route

You must be a lot quicker than us: the single track road after Finstock was getting pretty treacherous by the end.

Anyway - first Randonnée for me on the Pino, and for my stoker on anything at all, and we got round with loads of time to spare (8 minutes). The Chipping Campden control is my new personal best at cutting it fine - one minute to spare on the receipt!

« Reply #254 on: 08 January, 2018, 01:26:01 am »
Well done Duncan. The Pino looked like fun but hard work. I saw your bike parked in Chipping Campden when I came out of the pub and realised you were close to the time limit. The Bantam Tearooms were shut (but with Phil W locked inside!) so went to the pub to get something hot. No food was being served so had to make do with a coffee.

There was plenty of frost glinting in the front light for the last hour so were taking it very carefully but just got a bit of wheelspin on the uphills.

Definitely a tough ride and half an hour slower on the road than last year.

Looking forward to some warmer weather.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #255 on: 08 January, 2018, 07:35:58 am »
I saw a Pino pair on the way round but didn't know you were on the brevet. I finished before 19:00 as I didn't want to spend too much time in the dark in January.

« Reply #256 on: 08 January, 2018, 09:46:11 am »
I thought that was a fairly acceptable ride for January, cold wind etc, but have had worse weather on the Poor Student, notably one particularly wet edition. Still, I may have been warmed by the knowledge that this ride completed a Double RRTY in twelve months.

« Reply #257 on: 08 January, 2018, 11:38:39 am »
I saw a Pino pair on the way round but didn't know you were on the brevet. I finished before 19:00 as I didn't want to spend too much time in the dark in January.

Very wise. It felt quite dark this time, so the downhill stretches had to be slower than I'd normally take them. I also need to sort out better lights on the Pino - current setup is nowhere near as good as I have on the Brompton I used for all my previous Poor Student rides.

All in all I'd say those were pretty decent conditions for January, but could have done without the headwind on the hilly middle section!

cgg

« Reply #258 on: 08 January, 2018, 01:17:05 pm »
Just noticed my receipt for Malmesbury says "Summer Cafe, 4 High Street" but doesn't mention Malmesbury. It will be alright, will it?

« Reply #259 on: 08 January, 2018, 02:27:42 pm »
Just noticed my receipt for Malmesbury says "Summer Cafe, 4 High Street" but doesn't mention Malmesbury. It will be alright, will it?

I'm sure it will. Summer Cafe is even listed on the route sheet!

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #260 on: 08 January, 2018, 10:35:26 pm »

[Running Joke]Only if it's BST[/RJ]
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #261 on: 09 January, 2018, 10:33:24 am »
I belatedly had to ride on Sat rather than my preferred Sun, so thought to enter the PS but noted the NE wind would mean hitting it head-on over the Cotswolds. As it was I rode my Severn Br 200 Perm which, going AC, hits The Whiteway late in the ride. The wind made that section slow but I was close to home in Cheltenham and I turned off after Chedworth. I rode the PS Perm AC a couple months ago and whilst I finished doing the hilly northern section (starting in Andoversford), the AC would be my preferred route with an Oxford start, as it is a lovely run back from Malmesbury (when tired and in the dark?).
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #262 on: 09 January, 2018, 11:03:50 am »
Is the chap on the recumbent at the Poor Student this weekend a YACFer? He was looking decidedly cold in KFC afterwards with the shakes - just hoping the drive back home went OK!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #263 on: 12 January, 2018, 04:56:42 pm »
Yup, the LEL webmaster too.