Author Topic: London-Wales-London  (Read 67542 times)

Re: London Wales London (Severn Across as was...)
« Reply #25 on: 26 September, 2016, 09:40:01 am »
The River Wye is the border from the Severn Estuary up to Redbrook (a few miles South of Monmouth), so both rides definitely go into Wales.

From memory there's no "Croeso i Gymru" sign coming over the old Bridge, only a sign for Monmouthshire.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
London Wales London (Severn Across as was...)
« Reply #26 on: 26 September, 2016, 09:41:56 am »
I believe the border follows the River Wye between Chepstow and Hay, so you enter Wales when you cross the bridge into Chepstow. And then leave it via the Severn bridge.

(ETA: cross posted with Greenbank)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

London Wales London (Severn Across as was...)
« Reply #27 on: 26 September, 2016, 09:45:40 am »
Very tempted to enter this. Last time I found myself suffering on the final leg due to not being dressed for the cold - was almost falling asleep on the bike but didn't want to stop and risk hypothermia.

Having a nicer stop than Membury and the possibility of a short nap might make for a much happier experience (that and remembering that it does get properly cold at night in May and dressing accordingly).

« Reply #28 on: 26 September, 2016, 10:13:48 am »
I believe the border follows the River Wye between Chepstow and Hay, so you enter Wales when you cross the bridge into Chepstow. And then leave it via the Severn bridge. .......

Not quite true, if it were the case, a large proportion of Herefordshire would be annexed out of England.

Agreed, crossing the old bridge into Chepstow and later crossing the M48 bridge you traverse from England to Wales and back.

The river does form the border upstream from Chepstow  to just north of Redbrook.. From there  the border runs well to the east of the river  If you follow the Monmouth to Hay road B4233 North out of Monmouth, you will cross the wales/England border a few times.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #29 on: 26 September, 2016, 12:51:47 pm »
There's an England sign looking back from the old bridge...
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

citoyen

« Reply #30 on: 26 September, 2016, 12:59:32 pm »
Not quite true, if it were the case, a large proportion of Herefordshire would be annexed out of England.

I wouldn't put it past the Welsh!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #31 on: 26 September, 2016, 06:40:49 pm »
BTW - what do you think of the photography?  I particularly like the images on the "Audax" and "Training" pages!

love the "what is an audax" one, for the scenery and for my own bum shot :) (i took a few photos as well on that ride, could dig out some more)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #32 on: 26 September, 2016, 09:18:26 pm »

While we're here ... I'm guessing from the precision of that statement, you've checked that we do indeed stray briefly into Wales. I've always wondered if the Dean/7Across route does; I don't think there's a border sign, and it's very unclear on most maps I've looked at. (I've never paid a toll, or had my passport checked either).

there is a sign where the wye valley road meets the M48, but as you are going in the opposite direction you might not notice, but you should definitely have noticed the welcome to England sign.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #33 on: 26 September, 2016, 09:19:17 pm »
Where is the Chepstow control?  If I'm free I'll volunteer to staff it with a few spares and tools available.

« Reply #34 on: 27 September, 2016, 09:45:27 am »
Don't think there's a specific control. In previous years it's has just been a receipt from anywhere in Chepstow (I've usually gone to the Tesco).

« Reply #35 on: 27 September, 2016, 09:54:33 am »
Don't think there's a specific control. In previous years it's has just been a receipt from anywhere in Chepstow (I've usually gone to the Tesco).

There will be a control - most likely at the Toast cafe in Tutshill which will include some nosh.  I've always felt that the Tesco in Chepstow was a bit of an anticlimax after slogging all the way to Chepstow; its been one of the upgrades I've wanted to make for a while..

Liam

citoyen

« Reply #36 on: 27 September, 2016, 10:25:18 am »
There will be a control - most likely at the Toast cafe in Tutshill which will include some nosh.  I've always felt that the Tesco in Chepstow was a bit of an anticlimax after slogging all the way to Chepstow; its been one of the upgrades I've wanted to make for a while..

Pffft. If there's no opportunity to try and get some kip in a bus shelter in the pouring rain at 2am, it's not a proper audax.

;)

« Reply #37 on: 27 September, 2016, 10:28:34 am »
Excellent, that's a nice upgrade.

Pffft. If there's no opportunity to try and get some kip in a bus shelter in the pouring rain at 2am, it's not a proper audax.

If you're still in Chepstow at 2am you've got other problems.

citoyen

« Reply #38 on: 27 September, 2016, 10:58:58 am »
If you're still in Chepstow at 2am you've got other problems.

Last time I did the SA I got lost in the pitch black country lanes towards the end, so you never know...

« Reply #39 on: 27 September, 2016, 04:29:38 pm »
I generally went to the small Tesco in Bulwark which avoided two passes of the lights by the main Tesco, and was smaller so a bit quicker all round. 

As discussed on the other thread, making it a free control in Chepstow, rather than specifying a cafe, would be appreciated!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #40 on: 27 September, 2016, 04:38:05 pm »
I generally went to the small Tesco in Bulwark which avoided two passes of the lights by the main Tesco, and was smaller so a bit quicker all round. 

As discussed on the other thread, making it a free control in Chepstow, rather than specifying a cafe, would be appreciated!
Also saves climbing that 'orrible busy road on a full stomach.  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #41 on: 27 September, 2016, 05:01:03 pm »
I've always used the Severn View services to control at - burger and coffee is enough to fuel an MJB through the early part of the night!

But a proper control instead of Membury would be a massive boost.  I've always had a little kip and warmed up at Membury before finishing the job off in the morning, but that's fine if it's just one of you routechecking, but I am sure the services are not so happy about dozens of audaxers having a kip on the event?!?
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #42 on: 27 September, 2016, 05:03:48 pm »
Don't use the 'orrible hill, ncn42 is perfectly passable on the skinniest of tyres even at concrete pressures.
Also, Sultans cafe in bollock is recommended.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #43 on: 27 September, 2016, 05:08:18 pm »

;D ;D ;D ;D best typo in a while!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #44 on: 27 September, 2016, 06:13:48 pm »
Don't use the 'orrible hill, ncn42 is perfectly passable on the skinniest of tyres even at concrete pressures.
It was probably 5 years ago now, but - having done much tedious research to find the thing - I found the NCN to be a pain in the boll**ks. Of course even NCNs get occasionally resurfaced. Or so I hear.

(And anyway, why are you telling ME this and NOW - the 'orrible 'ill has been the official route on this event and The Dean for about a 1000 years. And you still have to do a climb on a full stomach! )

I shall look out for Sultans if I'm headed for the Bulwark Tesco Express, ta!  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Phil W

« Reply #45 on: 27 September, 2016, 07:27:18 pm »
  I've always had a little kip and warmed up at Membury before finishing the job off in the morning, but that's fine if it's just one of you routechecking, but I am sure the services are not so happy about dozens of audaxers having a kip on the event?!?

The area out the back of the garage by the toilet doors is heated at night. A few sleep there.

Phil W

« Reply #46 on: 27 September, 2016, 07:30:21 pm »
Bulwalk Chinese take away provided me with a fork and seat to eat indoors when I rode the event in 2013.

« Reply #47 on: 02 October, 2016, 08:55:10 am »
Rode and finished my first 300 this year and this one is looking seriously tempting. Just re-joined AUK after a few years out and it's on "My Calendar" now. As someone who generally does 10 and 25 mile TTs this distance is quite daunting!!

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #48 on: 02 October, 2016, 01:12:00 pm »
Is the intention to make the start later with the sleep control. Because a 9am finish would mean leaving Lambourn at 4am at the latest.  Continuing riding as it gets dark seems easier than getting up and starting in yhe dark.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #49 on: 02 October, 2016, 03:58:00 pm »
On a 400 I believe that most riders don't actually sleep.  The idea is that by having a control which isn't a service centre people can relax a bit more and those who want to catch 30 minutes shut-eye can do so without having a coachload of pensioners from Swansea milling around them!