Author Topic: [HAMR] Current thoughts on the record attempt?  (Read 260309 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Current thoughts on the record attempt?
« Reply #1150 on: 28 December, 2015, 10:04:20 pm »
ZZ, nobody seems to have been as quick afterwards as beforehand but all of the previous examples have been at least a lifetime ago.

It is interesting to me that the period between Tommy's record and Kurt's (almost certainly successful) attempt is much greater than the period between Tommy and the creation of the safety bicycle. It pretty much matches the period between Tommy and the actual invention of the bicycle. Talk about a long-standing record!
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #1151 on: 28 December, 2015, 10:10:26 pm »
i see it as something that Jens Voight might have done at the end of his career, already wealthy, big company backing in Trek, already has the social media side of things ticked, first to re-do the hour after they changed the rules, wasn't even a high mark, just the new mark, marketers dream

He's got 6 kids, the youngest being 4. I guess he wouldn't want to miss a year of them growing up.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1152 on: 29 December, 2015, 08:16:26 am »
All of the above is very interesting but seems to have drifted slightly from "current thoughts on the record attempt".  ;D

Steve appears to have done weeks of sub-200 mile days.

What is going on with his attempt???
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #1153 on: 29 December, 2015, 08:34:24 am »

i see it as something that Jens Voight might have done at the end of his career, already wealthy, big company backing in Trek, already has the social media side of things ticked, first to re-do the hour after they changed the rules, wasn't even a high mark, just the new mark, marketers dream

He's got 6 kids, the youngest being 4. I guess he wouldn't want to miss a year of them growing up.

Can the bike (recumbent vs upright) professionals doing THE record attempt discussion please fuck off to another thread?

Ta.

« Reply #1154 on: 29 December, 2015, 08:48:25 am »
All of the above is very interesting but seems to have drifted slightly from "current thoughts on the record attempt".  ;D

Steve appears to have done weeks of sub-200 mile days.

What is going on with his attempt???

my thoughts exactly, recent days alone 30 miles below a Godwin all builds up a significant deficit. Unfortunately looking at balance of evidence of the existing and current evidence of miles achieved (consistently) this puts record well beyond Steve achieving. Yes there has been moped incident, yes weeks difficult bad windy conditions but even building in allowance for these no indication that Steve has been able to turn out the Godwin daily mileage consistently.

Kurt will take the current record soon, he has been able achieve 210-22o miles day in day out out , OK better easier terrain and weather, by adapting his strategy, using group pacing and being flexible in his approach.

At end of day it`s all about miles achieved in a year within the rules; great kudos and credit to Steve for adapting what seems to be a purist approach but I see no evidence that this will deliver a HAMR record for him.
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1155 on: 29 December, 2015, 08:53:12 am »
It will deliver him the age-related record (40-50 or whatever the precise definition was) and that will probably stand for a very long time. After all, only 3 people in the history of cycling have ever cycled further in 365 days than Steve has this year. However, he always said it was an attempt at Godwin's record, and I have to agree that I think that is beyond him.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1156 on: 29 December, 2015, 08:58:00 am »
Well, firstly I am hoping that all is well with Steve.   

I'm also not going to speculate about the apparent lack of miles and comms but hope that Steve and/or the Team will put something out soon. 

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1157 on: 29 December, 2015, 08:59:26 am »
We all hope all is well with Steve. Lots of concerned friends on here.

« Reply #1158 on: 29 December, 2015, 09:02:45 am »
Hopefully so Wow.   And a few less so disposed I believe.

LMT

« Reply #1159 on: 29 December, 2015, 11:12:13 am »
Yesterdays ride has been posted - 41km, saying that Steve needed a long rest.

I'm presuming he's still resting now.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1160 on: 29 December, 2015, 12:19:20 pm »
We all hope all is well with Steve. Lots of concerned friends on here.

Indeed. I think the end is (or should be) near. It's been a magnificent effort, but surely it's time to recognise that the record is out of reach.

« Reply #1161 on: 29 December, 2015, 12:21:06 pm »
Steve's health first and foremost. Tomorrow is another day.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1162 on: 29 December, 2015, 12:31:20 pm »
three more days to go, i don't see the point of carrying on afterwards. look after yourself Steve.

red marley

« Reply #1163 on: 29 December, 2015, 12:33:21 pm »
Indeed. I think the end is (or should be) near. It's been a magnificent effort, but surely it's time to recognise that the record is out of reach.

I reluctantly agree. I think yesterday's 25 miles confirms things really, not just because of the 180 miles lost but because the reasons for the short day suggest he needs further time to recover from long-term fatigue. I hope he continues to the 31st December, perhaps with a little push at the end to consolidate his 2015 age-category record. But to continue into 2016 without a break and re-evaluation of strategy puts the attempt into Quixotic territory.

LMT

« Reply #1164 on: 29 December, 2015, 12:34:30 pm »
To paraphrase Eddie Futch to Joe Frazier:

"It's all over. No one will forget what you did here today",

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1165 on: 29 December, 2015, 12:40:59 pm »

I reluctantly agree. I think yesterday's 25 miles confirms things really, not just because of the 180 miles lost but because the reasons for the short day suggest he needs further time to recover from long-term fatigue. I hope he continues to the 31st December, perhaps with a little push at the end to consolidate his 2015 age-category record. But to continue into 2016 without a break and re-evaluation of strategy puts the attempt into Quixotic territory.

Steve will be better remembered for a gallant but unsuccessful attempt on the OYTT than he would be for just pushing on. And on, and on and on, getting ever further away from his target and diminishing the stature of what has been an incredible effort through outrageous difficulties. Stop on 31st, Steve. Come back in 2017 (or later) if you want to, but don't drag it out any longer. It's painful to watch - it must be far more painful to endure. 

« Reply #1166 on: 29 December, 2015, 12:44:40 pm »

Steve will be better remembered for a gallant but unsuccessful attempt on the OYTT than he would be for just pushing on. And on, and on and on, getting ever further away from his target and diminishing the stature of what has been an incredible effort through outrageous difficulties. Stop on 31st, Steve. Come back in 2017 (or later) if you want to, but don't drag it out any longer. It's painful to watch - it must be far more painful to endure.

+1 --- finish on  a high note ie a year completed and a fantastic attempt; to push on will be damaging all round I`d fear. Best wishes.
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #1167 on: 29 December, 2015, 12:52:43 pm »
Hope Steve sees this. Some wise and thoughtful words.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1168 on: 29 December, 2015, 12:54:17 pm »
Also, the knowledge that Kurt wouldn't have done it without Steve doing all the preparatory work with the UMCA. Whatever the future of The Year Record, the interest that has been rekindled is almost exclusively the work of Mr. S. Abraham.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #1169 on: 29 December, 2015, 01:19:52 pm »
Also, the knowledge that Kurt wouldn't have done it without Steve doing all the preparatory work with the UMCA. Whatever the future of The Year Record, the interest that has been rekindled is almost exclusively the work of Mr. S. Abraham.

+1
And also awaking so many more people, me included, to the legend that is Tommy Godwin and the other Year record hero's.

« Reply #1170 on: 29 December, 2015, 02:10:41 pm »
The description of Steve's effort thus far, from my perspective, is truly heroic.

However, after considerable thought, I shall be stopping my (small) regular DD into the fund, although I would happily continue it at a later date. I just feel no good can come of continuing the effort past the year at this stage.

Publicising here because if several of us do the same, it may help a wavering Steve to take some time to rest on his laurels, because he has earned them.

« Reply #1171 on: 29 December, 2015, 02:54:10 pm »
The description of Steve's effort thus far, from my perspective, is truly heroic.

Agreed.

Re funding, I am going to await developments and see what Steve's plan is. I suspect that the post-attempt transition might be a time when support, of all kinds, is most needed.

« Reply #1172 on: 29 December, 2015, 02:59:01 pm »

Agreed.

Re funding, I am going to await developments and see what Steve's plan is. I suspect that the post-attempt transition might be a time when support, of all kinds, is most needed.

Indeed, but allegedly there is a surplus of resources which should be used first to help with the post attempt transition. Also I would gladly support a collection if needed and called for by "Team Steve" (whoever the hell they are....); I'm just stating my opinion that the time has come to stop regular support.

« Reply #1173 on: 29 December, 2015, 03:03:25 pm »
Yes, some serious thought needs to be given to Steve transitioning from the record attempt even if w rematch with TG is pencilled in for say 2017.

« Reply #1174 on: 29 December, 2015, 04:06:47 pm »
Back in July I posted this:

Let's hope the weight of expectation (his own as well as others) isn't pushing Steve to attempt more than he is able to handle, mentally and physically.  I hope there someone in the team that Steve trusts that would be able to call a halt if (heaven forbid) things start looking risky?

It has been pretty clear that Steve has been on the limit for the whole year (minus the accident recovery period). He must be mentally and physically frazzled. Who is now making the decisions about what is possible, sensible and indeed safe?

I have to ask the same question again in the hope that someone - anyone - can answer this question for the the sake of Steve's wellbeing.  This is getting serious now - who on the team is advising Steve? 

I can't even begin to imagine how Steve is feeing at the moment, but the realisation that the record may be beyond his grasp this time could be devastating, so it's imperative that there is someone around that can steer him towards making the right decision and make sure there is proper psychological support.
The sound of one pannier flapping