Author Topic: [HAMR] Current thoughts on the record attempt?  (Read 260292 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Current thoughts on the record attempt?
« Reply #1200 on: 30 December, 2015, 10:50:46 am »
Wasn't Hoppo a SNCO in the Army? Then he should be able to prioritise his troops' welfare above all else. The task is always impossible if the troops are fucked.

was he anything to do with a BBC reality TV programme about RAAM with some noob who'd only ever done London-Brighton being signed up to the team (and dropped from after the ritual humiliation in front of the cameras)

ISTR it was an Army team

I remember the programme; I think the team was from the RAF and Hoppo was brought in as an Expert.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1201 on: 30 December, 2015, 10:52:23 am »
Yesterday on Strava: average 85, max 124. [EDIT: Kurt's Strava!]

124bpm is hardly high intensity training.

(I'd give you the numbers from February if my Strava-fu was up to it! )

A couple of days back - on FB - he [Kurt!] mentioned a group going past him a little too quick, so he didnt waste energy getting on their wheels.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Martin

« Reply #1202 on: 30 December, 2015, 10:55:29 am »
Wasn't Hoppo a SNCO in the Army? Then he should be able to prioritise his troops' welfare above all else. The task is always impossible if the troops are fucked.

was he anything to do with a BBC reality TV programme about RAAM with some noob who'd only ever done London-Brighton being signed up to the team (and dropped from after the ritual humiliation in front of the cameras)

ISTR it was an Army team

I remember the programme; I think the team was from the RAF and Hoppo was brought in as an Expert.

was he the nob shouting out of the car for the poor bloke to ride 5mph faster in some temperate place like Death Valley?

« Reply #1203 on: 30 December, 2015, 11:17:00 am »
... someone on the Timetrialling forum saying that

Well, we should take such theories seriously. Even more so if they are backed up by, say;
- The Daily Mail Motoring section,
- some bloke in the pub,
- my taxi driver, or
- a Youtube comment

Meow!
I fear you may have been scarred by your unhappy outing to the TT forum a couple of years ago but, amongst the usual detritus, in-jokes and tedious point-scoring, there are people on there who have quite a bit to contribute concerning the theory and practice of going as far / fast a possible from a given amount of effort on a bike. Lots of them have been cheering Steve on too.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1204 on: 30 December, 2015, 11:37:10 am »
Litte Rissington has a great big lump in the middle if I remember correctly, unless theyve changed it since i flew gliders and light aircraft there.

What about lyneham?

Or even somewhere like Rockingham, isn't that the oval circuit?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1205 on: 30 December, 2015, 12:01:53 pm »
I can't see Steve packing. if you've done long distance TTs you'll know that there's a hierarchy. The top contenders have a strict schedule, and when they're off it they stop. Everyone else has a cascade of subsidiary goals.

I'd start off with a goal of 400 miles, then 600km, then 15mph average, and so forth.

I don't buy into the binary Record/Failure idea, and I'm surprised that so many do. The moped incident has introduced a element of complication. Steve should have had an uninterrupted year, and we'd have seen what he could have done in his own style. I don't see anything wrong with Steve continuing to August at any pace he feels like doing.

The interest to me lies in seeing how someone can move forward from his current state. Most training manuals would see what he's been doing as a recipe for getting slower. Without a need to target the record, other training approaches can be tried. The HAMR clock has been paid for and it runs until August. I'd like to see Steve move to a more normal workload, and to target TT distances, culminating in the 24, via the Mille Pennines and the Wild Atlantic Way.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1206 on: 30 December, 2015, 12:02:27 pm »
Litte Rissington has a great big lump in the middle if I remember correctly, unless theyve changed it since i flew gliders and light aircraft there.

What about lyneham?

Or even somewhere like Rockingham, isn't that the oval circuit?

IIRC the BHPC looked at running an event at Little Rissington many moons ago but they wanted too much money and we could get Castle Combe or Kimbolton for a lot less.

Rockingham Speedway is sort-of oval, with seven degree banking, but it appears that most, if not all, of the various road circuits within its confines incorporate part of the speedway and will likely be much used by film crews, track days and corporate wankfests, all of which bring in Money.

« Reply #1207 on: 30 December, 2015, 12:04:42 pm »
The flat circuit idea is a good one.

But Steve would need access to it 24/7 for a year, which I reckon rules out any private facility.

There probably is a suitable public area in this country, but it might take some finding.

I've not been following Kurt closely, but it may be he has only recently found the woods circuit he's been using a lot in the last month or two.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #1208 on: 30 December, 2015, 12:04:59 pm »
My sincere hope is that Steve has not been reading this thread for the past week or so.

I wish him well in whatever he decides to do with his time and effort. When I signed up to support him at the outset of this attempt, it never occurred to me that I would question his methods, and I remain happy to place my faith in his ability and his self-knowledge. That faith will remain until he stops trying, and it is for no-one else but Steve to decide when that moment has arrived. At that point, when Steve decides to knock it on the head, irrespective of miles covered, I expect that my faith in his ability will transform into admiration for his achievement. However that achievement is measured, I feel sure that it will represent the man's best efforts, and that's good enough for me.

+1
Embrace your inner Fred.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #1209 on: 30 December, 2015, 12:11:59 pm »
My sincere hope is that Steve has not been reading this thread for the past week or so.

I wish him well in whatever he decides to do with his time and effort. When I signed up to support him at the outset of this attempt, it never occurred to me that I would question his methods, and I remain happy to place my faith in his ability and his self-knowledge. That faith will remain until he stops trying, and it is for no-one else but Steve to decide when that moment has arrived. At that point, when Steve decides to knock it on the head, irrespective of miles covered, I expect that my faith in his ability will transform into admiration for his achievement. However that achievement is measured, I feel sure that it will represent the man's best efforts, and that's good enough for me.

+1

+ another 1

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #1210 on: 30 December, 2015, 12:14:45 pm »
I can't see Steve packing. if you've done long distance TTs you'll know that there's a hierarchy. The top contenders have a strict schedule, and when they're off it they stop. Everyone else has a cascade of subsidiary goals.

I'd start off with a goal of 400 miles, then 600km, then 15mph average, and so forth.

I don't buy into the binary Record/Failure idea, and I'm surprised that so many do. The moped incident has introduced a element of complication. Steve should have had an uninterrupted year, and we'd have seen what he could have done in his own style. I don't see anything wrong with Steve continuing to August at any pace he feels like doing.

The interest to me lies in seeing how someone can move forward from his current state. Most training manuals would see what he's been doing as a recipe for getting slower. Without a need to target the record, other training approaches can be tried. The HAMR clock has been paid for and it runs until August. I'd like to see Steve move to a more normal workload, and to target TT distances, culminating in the 24, via the Mille Pennines and the Wild Atlantic Way.

I find a great deal to agree with here.   :)
Embrace your inner Fred.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1211 on: 30 December, 2015, 12:21:18 pm »
The flat circuit idea is a good one.

But Steve would need access to it 24/7 for a year, which I reckon rules out any private facility.

He might be able to blag the use of a car test track for the odd weekend - Lotus, BMW, Ford, Opel and DAF Trucks have lent their facilities for HPV record attempts in the past - but as you say getting the use of one for a significant period is a non-starter.

« Reply #1212 on: 30 December, 2015, 01:02:37 pm »
Regarding motor racing circuits; keep in mind they have service roads round the entire track which would be usable even when the circuit was in use. Might be impractical if the British GP's on though.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1213 on: 30 December, 2015, 01:16:39 pm »
Steve wouldn't need to use a circuit everyday, only when using a drafting group to extend his distance. That might be once or twice a week.

ESL, you are plain wrong. If Steve had said "I wanna piss about on a bike for a year or two. Gissa a bike an' sum dosh." then doing whatever he wants is absolutely fine. Saying to the world before he started that he was gunning for Tommy's record, then it is pass or fail. Due to a drunk, his first attempt failed. Bad luck, well done and commiserations, old chap.

Due to a combination of factors, many of which have been examined here, his second attempt is now toast. Currently Steve needs to average at least 220 miles every day for months and he has not been able to do so at any point in the past year. It has been two months since Steve averaged above 200 daily miles for a full week. He can and probably would improve through next year but cannot pull back all of his deficit to take the record.

Steve, rest, recover and consider your options to not just attempt the record (and fail) but to take the record. Anything else is a waste of your talent and determination.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #1214 on: 30 December, 2015, 01:17:17 pm »
Some speak about a rumour JaguarLandRover have made a bid to buy the Silverstone race circuit.
They ( Tata ) already own RAF Gaydon and RAF Honily.
JLR hosted a series of charity bike rides through their dealer network, and several lucky prize-drawer winners spent a day at Honily riding round with members of the Sky Team, riding F8 Pinnies.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1215 on: 30 December, 2015, 01:28:34 pm »
Some speak about a rumour JaguarLandRover have made a bid to buy the Silverstone race circuit.
JLR hosted a series of charity bike rides through their dealer network, and several lucky prize-drawer winners spent a day at Honily riding round with members of the Sky Team, riding F8 Pinnies.
Sounds a goer.   :thumbsup:

Have you been in touch with them yet, Ningy? harnessed your business and PR acumen? Worked your usual charm on them?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1216 on: 30 December, 2015, 01:37:49 pm »

With any luck, you'll have at least a year to persuade them to give up making money from their track(s) for a year so Steve & friends can bimble round at 15-18mph. Sounds like a plan...

Like LWaB, I also disagree with ESL's contention. Steve's self-imposed task was to take the Tommy Godwin record, under HAM'R rules. It was not to see how far he could get before he didn't feel like riding the bike any more. That was Miles's strategy and look where it got him. Steve cannot now take the record. Therefore he should stop - exactly how you suggested the top 24hr TT contenders do. Steve is a top contender, but he may not be thinking particularly cogently just now. He needs advice and encouragement to do the right thing - which is not carrying on until he breaks.

LMT

« Reply #1217 on: 30 December, 2015, 02:07:13 pm »
Yesterday on Strava: average 85, max 124.

124bpm is hardly high intensity training.

(I'd give you the numbers from February if my Strava-fu was up to it! )

A couple of days back - on FB - he mentioned a group going past him a little too quick, so he didnt waste energy getting on their wheels.

I would not like to say without a power meter, if Steve had one then for sure you could, with much more accruacy say what intensity he is putting out. And maybe he cold put ot a bit more without compromsing anything.

« Reply #1218 on: 30 December, 2015, 02:43:04 pm »
Steve's original HAMR/One Year Time Trial finishes at midnight on the 31st. The second one started in August.

Looking at Steve's performance throughout the year I'd say it is very unlikely that he'll beat Kurt's new mark. But having a pause now, or getting a job and putting in a few miles in the evening and at weekends is not an abandon. It's a pity that Iron-Ox came in for so much criticism, because at the end of the day the HAMR is just a disciplined form of Mile-Eater. Putting Steve in some sort of hamster-wheel has no appeal to me.

I'm fully expecting to see Steve at the 24, where he'll appear at 1 hour intervals at our roundabout at Espley. He'll be about 100 miles or so behind the winning distance. There'll be a discussion about whether he could have made the Godwin distance given a fair wind and lots of luck, followed by a discussion of who could do the distance, and why they'd never attempt it.

« Reply #1219 on: 30 December, 2015, 02:54:20 pm »
ESL - UMCA HAMR is AUK Mileater. The major difference is that the cost to enter is very low so folks join in with the AUK version. To rack up like Pat Kenney did 30,000 miles twice around the day job requires one hell of a lot of discipline. As does his total recorded distance which was s shade short of the million.

Chasing a record year the size that Tommy set was never going to be about having a nice time. It was always going to be about riding hard, suffering and doing what was necessary.

Whether Steve riding the hamster wheel has appeal or not to you is irrelevant. He says he wants the record - he has to do what necessary.

And for the records Steve if he trained is capable of a very good 24 hour and not one lagging 100 miles behind the first three.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1220 on: 30 December, 2015, 02:56:21 pm »
Steve has the ability to take the record but will have to tackle the hamster wheel to do so. Doing anything else is quixotic. Tintin, and to a lesser extent Miles, got grief because they said they were attempting the record but weren't riding enough to even get close.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #1221 on: 30 December, 2015, 03:12:32 pm »
Latest from fb shows no signs of quitting (personally I also think he should see the year out & ditch the 2nd attempt).

I've just cancelled my standing order but would gladly help out again if he had another attempt.  He does need to ditch the way he's doing it at the mo though & go light n fast as per Kurt.  Trudging around on a tourer carrying god knows how much kit is just ridiculous imo.

"This video shows the conditions Steve's facing this week! Not fun! But we also have another health update, which is somewhat more positive.

The good news is that the medical tests we did last week show significant improvements in all Steve's health parameters.

His initial tests - taken back in October and November - had shown serious organ stress from high levels of muscle breakdown and an overly sugar-based diet, which was hindering his post-ride recovery.

To cement this health progress the doctor has told Steve to take a number of forced-rest days, to fully get back to strength for the longer term (hence his full day-off on Monday and his lower miles for the rest of this week).

Steve will begin to build up his daily mileage again - gradually - from this weekend (in order to avoid reversing any health gains from the rest days).

We'll keep you posted as he progresses."
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #1222 on: 30 December, 2015, 03:24:24 pm »
ESL - UMCA HAMR is AUK Mileater. The major difference is that the cost to enter is very low so folks join in with the AUK version. To rack up like Pat Kenney did 30,000 miles twice around the day job requires one hell of a lot of discipline. As does his total recorded distance which was s shade short of the million.

Chasing a record year the size that Tommy set was never going to be about having a nice time. It was always going to be about riding hard, suffering and doing what was necessary.

Whether Steve riding the hamster wheel has appeal or not to you is irrelevant. He says he wants the record - he has to do what necessary.

And for the records Steve if he trained is capable of a very good 24 hour and not one lagging 100 miles behind the first three.

Steve's best 24s have been when you and LWAB helped him, so you'll know what that is. The record is 542 in 2011 in East Sussex, Steve was just under 407 on that occasion.
The approach should have changed after the restart, but everyone's eyes were on PBP.

Current thoughts on the record attempt?
« Reply #1223 on: 30 December, 2015, 03:24:53 pm »
Thanks Fungus. Question - why go on with the second attempt?  He's ill and the way the 'team' is approaching it he will never get better.  Doing less miles isn't rest.

Also, if his body can't cope with the workload why continue doing what's caused the problem?  Wouldn't stop record attempt and go away and do some proper structured training be the way forward?  Half the problem is that Steve didn't train for his record attempt.

From personal experience Drs, including consultants don't understand serious bike riding and are certainly not going to stop you riding. It doesn't enter their brain as most patients are normal sedentary folk. I'm lucky not to have a damaged heart from my ill health escapade.

« Reply #1224 on: 30 December, 2015, 03:37:32 pm »

I don't think it is likely Steve has fallen into that particular trap as, although he has done an immense amount of cycling, it has all been low intensity. In the early days of the attempt I recall someone on the Timetrialling forum saying that, at the heart rate levels he was operating, Steve would not be putting enough stress on his cardio system to maintain his fitness; he was effectively de-training. I've not followed that discussion but, if that is true, it may be that, after a year without stretching his cardio system, he might - paradoxically - have become unfit. 
I don't know but, whatever is the cause, something I clearly not right and blundering on looks likely to cause him physical and also mental harm.

I don't think that OTS is a result of intensity per se, as much as the cumulative affects of exertion without enough recovery. The distances involved for both Kurt and Steve are totally unprecedented for them. It's a bit like altitude sickness, you never know exactly how your body is going to react to something it's never faced before.