Author Topic: [HAMR] Current thoughts on the record attempt?  (Read 260357 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Current thoughts on the record attempt?
« Reply #1375 on: 31 December, 2015, 11:49:22 pm »
I reckon so.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1376 on: 31 December, 2015, 11:51:14 pm »
From latest Strava entry: -

"Last day of the first attempt at the Highest Annual Mileage Record. Didn't exactly go to plan. But still 8 months and a week of fun left at attempt 2."

That's your answer folks.

OK.  Now we know. 

Good luck Steve.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #1377 on: 31 December, 2015, 11:53:06 pm »
Just now on Facebook

One year done and 8 months and a week to go
This guy knows how I feel about that

Ozzy Osbourne I Don't Wanna To Stop HD
YOUTUBE.COM
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

« Reply #1378 on: 31 December, 2015, 11:55:36 pm »
And on Twitter:

"1 year done 8 months and a week to go #HAMR #HNY2016" along with an Ozzy Osbourne video.

Seems like Steve's doing all his own PR now.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1379 on: 01 January, 2016, 12:01:23 am »
Oh well. Happy New Year, Steve, and may it bring better luck than 2016.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1380 on: 01 January, 2016, 12:14:41 am »

Has Wowbagger got access to a TARDIS or is 2016 really that shit despite only being quarter of an hour old ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1381 on: 01 January, 2016, 12:19:56 am »

Has Wowbagger got access to a TARDIS or is 2016 really that shit despite only being quarter of an hour old ;D

2016 was so shit, we had an immediate restart.  It's now 2017.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1382 on: 01 January, 2016, 02:04:15 am »
Steve seems to be a month out in his figures.  Either a mis-type or wishful thinking?

Could someone post a messaage on FB letting Steve know he only has 7 months and a week (I don't do FB so can't)? Mind you, if he did have 8 months then he would still have a chance at the record...

« Reply #1383 on: 01 January, 2016, 02:56:16 am »
I pay directly into a Steve personal account. Team at one stage wanted several to have access to this account -- I wrote a personal letter to Steve advising strongly against this. i have no knowledge whether he took this advice or not. At one stage I was convinced that I had a responsibility to donors which meant that I could not resign  .... but in the end I decided that as you were all donating to Steve - provided I ensured that the funds got to him -- then I had no responsibility for what he did with them -- so then I felt able to step away.

So basically you are saying there is no way to be sure that donations are going to support TG and not to his team leader? This is concerning for those of us who donate money. It sounds like a lot of cash. Is no one auditing this to make sure the funds are being spent by Steve for his needs and not by others? I doubt TG has time to comb through his account statements. I can't think of any charity that does not have an independent auditor. That the team leader wanted the finance manager gone really worries me.

« Reply #1384 on: 01 January, 2016, 07:44:15 am »
And on Twitter:

"1 year done 8 months and a week to go #HAMR #HNY2016" along with an Ozzy Osbourne video.

Seems like Steve's doing all his own PR now.

Well the self publicity machine seems a lot more frank and open than the previous set up, even if the dates are out. (After riding 63,000+ my brain might be addled too).

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #1385 on: 01 January, 2016, 08:18:48 am »
Well, there you go.

You've always shown more self-control than me.

Well, you know me, I wouldn't want to go and upset anybody.

« Reply #1386 on: 01 January, 2016, 09:00:00 am »
I have to say I'm not surprised by anything FB has said

Neither am I, not even the snide insinuations of impropriety.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1387 on: 01 January, 2016, 09:08:26 am »
There was no contract drawn-up by sponsors/donors. Nobody made demands a year ago.

I have no idea whether contracts were drawn up for sponsors. Do you have any insider knowledge on this?

Sorry, i phrased that very badly!

I meant there is no contract for the "public" donors e.g. if you or I donate when entering an AUK event.

( I for one have seen no contract for the commercial sponsors, or even AUK. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1388 on: 01 January, 2016, 09:12:39 am »
Arry.

Let's say Steve wants to get 64,000
He's currently on 27,000 or thereabouts for the concurrent attempt
He has 219 days to go.

So (64,000 - 27,000)/219 = 169 miles a day.  Or thereabouts. 

This can be refined with more accurate distances, but it gives a sense that he is currently achieving daily distances around the mark he needs to slightly exceed that total.

With only needing to average around 170 per day to beat his first record for his age group he should beat that ok. Because of his extremely tired mind and body he probably cannot get his head around numbers but as I suspected he is continuing, perhaps still in the believe he will somehow recover his lost miles and go on to beat Kurt's record.  We all know that's a NO NO but don't think he does.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1389 on: 01 January, 2016, 09:16:59 am »
Current thoughts on the "Current Thoughts on the record attempt" thread:

I think it's time to break-off some of these issues into another thread. This one has been an unpleasant place for way too long. There are varoious reasons but two main ones:
- there is too much noise (if someone posts some number-crunching say, any discussion is interrupted by a dozen posts about panniers or Gibbons!).
- incompatible agendas. Its pretty obvious that some of us just arent going to agree on a numbert of things, yet we keep posting our thoughts on those things. And then we argue about them. Again. And again ...

So I think I shall create a
2016 Puppies Rainbows and Unicorns thread
- if you see yourself more aligned to mattc-type posts, join in;
- if you want to post about how crap the team is, or how impossible the current task is (which are perfectly valid forum topics!), keep it here.

How does that sound???
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1390 on: 01 January, 2016, 09:21:32 am »
I don't like the flavour of many posts here, too, but I am concerned that by focussing on Puppies Rainbows and Unicorns you are ignoring kittens. That is simply not right and I have the statistics to prove it. 98% of user days on the Internet involve kittens at some point.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1391 on: 01 January, 2016, 09:23:37 am »
Ian, nobody doubts your integrity or that of Steve's other active support crew.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #1392 on: 01 January, 2016, 09:36:59 am »

I think it's time to break-off some of these issues into another thread. This one has been an unpleasant place for way too long. There are various reasons but two main ones:
- there is too much noise (if someone posts some number-crunching say, any discussion is interrupted by a dozen posts about panniers or Gibbons!).
- incompatible agendas. Its pretty obvious that some of us just aren't going to agree on a number of things, yet we keep posting our thoughts on those things. And then we argue about them. Again. And again ...

So I think I shall create a
2016 Puppies Rainbows and Unicorns thread
- if you see yourself more aligned to mattc-type posts, join in;
- if you want to post about how crap the team is, or how impossible the current task is (which are perfectly valid forum topics!), keep it here.

How does that sound???

That sounds like you wanting to create a space where you can dominate the discussion.  If there has been a single source of nastiness in this thread then it has been from your posts.  If anyone disagrees with your viewpoint, your first reaction is to respond with sarcastic and aggressive posts (yes - even including the dreaded capitalisation in large font).

Maybe you have to live with the fact that not everyone will agree with your viewpoint.  You don't have a monopoly on the truth any more than anyone else here.  To set up a thread where you dictate the agenda is just another example of an arrogance we can do without - although others may disagree.

Anyway, all this is distracting from the fact that Steve has had a remarkable year.  Truly a roller-coaster and an amazing achievement.

The sound of one pannier flapping

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1393 on: 01 January, 2016, 09:41:42 am »
That sounds like you wanting to create a space where you can dominate the discussion.  If there has been a single source of nastiness in this thread then it has been from your posts.
thanks for that. I dont agree with it, but that's life!

Maybe you have to live with the fact that not everyone will agree with your viewpoint.
I am well aware of this fact. I tried to make that clear in my post - obviously not clear enough for you. Hey ho ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Ben T

« Reply #1394 on: 01 January, 2016, 09:57:49 am »
Sounds like to me if and when he does stop to rest and recuperate, part of that will obviously involve sacking the team and getting a new one. So it's not in any of the current team's best interests for him to stop because for them it will be terminal, even if not for Steve himself.
From their perspective, they have a very very slight chance of getting the record, compared to absolutely zero chance of ever getting it if he stops.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #1395 on: 01 January, 2016, 09:58:56 am »
Who is looking after Steve's well being? You know the stuff apart from the cycling, feeding and schedule?

All the isolation involved must be mentally hard and having a 10 minute chat at night and asking for a Big Mac is not enough human contact.

Also are we now watching someone without an objective? Maybe Steve is just happy riding around all day and that is the objective? God knows there are times when I have thought I would like someone to pay the bills so I could ride every day.

I have always supported Steve and now feel he needs friendship. If it was a boxing match a good trainer would have thrown the towel in. Time to bask in the glory of what you have achieved, regroup and refocus what ever this involves.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1396 on: 01 January, 2016, 10:04:26 am »
Ben, you are very wide of the mark and that post does you no credit. The team's motivations for continuing to support Steve have nothing to do with being 'out of a job'. All are volunteers and, particularly for the MK support, their roles have hugely impacted on the rest of their lives.

Ben T

« Reply #1397 on: 01 January, 2016, 10:06:21 am »
Not about money though is it. I would assume they've all got day jobs anyway and recognise that they are volunteers. I'm speculating on the potential motivations rather than trying to cast negative aspersions. But sorry if I'm wrong.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #1398 on: 01 January, 2016, 10:20:55 am »
For some folk, it is all about "Never quit, regardless!"

I strongly disagree with that approach for Steve's record attempt but it could be considered an 'honourable' attitude.

Ben T

« Reply #1399 on: 01 January, 2016, 10:36:04 am »
For some folk, it is all about "Never quit, regardless!"

I strongly disagree with that approach for Steve's record attempt but it could be considered an 'honourable' attitude.

Hmm, not so much saying it's dishonorable but more that there seems no exit strategy, they just possibly haven't considered the wisdom or even possibility of a team other than them.
Like football managers - they don't resign do they, they are always sacked, but that doesn't mean they wish their team ill will.