Author Topic: What a waste of a good bike..  (Read 15726 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: What a waste of a good bike..
« Reply #25 on: 20 October, 2013, 12:08:21 pm »
I was at our local tip a few weeks ago and was told that the staff weren't allowed into the bins because of the elf's, who also recently fitted CCTV for their safety. So they couldn't even go in there to repack/re-stack the waste when say a big pine table - that would have suited our kitchen to a tee - was taking up too much room in the bin. He said that they get hassled by the elfs when they climb into the paper/cardboard bins trying to make room for the weekend busy time.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #26 on: 20 October, 2013, 02:59:23 pm »
An old Dawes Countryman could be suitable for a hub gear conversion, with its semi-horizontal dropouts. Stick a pair of sturdy road tyres on it, & you have an excellent urban commuter of the pothole-scorning kind, or a bike suitable for badly maintained country lanes in or after filthy weather.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #27 on: 08 January, 2014, 06:31:46 pm »
Similar sort of thing appeared on my 'local bikes' auto search on eBay today.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dawes-Nomad-gents-mountain-bike-/331101502557?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:3160

« Reply #28 on: 09 January, 2014, 11:50:52 am »
I bought myself a Dawes Wildcat back in 1987 and rode it to Switzerland, laden with tent and stuff for two weeks.  Fab bike, sorry to have parted with it.  But I do now have a roadified 1989 Rockhopper Comp with mudguards and lovely biopace chainrings.

« Reply #29 on: 09 January, 2014, 02:31:41 pm »
I was at our local tip a few weeks ago and was told that the staff weren't allowed into the bins because of the elf's, who also recently fitted CCTV for their safety. So they couldn't even go in there to repack/re-stack the waste when say a big pine table - that would have suited our kitchen to a tee - was taking up too much room in the bin. He said that they get hassled by the elfs when they climb into the paper/cardboard bins trying to make room for the weekend busy time.

It's not always to do with safety either,

While taking some things to the tip with my girlfriend she noticed that one of the operators had stacked a pile of things by their shed, she took a fancy to one of the jugs there and offered the chap a few quid, his response was "sorry but someone has a contract to collect that stuff". The week before a different chap took the cash and handed over the goods.

Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #30 on: 09 July, 2014, 03:24:08 pm »
Assuming that is the Horsley tip, that's been going on for 20 years to my knowledge.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #31 on: 09 July, 2014, 03:31:13 pm »

IIRC all North Yorks Household Waste Recycling sites now have the same rule.

Apart from they, also, have a rule that says the wagon drivers can bung them a few quid for pre-arranged items, hence why you will see a pile of bikes in one corner of every NYCC dump (I found this out via a couple of conversations I had, one with one of those wagon drivers who claimed to have 5 garages full of bikes of all shapes and sizes!)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State