Author Topic: [HAMR] Another go .. TG??  (Read 175948 times)

Re: Another go .. TG??
« Reply #875 on: 23 February, 2018, 02:05:32 pm »
Indeed, but it's not such a flat area to the west. Of course he can go back to his loop ride (which is about 15 miles North of where I live) but the cold and stiff breeze - which perceptively feels stronger than forecast - will still be unpleasant.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

whosatthewheel

« Reply #876 on: 24 February, 2018, 10:38:21 am »
Given there is no record to go for and no other past rider to overtake, I really don't see the point of this challenge any more. 71,500 or 73,000 what difference does it make? It's just a number. With a week of sub zero temperature ahead, is it worth it?

Looking at his recent rides, the loss of pace is staggering and suggesting something is going on. Steve keeps blaming injuries, but I would call it chronic fatigue.
He should be able to average 16 mph with ease, but he barely manages 13. It's just not right... at no point I have ever been so slow on flattish terrain and if I was, I would probably stop immediately, before any damage becomes chronic or worse permanent. He probably badly needs a long period of rest and maybe to see his GP, the sooner the better

« Reply #877 on: 24 February, 2018, 11:57:12 am »
Yes, but aren't many (most?) of us enthused/driven by entirely arbitrary targets, with records being interesting, though far out of reach?

« Reply #878 on: 24 February, 2018, 12:01:09 pm »
Given the forecast weather, it's probably just as well the record(s) is/are beyond reach.  It would have been tortuous to see Steve battling to make 200+ mile days in these conditions.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #879 on: 24 February, 2018, 12:05:44 pm »
Yes, but aren't many (most?) of us enthused/driven by entirely arbitrary targets, with records being interesting, though far out of reach?

People have always enjoyed sports vicariously and there is nothing much wrong with that.  Watching somebody drive themselves into the ground and possibly worse is of a different order.  And I personally don't think the argument that someone is doing what they want is necessarily sufficient grounds for encouragement.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #880 on: 24 February, 2018, 12:05:58 pm »

True, but if I have to risk a collar bone cycling on ice to get the 12th month in of an RRTY attempt that is missing a month anyway and it won't be validated, I won't probably bother, would you?
It's where you place the line of sanity...
IMO TG is hurting himself and at this point without a good reason

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #881 on: 24 February, 2018, 12:31:57 pm »
- Digging in for 10 days to cap 3 years of dedication, bad luck and sheer determination, chasing a childhood dream, with 100s of friends willing him on;

vs

- Riding 200k to finish a RRTY.

Rather different situations, I'd say ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

whosatthewheel

« Reply #882 on: 24 February, 2018, 12:36:42 pm »
- Digging in for 10 days to cap 3 years of dedication, bad luck and sheer determination, chasing a childhood dream, with 100s of friends willing him on;

vs

- Riding 200k to finish a RRTY.

Rather different situations, I'd say ...

Yes,

however the parallel was not about the magnitude of the achievement but about putting a lot of effort and taking a lot of risks for a very small (if any) reward.

Can you honestly say that riding 72,000 or 73,000 is going to make any difference at this stage?

Anyway, not my call...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #883 on: 24 February, 2018, 12:52:50 pm »
Can you honestly say that riding 72,000 or 73,000 is going to make any difference at this stage?
That's how record attempts work, every mile/metre/second counts. Did anyone urge Amanda to stop on the day she beat the Searvogel total?

Steve's not going to break "the" record, but this is his one shot at setting a  respectable/representative PB. Talk to anyone that competes at a decent level - they want their PB to be as good as possible.

Closest relevant example is probably the 24h champs - quite often the winner could climb off with 30mins to go. But they never do - by choice, anyway!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

whosatthewheel

« Reply #884 on: 24 February, 2018, 01:01:36 pm »

Closest relevant example is probably the 24h champs - quite often the winner could climb off with 30mins to go. But they never do - by choice, anyway!

Would they if they realised there is something wrong with their body? Should they?
As per above, if my average speed dropped by 3 mph, with everything else being equal, I would probably begin to worry... currently he cycles at the same speed as someone 30 years older than he is... it can't be right

« Reply #885 on: 24 February, 2018, 03:12:20 pm »
I believe he made a decision to take it easy for the last couple of weeks. I hope that’s not what you’re using to make a medical diagnosis.

« Reply #886 on: 24 February, 2018, 04:45:55 pm »
Steve’s own comments on Strava suggest he expected to be faster and has no explanation as to why he is not.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

whosatthewheel

« Reply #887 on: 24 February, 2018, 04:59:56 pm »
Steve’s own comments on Strava suggest he expected to be faster and has no explanation as to why he is not.

This.

My impression is that he wanted to lower the mileage, not the pace

« Reply #888 on: 24 February, 2018, 06:27:41 pm »
He looked well in his comfort zone when I said hello to him earlier today near Chinnor.  I was driving along a straight section of the B4009 towards Chinnor and saw a cyclist far in the distance...I said to my wife I reckoned it was Steve, and sure enough, it was :thumbsup: He was cruising along nicely in the sunshine, although I reckon he’s aiming to get back to MK before the roads get icy this evening.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #889 on: 24 February, 2018, 08:50:48 pm »
I imagine that the body will react much in the same way as someone finishing a punishing schedule at work and then winding down for a holiday. It won't get faster it'll get slower and perhaps pick up whatever bugs are about. Physically and mentally it must be hard for Steve to ride towards the end of the year.
He's had such bad luck with the accidents but as others have already said he has achieved so much since he set out on the first attempt.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #890 on: 24 February, 2018, 09:22:09 pm »
If you look at the year on Strava there has been a long slow decline in mileage. It looks very much like Steve has just got tierd. Not surprising really.

Steve

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #891 on: 24 February, 2018, 11:33:40 pm »
His achievements are huge. Most miles by anyone over a 3 year period; his efforts have lead others to beat Godwin's record, even though Steve himself didn't do so. 4th (I think) highest annual mileage and 2nd British annual mileage.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #892 on: 25 February, 2018, 10:38:42 am »
7 days to go, 71,904 miles done.

Hypothetical final totals:

Last 7 days = 1,068 miles => 72,927 miles

Best 7 days this attempt = 1,670 miles => 73,574 miles
Best 7 days in 2018 = 1,506 miles => 73,410 miles
Worst 7 days this attempt = 918 miles => 72,822 miles
Worst 7 days this attempt where he rode every day = 980 miles => 72,884 miles

whosatthewheel

« Reply #893 on: 25 February, 2018, 01:35:14 pm »

With an amber warning for snow, I would like to hope he just stays home instead...

« Reply #894 on: 25 February, 2018, 01:54:08 pm »
He'll make 72000+ miles. In one year.

Whatever Steve ends at for me that's an incredible result.

« Reply #895 on: 25 February, 2018, 05:18:42 pm »

With an amber warning for snow, I would like to hope he just stays home instead...
I bet you are a real wow at parties.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #896 on: 25 February, 2018, 08:46:51 pm »
Also, he's unlikely to just stop when he does stop.

Going from that level of exercise a day to nothing would not be good for his health. He'll need to wind down gradually for a period once the years are up. (I don't think this will be hard for him, I don't think he can imagine riding less then a few thousand miles per month just for pleasure.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #897 on: 26 February, 2018, 07:04:24 am »
Also, he's unlikely to just stop when he does stop.

Going from that level of exercise a day to nothing would not be good for his health. He'll need to wind down gradually for a period once the years are up. (I don't think this will be hard for him, I don't think he can imagine riding less then a few thousand miles per month just for pleasure.)
I think Steve will find some cycling activities to fill his spare time. It is the time that is not spare that concerns me. Most of us have jobs or other activities to fill the day and cycling is a welcome distraction.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

orraloon

• I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard
« Reply #898 on: 26 February, 2018, 08:25:50 am »
Wasn't there a post somewhere by Steve saying he wanted to join Idai in a LEJOGLE record attempt in the summer using a Morpheus tandem?

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #899 on: 26 February, 2018, 12:54:47 pm »
Wasn't there a post somewhere by Steve saying he wanted to join Idai in a LEJOGLE record attempt in the summer using a Morpheus tandem?

Well that is about 10 days accounted for .....