Linked Events

• York Rally: 23 June, 2023 - 26 June, 2023

Author Topic: York Rally 23-25 June 2023  (Read 16220 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: York Rally 23-25 June 2023
« Reply #100 on: 25 June, 2023, 12:28:35 am »
The new tent has been christened by its first earwig...

« Reply #101 on: 25 June, 2023, 07:22:34 am »
This is a YACF public information warning.  The first block of showers only has cold water. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #102 on: 25 June, 2023, 07:26:50 am »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #103 on: 25 June, 2023, 09:18:55 am »
This is a YACF public information warning.  The first block of showers only has cold water.
Perhaps some sort of mixing could be arranged with the rather hot water in the second block.  :D
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

« Reply #104 on: 25 June, 2023, 03:22:56 pm »

On my way! That sounds idyllic. It’s still too hot.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #105 on: 25 June, 2023, 10:08:23 pm »
Can confirm that the showers are hot again.

« Reply #106 on: 26 June, 2023, 09:51:49 am »
Very much enjoyed seeing all the yacfers again and the new ones I met for the first time. I can now put a face to their forum names.

Sorry for disappearing quickly on Sunday afternoon but with impending storm and my friend Graham not looking too well (he had had a major operation a few days ago) we decided to decamp and head home.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #107 on: 27 June, 2023, 10:14:31 am »
York Rally was excellent, really enjoyed my trip. Nice meeting/seeing you all.

« Reply #108 on: 27 June, 2023, 01:11:36 pm »
Great seeing many of you in person, & chatting even though it was generally somewhere near the toilet block but think I spent most of my weekend running around the site or in hq dealing with queries & questions, I will pass on the positive feedback to the rest of the committee, please feel free to let me have any feedback good or bad, & any suggestions of how we can change or improve things we cannot guarantee anything but we can try. We are trying our best to book good weather again for next year

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #109 on: 27 June, 2023, 01:26:49 pm »
You do start wondering if "Toilet block meet & greet" should be a programmed item...

I really enjoyed it this year, possibly helped by not having any rushing-about[1] commitments to worry about (I even managed to wander round the trade show).  It's a shame that barakta was in no state for a ride on Sunday.

[1] ©2018 Butterfly

mr ben

« Reply #110 on: 27 June, 2023, 01:35:25 pm »
I’ve been around here (and its predecessor) on and off for quite a few years, mostly skulking, but I think I met more forumites over this weekend than in all that time. It was excellent to see those that I did, and sorry to those I missed (and my brain is still matching forum names to actual people - mine’s not too difficult ;)).

It was my first visit to the rally and I had a splendid time.  50 km ride over from Leeds (on a sub-optimal bike) was the furthest of the year for me, so that was a win to start with.  I took the train back to avoid a repeat of the unpleasant dual carriageway experience on the way over, and also because I lost the strap holding my rear luggage on and had to make do with the belt from my shorts (fortunately for any spectators not the ones I was wearing at the time).

Such a great array (peloton?) of weird and wonderful cycles and people!

Thanks to the crinkly one for accommodating us for a few hours which happened to coincide with a storm. :thumbsup:

« Reply #111 on: 27 June, 2023, 04:59:42 pm »
I really enjoyed the weekend . It was great to meet old & new friends . A big thank you too the organisers & volunteers .  I  have sold the blue trike . But fear not the Spontaneous beer induced " try a trike" ride around the field . Will return with a smaller frame   ;D   
Its More Fun With Three .

« Reply #112 on: 27 June, 2023, 07:50:11 pm »
Great to see old friends and new, thanks for all the help I have been given and special thanks to the hard working organisers and helpers who make this event so special 😀
the slower you go the more you see

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #113 on: 28 June, 2023, 07:39:26 am »
Enjoyed the rally again, and meeting up with new and familiar faces. Big thanks to Rachel and all the other crew  :thumbsup:
A bit warm at times, the factor 50 came out often.
 My elderly and patched Exustars disintegrated on site, leading to a display of my new toenail colour but the good guys at Spa Cycles fetched a new pair for me on the Sunday. These are in a splendid blue colour and were comfy enough to forget about for the rest of the weekend and 6 hour ride home.
See you all again soon I hope, my time should be more my own from this year on.

« Reply #114 on: 29 June, 2023, 08:33:06 pm »
Nice to see old friends as ever. Was too hot for me and I actually felt quite unwell at times. Not sure if it was heat exhaustion, WHY, or a case of old fogey. I was not the best or most affable company. Very little alcohol was consumed (and not much food come to that). Strange thing was feeling cold and shivery on saturday night in the tent, although the temp was 20 deg C. I actually put another layer on. The four showers being out was a right PIA. Now rethinking camping and associated kit when travelling by car.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #115 on: 30 June, 2023, 06:59:44 pm »
It's hard to believe it was very nearly a week ago already.  Time flies by when you're having fun you're the driver of a train you pile right back into the day job of spreadsheets and contracts.

I wasn't sure, actually, that I was really going to enjoy the rally, because of various factors, but I was lucky with getting my choice of dangly bike space on the train out of Waverley.  The Dundee Contingent clearly had other plans and didn't bother to turn up, though the train nearly didn't turn up either which left me with a frantic couple of minutes for hoisting things aloft and wrangling panniers.

No sooner had I arrived at the epicentre of the action at the Knavesmire (the beer tent) than I was engaged in conversation with Geoff and Fiona and Claire from the BHPC, which led to an even longer conversation with Chris Parker from ICE Trikes, in which my arms and neck slowly burned because I hadn't brought my factor 30.  I had splurged last summer on a big floppy hat though and was glad for it.  Toilet block meet and greet ensued with Kim and barakta and someone I didn't know.  I found myself camped next to the world's most quietly spoken yet talkative man, and the world's sweariest lady, who was totally out of her depth at the rally having been somewhat dragged there by a friend.  That evening was spent in pursuit of pizza, at which I failed because the shop wasn't there anymore; as backup, I decided to get fish and chips, but I failed at that too because they'd run out of fish.  Rode back to the rally and promptly met LeeW and MrLeeW who were heading out to Naburn on a DIY not-Velovision ride - and I had a pannierful of sausage and chips to eat...  As is tradition when camping, I slept incredibly badly.

I spent Sunday morning in yet another long conversation with Sweary Lady, then noting the impending weather forecast, decided I ought to do a bike ride.  Skilfully again avoiding conversation with the Welsh Guy with the Extremely Wiry Grey Hair, I rode out to Naburn for my obligatory photo, and Saturn for my other obligatory photo, then figured I may as well ride to at least Pluto.  Once back I spent a few minutes checking out the trade tents and then returned to the beer tent to meet my friend Amanda and her partner, whereupon BCCletts turned up on a flying visit, regaling us immediately with stories of train timetables, broken forks, gigantic thorns through tyres, and variously similar bicycle decrepitude.  My friend went home and then the tent suddenly got very busy because it thundered, and 23.7 million tonnes of water was too much for the tent roof which promptly leaked onto my shorts, while Kim studiously monitored the rain gauge outside.  After some playful humour (I think, I couldn't quite tell) with Darren and Sweary Lady who was apparently now enjoying herself, I was suddenly completely out of spoons and ran away to my tent to hide and have tea.  Talkative Man thought that was a splendid time to engage me in conversation, which at least was about bicycle touring.  I still slept really badly though.

For Monday after goodbyes with Kim and cycleman I had a nice random ride around York and found a lovely bakery where I got supplies for lunch on the train, then got lost six times before I remembered which road went to the station.  And magically, I had my choice of dangly bike spaces again!  I managed as far as about Newcastle and then slept until Berwick.  My brush with The Plague still hangs over me, after a couple of months, and I was completely done in by the time I'd cycled home up the many hills.  Next time, and there may be a next time, I'm actually tempted to forgo bicycle for motorbike.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #116 on: 05 July, 2023, 12:22:30 pm »
So, I wasn't there, Maybe next year.

n00b question - bike security.

Do I need to lug a proper lock down with me? I just don't want to.
At the weekend I met someone whose Brompton and his wife's Thorn were both stolen from the Rally. The Thorn was recovered, found dumped in some bushes, the Brompton was not. He'd had it 24 years.  >:(
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #117 on: 05 July, 2023, 12:31:33 pm »
So, I wasn't there, Maybe next year.

n00b question - bike security.

Do I need to lug a proper lock down with me? I just don't want to.
At the weekend I met someone whose Brompton and his wife's Thorn were both stolen from the Rally. The Thorn was recovered, found dumped in some bushes, the Brompton was not. He'd had it 24 years.  >:(

Sad and a mixture of anger and disappointment for the organisers as well.  Despite 24 hour security it is a very big site with plenty of access points, we think the toe rags had a look and came back in the early hours with a bolt cutter, which made short work of the cable lock securing those two bikes once they had made sure nobody was nearby.  Unusual yellow Brompton with a customised setup including a double chainset but seems unlikely  that it will be recovered, they are very saleable.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #118 on: 05 July, 2023, 12:35:13 pm »
From memory there were a couple riding through the site on mopeds which I thought most odd at the time. Possibly reccying the place?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #119 on: 06 July, 2023, 10:12:47 am »
At 2.00am on Sunday I walked down to the toilet block and didn't see any security patrol.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

mr ben

« Reply #120 on: 08 August, 2023, 01:21:41 pm »
Randomly-timed response follows ::-)...

No sooner had I arrived at the epicentre of the action at the Knavesmire (the beer tent) than I was engaged in conversation with Geoff and Fiona and Claire from the BHPC, which led to an even longer conversation with Chris Parker from ICE Trikes, in which my arms and neck slowly burned because I hadn't brought my factor 30.  I had splurged last summer on a big floppy hat though and was glad for it.  Toilet block meet and greet ensued with Kim and barakta and someone I didn't know.

Hello! I was the someone you didn't know :thumbsup:

I *always* get lost when cycling in the centre of York.

Very sorry to hear about the theft.  Such a big site and open to the public, security must be a nightmare.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #121 on: 13 October, 2023, 10:01:16 am »
I think I know the answer to this but: did anyone do an audax Summer Arrow or Dart to the Rally this year? Just checking for Awards purposes. iddu organised it in previous years and thinks not, but just in case anyone knows better.
Thank you
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa