Author Topic: Cycle touring suggestions from Belfast  (Read 1424 times)

Cycle touring suggestions from Belfast
« on: 04 June, 2023, 02:48:09 pm »
Just back from an excellent short cycle tour in the Netherlands. Now planning another week long tour for June/July next year and fancy getting the ferry to Belfast and exploring some new roads. Any suggestions of routes, things to see and places to stay would be much appreciated. Cheers in advance
Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Cycle touring suggestions from Belfast
« Reply #1 on: 04 June, 2023, 03:34:37 pm »
Just back from an excellent short cycle tour in the Netherlands. Now planning another week long tour for June/July next year and fancy getting the ferry to Belfast and exploring some new roads. Any suggestions of routes, things to see and places to stay would be much appreciated. Cheers in advance

If you can get to it. Dingle peninsula.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Cycle touring suggestions from Belfast
« Reply #2 on: 04 June, 2023, 03:43:13 pm »
The Causeway Coast route is really lovely. Very lumpy in places. Very lumpy indeed.

https://outsider.ie/ireland/causeway-coastal-route-cycling/
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3 on: 04 June, 2023, 05:19:49 pm »
I used to go for rides round the Ards in the 60's.  Very pleasant.

ETA: on a good day, of course.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #4 on: 04 June, 2023, 08:36:13 pm »
Malin Head (of the "and finally" for shipping forecasts devotees) - went there many years ago and thought it was very beautiful and rugged scenery. If you don't want to visit Derry/Londonderry (although we thought it was worth doing) you can take a ferry across Lough Foyle to reach the area. When we visited many, many years ago the ferry had just started up and was extremely busy with cars from NI going to the Republic to buy petrol!  You can take your bike over to Rathlin Island in summer if seabord watching is your thing - I remember them being very impressive.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #5 on: 05 June, 2023, 01:22:42 pm »
Fermanagh is an ideal centre for exploring Southwest Ulster. There are plenty of lovely roads and less well-known places both here and in the South Sperrins, as well as just across the border in Cavan, Leitrim, South Donegal and Sligo. I'm on Warmshowers and would be happy to host you if you decide to head this way.
Jennifer - Walker of hills