Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 428493 times)

Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #850 on: 22 May, 2018, 07:48:02 pm »
None of the usual combinations of birthdays or phone numbers work. Of course it’s something so simple & unforgettable I’ve not written it down  :facepalm:

Ah !  Thats what it was !  :thumbsup:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #851 on: 26 May, 2018, 09:28:38 pm »
Bugger! The rubber O ring from the Trangia cap was stuck to the burner. I didn’t notice & when I lit the stove it melted & blocked the burner holes.
I see some scraping & unblocking in my future

New O rings ordered.  £1.50 for 2 from https://fettlebox.co.uk/   

I seem to have got it wrong & ordered 8.......    :facepalm:     Oh well,   should last me a while.....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #852 on: 26 May, 2018, 09:33:12 pm »
Hide a spare one in your touring kit now before you forget!

« Reply #853 on: 26 May, 2018, 09:42:30 pm »
Where does a chap hide a spare O ring ......... ?

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #854 on: 26 May, 2018, 09:48:37 pm »
Where does a chap hide a spare O ring ......... ?

Answers, please, on a post-card.  Post to A&E Department, The Royal Liverpool University Hospital.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #855 on: 26 May, 2018, 10:06:02 pm »
Like the amphetamineszip ties, inside the handlebar . . . ?
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #856 on: 26 May, 2018, 10:18:37 pm »
Rubber rings & zip ties..... it'll be duct tape next   :jurek:

« Reply #857 on: 28 May, 2018, 08:44:03 pm »
And without even looking I found my spare...  in a kitchen drawer.

« Reply #858 on: 31 May, 2018, 09:00:08 am »
I seem to be making a lot of entries in this thread ...

When I was in France 2 weeks ago I phoned home to make an appointment with my GP & booked it into my phones calendar.  I just turned up for the appointment an hour early, the phone recorded it as CEST for some reason.  Luckily he was amused & saw me straight away.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #859 on: 31 May, 2018, 09:06:52 am »
At a guess, the phone was taking its time from the local network. Funny, I'd expect them to use UTC.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

fuzzy

« Reply #860 on: 31 May, 2018, 12:11:16 pm »
One of our cats- Willow- is diabetic. As a result she is on a controlled diet and insulin jabs twice a day. Every so often we have to do glucose curves so, as well as giving her injections, we have to pin her down every hour or so to make her bleed (pin prick in ear margin). Injuries are not uncommon as a pined down ravenous cat can get a bit feisty.

The other day was a new one. Willow is being fed in the kitchen. Our other cat Scooby is being fed in the hall. I need to go to the hall so start to open the door as Willow is still feasting at her bowl. She ain't stoopid though. As soon as she heard the noise of the door opening she was like a furry torpedo accross the kitchen heading for the doorway. As I tried to stop her, I kicked the door-

IMG-20180525-00187 by Matt Langridge, on Flickr

I think I may have profaned.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #861 on: 31 May, 2018, 01:05:14 pm »
Cue Mr. Phillips, Navy Lark: Ooh narsty.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #862 on: 02 June, 2018, 08:14:16 am »
I cleaned some superficial rust from an EAI track sprocket using Barkeeper's Friend (oxalic acid).

It also took off all the black coating.

I now have a very bare steel sprocket.  It looks cool but it's going to have to be smeared in oil to protect it.  I'm tempted to re-black it by heating it up and dropping it in oil but this will probably anneal it and make it soft.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #863 on: 02 June, 2018, 03:14:16 pm »
If it's clean enough why not see a gunsmith about having it blued. Once upon a time this was a DIY thing. Might still be...
VELOMANCER

« Reply #864 on: 02 June, 2018, 09:40:45 pm »
Recently I’ve been riding my Di2 equipped “posh” bike, but the last couple of days it’s been wet so I was out on the conventionally geared machine. And I noticed the almost silent running of the drive train compared to the posh bike. Today I decided to have a look see to see if I could fathom why the Di2 gears were noisy. Up on the workstand and turn the cranks, hmmm chain line looks ok, chain clear of sprockets, running ok on the jockey wheels..... oh, why is the chain running behind that tab between the jockey’s  ::-). So I break the chain (quick links ftw), re-route it in front of the cage tab, and reconnect. Blissfully silent running, and all before the chain wore thru the tab.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #865 on: 02 June, 2018, 09:53:34 pm »
Recently I’ve been riding my Di2 equipped “posh” bike, but the last couple of days it’s been wet so I was out on the conventionally geared machine. And I noticed the almost silent running of the drive train compared to the posh bike. Today I decided to have a look see to see if I could fathom why the Di2 gears were noisy. Up on the workstand and turn the cranks, hmmm chain line looks ok, chain clear of sprockets, running ok on the jockey wheels..... oh, why is the chain running behind that tab between the jockey’s  ::-). So I break the chain (quick links ftw), re-route it in front of the cage tab, and reconnect. Blissfully silent running, and all before the chain wore thru the tab.

Ah yes, I've done that one (without the Di2-ness) as well. :facepalm:

« Reply #866 on: 02 June, 2018, 10:12:17 pm »
So, having had our rather wonderful tandem completely refurbed, my rather wonderful stoker has a conversation with another couple with a tandem.

The subject of suspension seatposts comes up. Our stoker seatpost has an ancient "post moderne" suspension post. Theirs has a Cane Creek Thudbuster, apparently the Rolls Royce of such gear.

I duly promise to get one. I am wary of seatpost sizes, so purchase a micrometer to properly check. The post moderne has a 25.4mm post, but with a shim. I check the pilot seatpost to get the right size. 27.2mm. Thudbuster of same size purchased.

Turns out said Thudbuster needs elastomers changing for my stoker, too svelte for standard. I spend some time this morning doing that. I then remove old seatpost, and fight with annoying clamp to remove saddle. I fit saddle to new seatpost, carefully measure insert length and thoroughly grease.

I fit new seatpost to frame. Or, rather, I don't.

BECAUSE THE REAR SEATPOST IS A DIFFERENT SODDING SIZE TO THE FRONT ONE.

Who on earth ever thought that was a good idea??

The rear appears to be 26.4mm, a size I wasn't even aware existed.

GAAAAAAH!

[cross posted from cuk, but as I'm *such* a fecking div, seemed worth it]

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #867 on: 02 June, 2018, 10:30:39 pm »
Your pain felt.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #868 on: 02 June, 2018, 10:57:09 pm »
And that, kids, is why the Sun Tour "quick cage" wants badly to be reinvented  ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #869 on: 03 June, 2018, 12:06:51 am »

Ah yes, I've done that one (without the Di2-ness) as well. :facepalm:

Ah yes.  Done that several times.   :-[
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #870 on: 03 June, 2018, 12:48:27 am »
And that, kids, is why the Sun Tour "quick cage" wants badly to be reinvented  ;D

Always thought the 'half cage' on the 600 'Arabesque' rear mech, with the push button release allowing the chain to be removed without any dismantling was rather elegant . . .
VELOMANCER

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #871 on: 03 June, 2018, 09:27:37 am »

I duly promise to get one. I am wary of seatpost sizes, so purchase a micrometer to properly check. The post moderne has a 25.4mm post, but with a shim. I check the pilot seatpost to get the right size. 27.2mm. Thudbuster of same size purchased.

Whilst I always advocate buying a tool when you need one, as it's surprising just how often you'll use in in the future, there's another way of finding the diameter.

Wrap a bit of paper around the seat post and mark the edge of the paper where it overlaps.  Measure with a ruler and divide by pi. 

There speaks a man who's just junked his £10 crap Chinese digital caliper 'cos it had started to give non-repeatable results and was eating batteries, and bought an old school dial gauge version, with a resolution of 0.01mm.  Plenty accurate enough for me.   Dead easy to use, no batteries, and relies entirely on things mechanical, not some magic involving voles.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #872 on: 03 June, 2018, 10:27:31 am »
Quote from: andytheflyer
...and bought an old school dial gauge version, with a resolution of 0.01mm.  Plenty accurate enough for me
Andy, I'd have thought for the big stuff you build measuring to the nearest yard would be more than close enough.  :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #873 on: 03 June, 2018, 01:21:17 pm »
Quote from: andytheflyer
...and bought an old school dial gauge version, with a resolution of 0.01mm.  Plenty accurate enough for me
Andy, I'd have thought for the big stuff you build measuring to the nearest yard would be more than close enough.  :)

;D

« Reply #874 on: 03 June, 2018, 06:33:12 pm »
Out for a ride in black park  and decided I could ride across the little plank bridge across the stream above the lake.  I  found out that the bridge was a bit to narrow and ended up in the stream   ::-).
I have just bent the left side track rod  . I have managed to get it nearly straight but I will order a new track rod Monday morning and hope that the Windsor bike company can sort out the tracking by Wednesday as I hope to use the trice to the Watlington camping meet   :)
the slower you go the more you see