Author Topic: The Cambridge Pork Pie 200 + EXTRA + Spring Dash 100 — Sat 16 March 2019 — PBP Q  (Read 24463 times)

Martin

and the really keen riders extending to 300 and above

http://www.aukweb.net/results/detail/this/listevent/?Ride=ECER01

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
....or in our case, the riders that couldn't get home by train due to onset of the Christmas engineering works!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2

http://www.aukweb.net/results/detail/this/listevent/?Ride=ECER01

"Keen" is one word for them! LOL (Top 10)

FourCornersAudax      9
AudaxClubMid-Essex      4
AudaxClubHackney      3
AudaxClubBristol      3
TeamMKMilton      3
VC167      3
CambridgeCC      2
WestSuffolkWhs      2
NorthHampshireRC      1
VC167CTC      1
Regards,

Joergen

ECEing is cheaper than diesel, and more environmentally friendly, although it does take me longer!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

I'd just like to add that having admin'd them for several years it was great to be a part of the East Anglian ECE Massive  :thumbsup:

and that also goes out to all the other organisers who have created these events that are so popular and accessible to all from wherever they ride (to/from or both; and also the other non ECE riders)

Nice work Martin, are the ACME posse particularity big in the ECE world - should we lobby for an award ;-)

and ACH plus a few local clubs yes, I think Tomsk helps a lot with the winter series of 100s, although there are many others like the Kelvedon Oyster Knights Templar (on my list, I'm very into that Holy Blood stuff) Braziers Run etc

Have a look here
http://www.aukweb.net/results/detail/this/listevent/?Ride=ECE01

Thanks for that Martin - with a quick bit of excel magic here's the top 10. (72% of the 132 ECEs overall!)
AudaxClubMid-Essex      36
NO CLUB      17
AudaxClubHackney      14
AudaxClubPortsmouth      7
CCSudburySuffolk      5
FourCornersAudax      5
CambridgeAudaxCTC      3
CambridgeCC      3
LeicesterForestCC      3
HertfordshireWhsCTC      3

So yes then, AUK should have an ECE award based on number of ECEs. Or maybe Tomsk can just fashion an award out of chocolate bars or twigs for us.

Martin

Do you mean an award or a trophy?

I think ECE's should be subject to the 50% rule as they are easier than perms, you don't get CAIK on perms  ;)

I think ECE's should be subject to the 50% rule as they are easier than perms, you don't get CAIK on perms  ;)

ECEs 'can' be easier, but they can also be more challenging, depending upon one's desire for additional AAA points, for example.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
I'd just like to add that having admin'd them for several years it was great to be a part of the East Anglian ECE Massive 

and that also goes out to all the other organisers who have created these events that are so popular and accessible to all from wherever they ride (to/from or both; and also the other non ECE riders)

Nice work Martin, are the ACME posse particularity big in the ECE world - should we lobby for an award ;-)

and ACH plus a few local clubs yes, I think Tomsk helps a lot with the winter series of 100s, although there are many others like the Kelvedon Oyster Knights Templar (on my list, I'm very into that Holy Blood stuff) Braziers Run etc

Have a look here
http://www.aukweb.net/results/detail/this/listevent/?Ride=ECE01

Thanks for that Martin - with a quick bit of excel magic here's the top 10. (72% of the 132 ECEs overall!)
AudaxClubMid-Essex      36
NO CLUB      17
AudaxClubHackney      14
AudaxClubPortsmouth      7
CCSudburySuffolk      5
FourCornersAudax      5
CambridgeAudaxCTC      3
CambridgeCC      3
LeicesterForestCC      3
HertfordshireWhsCTC      3

So yes then, AUK should have an ECE award based on number of ECEs. Or maybe Tomsk can just fashion an award out of chocolate bars or twigs for us.
Another ACME award for the ceremony sounds like a grand idea!
Regards,

Joergen

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
After many hours of deliberation and painstaking checking and cross-checking, the results are in!  <applause> ... <stop>

Crikey, sorting the brevets takes a while — making sure everything's correct and everyone's accounted for, and that the correct times are entered against the correct riders, and that Validation Secretary's going to receive everything in the correct order (for the Pork Pie, at least).

The weather on the day was a stiff, gusty crosswind for most of the way, blowing at about 30mph and gusting to 45mph.  The Dashers enjoyed a block tailwind for a 40km stretch, but then turned into a brutal, exposed crosswind for the return to Cambridge.  Many riders complained of aching arms and shoulders at the finish, as they'd been wrestling their bikes all day past every gate opening and missing hedge.  Quite a few riders abandoned because the constant battering had drained their legs, and a few abandoned because they were unable to stop themselves being blown sideways out of position. 

No wind-related injuries to report, apart from one chap who stopped to take a photo and was promptly toppled over while standing over his bike  :facepalm:  No harm done; nor to the rider  :P

Okay, the Pork Pie first:  103 starters, 89 finishers, 14 DNF.  5 people rode the Extra Slice, and the first back was fifth or sixth back overall — bravo!

And the Spring Dash: 76 starters, 68 finishers, 8 DNF, of which three were hor délais.

Bravo to everyone who started — chapeau to everyone who finished  :thumbsup:  I was quite happy that the wind on the helpers' ride was only pushing 20mph with 30mph gusts, but I still felt battered by the end of my ride a fortnight prior.

The thing about a difficult day on the bike is that those are the rides you remember best, and I think a lot of riders will remember this Pork Pie and Spring Dash for some time to come — along with last year's Big Freeze, we're getting an unenviable weather-related reputation  ::-)

Longer write-up and photos to follow when RL allows.  In the meantime, I'll just leave this here:  The Capitals of East Anglia 300 is on 27 April!  ;D
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Phil W

See you on the 27th for my next PBP qualifier.  If you can book light winds this time, that would be nice.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
See you on the 27th for my next PBP qualifier.  If you can book light winds this time, that would be nice.

I'll see whether they have any nor'easterly on the shelf to blow you home, just for you, Phil  :thumbsup:  :P

TBH, it would be nice to have a wind-free event for a change  ::-)
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...