Author Topic: DIY delivery bike  (Read 17068 times)

donpedro

• ain`t haulin` any lambs to the marketplace anymore
    • But, I'm Swedish!
DIY delivery bike
« on: 10 November, 2008, 03:38:24 pm »
I'm on the lookout for idea's of how to build a transport bike on the cheap. So why not start a thread for posting links, pict and discuss ideas.
Here's one I really like, a converted mtb frame with 24" wheels and elongated fork!

A bit like the the old butchers type bike!
:thumbsup:

Here's a simple and sturdy front rack made of shelf support rods!
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."

Re: DIY delivery bike
« Reply #1 on: 10 November, 2008, 08:22:31 pm »
BikeRescue in York have been knocking up some Longbikes from old frames this year. They posted a note about it on the Velovision site, and have pictures here.

It's something I've been toying with, myself. I reckon using a 20"-wheeled frame for the rear portion (say, a BMX) would give a lower load platform. But I can't work out why no commercial longbike does this. Am I missing something obvious?  ???
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

donpedro

• But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #2 on: 10 November, 2008, 09:30:41 pm »
Thanks for the links PhilO! Funny you should mention it, I spent some time yesterday surfing flickr and found this! Really simple to build as it just bolts together and, like you say, 20" wheels has alot going for them!
Here's another that look a lot like the Bike Rescue bike.
I don't have access to any brazing tools so I'll probably try a bolt together project like a huge front rack. This cartbike look quite doable too!  :P
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."

« Reply #3 on: 11 November, 2008, 09:04:03 am »
There's some interesting stuff on that Flickr group - I might have to start visiting it occasionally!  :thumbsup:

I was actually thinking along the lines of a 26" or 700c front end with a 20" rear grafted on. It'd certainly look ...er... distinctive, but I wonder if the handling would be a problem. Specialized used to do a version of the Big Hit with a 24" rear wheel, and I've seen a few 96er and 69er MTBs, so differing wheel size can't be a problem per se. But would an '06er' be a step too far, I wonder?

I suppose I'm going to have to find out the hard way, now I've mentioned it, eh?  ;)

donpedro

• But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #4 on: 11 November, 2008, 10:57:08 am »
Well, juging by their gallery you have a good source for material if your near Bike rescue!  :thumbsup:
If I get some spare time this winter I really should get going with building a copy of a Bikes-At-Work truss frame trailer so I can transport my kayak . It bolts together and, as far as I can see, the only special tool needed is a conduit pipe bender!  :P

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5 on: 11 November, 2008, 12:20:00 pm »
I was actually thinking along the lines of a 26" or 700c front end with a 20" rear grafted on. It'd certainly look ...er... distinctive, but I wonder if the handling would be a problem. Specialized used to do a version of the Big Hit with a 24" rear wheel, and I've seen a few 96er and 69er MTBs, so differing wheel size can't be a problem per se. But would an '06er' be a step too far, I wonder?

Back in the eighties someone (it could have been Jeremy Torr) tried this - he reckoned that it climbed better than a dual-26.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

bikenerd

« Reply #6 on: 11 November, 2008, 12:29:01 pm »
I'm watching this thread with great interest as I'm planning on building a rear box for my Moulton APB, which has become my load hauling bike.  It's too heavy to be of much use for anything else!
The 20" wheels do help, the rear rack is very low and so carrying a large load isn't as scary round corners as it would be if it was 6" higher.

The rear box is easy: a plastic crate with an adapter made from metal (two plates, probably) to strap it to the rack.
Any ideas for making front panniers?  I like the elasticated mesh ones that the Xtra wheel trailer uses, or I might just fit those box panniers they advertise in the back of CTC magazine.

donpedro

• But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #7 on: 11 November, 2008, 05:13:25 pm »

Back in the eighties someone (it could have been Jeremy Torr) tried this - he reckoned that it climbed better than a dual-26.

I guess you could  swap a 26" wheel for a smaller 20" but question remain how to compensate for the slack angles? Don't think even a 24" up front would be enough and then there's the issue of pedals clearing the ground!?  ???

donpedro

• But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #8 on: 11 November, 2008, 05:22:34 pm »
I'm watching this thread with great interest as I'm planning on building a rear box for my Moulton APB, which has become my load hauling bike.  It's too heavy to be of much use for anything else!
The 20" wheels do help, the rear rack is very low and so carrying a large load isn't as scary round corners as it would be if it was 6" higher.

The rear box is easy: a plastic crate with an adapter made from metal (two plates, probably) to strap it to the rack.
Any ideas for making front panniers?  I like the elasticated mesh ones that the Xtra wheel trailer uses, or I might just fit those box panniers they advertise in the back of CTC magazine.

Biggsy, is it the Bikebins your thinking of?
If so there are plenty of free build plans based on the original Cobbleworks Oysterbucket pannier:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1gci&doc_id=1841&v=v
Bicycle Touring 101: Do-It-Yourself Panniers/Saddlebags
Picasa Web Albums - harleyfrog - Bucket Panniers
Bike Panniers  - a set on Flickr
Flickr: Search

These seem great for commuting, touring  and the weekly grocery run as the lid makes them completely waterproof and doubles as chairs when camping. With such rigid panniers you also get a big load space on top to fit larger items like boxes, duffel bags or a basket. But I would prefer some low tech adjustable hooks to better fit various racks!
Four of these fitted to my Tubus front and rear rack and I'm pretty much set! ;)

A more traditional diy pannier from cotton canvas army surplus bags:
http://web.archive.org/web/20041020064156/http://www.twowheelfetish.com/Ezine4/diypanniers.html 
Various diy pannier resource:
Homemade (and readymade) bicycle pannier links. « Velo Apocalypse

Wald still makes these classic bike baskets but I'm not sure how easy they are to come by over here.
Asked a LBS and they said they had tried to source them in the US but the minimum order was to big for them:
Giant Wald Delivery Basket on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
New Bars For Motobecane on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I like these side mounted foldable delivery baskets even though they are a bit shallow:  :P
it fits! on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
So popular in the US now there's even a guy that makes bags to fit:
Lemolo Bags: Basket Bags - a set on Flickr

It should be easy to make something similar from a stainless fridge basket with some nice strips of ecofriendly marine plywood for strength in the bottom:
Work Bike in 1996 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
With a diy CETMA-type bolt together rack as base it's more versatile:
Flickr: "cetma"
(Got to run, yacf seem very slow to day!  >:( )

« Reply #9 on: 12 November, 2008, 12:37:25 pm »
Here's one of my current projects. The plan is for it to be a hub braked single speed with a huge basket on the back.  :thumbsup:

Don't ask.

« Reply #10 on: 12 November, 2008, 12:45:28 pm »

I guess you could  swap a 26" wheel for a smaller 20" but question remain how to compensate for the slack angles? Don't think even a 24" up front would be enough and then there's the issue of pedals clearing the ground!?  ???

No, you misunderstand...

The idea is to weld (or bolt) a 20"-wheel frame rear section to the back of an MTB. Think Xtracycle with a small wheel. The frame would be attached low, so that there's no effect on the angles and clearances...

I made a couple of tough panniers a few months ago, out of these. Weight would be an issue, though!  ;)

It wasn't an issue for me, 'cause they weren't going on me pushbike:

donpedro

• But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #11 on: 12 November, 2008, 02:37:41 pm »
Here's one of my current projects. The plan is for it to be a hub braked single speed with a huge basket on the back.  :thumbsup:

Very nicely preserved Twenty.  :thumbsup:
What gearhub did you have in mind?
That Nitto stem/moustache combo is a clever and stylish way to sort out that much to short seat to handlebar distance! Are there enough clearance for some comfy Schwalbe Big Apple 2,35"?  :P

No, you misunderstand...
The idea is to weld (or bolt) a 20"-wheel frame rear section to the back of an MTB. Think Xtracycle with a small wheel. The frame would be attached low, so that there's no effect on the angles and clearances...
I made a couple of tough panniers a few months ago, out of these. Weight would be an issue, though!  ;)
It wasn't an issue for me, 'cause they weren't going on me pushbike:

A small wheel in the back would be a great way of addressing my main grips with the Xtracycle. The high rear rack and lack of room to carry larger items on top! Sure one can fit heavy boxes on the side loaders but that always effect handling.

Very nifty MC boxes but could use a touch of Testarossa red! Got any 50 cal ammo left for new years eve btw?
 ;D

« Reply #12 on: 12 November, 2008, 02:59:47 pm »

Very nicely preserved Twenty.  :thumbsup:
What gearhub did you have in mind?
That Nitto stem/moustache combo is a clever and stylish way to sort out that much to short seat to handlebar distance! Are there enough clearance for some comfy Schwalbe Big Apple 2,35"?  :P

I was planning on fitting big apples originally, but I think the forks may be too narrow. The rear hub will be the Sturmey XRD with a single speed sprocket.

The frame needs a few modifications before any of the above can take place tho'.  :-[
Don't ask.

donpedro

• But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #13 on: 12 November, 2008, 04:48:15 pm »
Maybe you can find some creme colored touring tires that fits. But with that great finish I hope your not chopin the frame up!  :hand:

« Reply #14 on: 13 November, 2008, 04:02:57 pm »
Maybe you can find some creme colored touring tires that fits. But with that great finish I hope your not chopin the frame up!  :hand:

The finish isn't as good as the photo suggests unfortunately.

The modifications I've got planned are more modernization than anything else, the spacing on the forks and the rear triangle needs increasing slightly to take modern hubs. And the dropouts themselves are slightly too narrow for modern axles at 9mm. They'll need filing out.

The big mod will be to sort out the obsolete threading in the b/b shell. Fortunately the b/b shell is quite wide, so trimming it down to 68mm and re threading shouldn't be a problem.

Don't ask.

donpedro

• But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #15 on: 15 November, 2008, 03:53:19 pm »
The finish isn't as good as the photo suggests unfortunately.
The modifications I've got planned are more modernization than anything else, the spacing on the forks and the rear triangle needs increasing slightly to take modern hubs. And the dropouts themselves are slightly too narrow for modern axles at 9mm. They'll need filing out.
The big mod will be to sort out the obsolete threading in the b/b shell. Fortunately the b/b shell is quite wide, so trimming it down to 68mm and re threading shouldn't be a problem.

Cool! Would be great to see the final buil!

PhilO, check out this new affordable longbike!  :thumbsup:

Incorporates the idea of big wheel up front and small in the rear and seem to caused quite a stir. The larger front wheel will corner better and with the weight of the rider up front it's less likely to washout. Makes a lot of sense when riding in all year round!
Madsen Cycles - Bicycles for utility, cargo and transportation.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-vD7eZmBrHg&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/-vD7eZmBrHg&rel=1</a>
BikePortland.org   &raquo; madsen cycles
Madsen Cycles Urban Utility Bikes coming to Portland! - Bike Gallery Blog
Interbike 2008: Madsen Bikes | Bike Commuters

The frontloader bike shown in the flickr link is a new lightweight cargo bike by a Danish company called Larry Vs Harry (!?):
Cargo bike Bullitt ® by Larry vs Harry cargo bikes, Copenhagen.
Cool bike, uncool material!

« Reply #16 on: 15 November, 2008, 06:27:47 pm »
Aye, that's just the kind of thing I had in mind!  :thumbsup:

Add an electric drive for the hills round here, and Ojnr's transport to nursery is sorted!  :)

« Reply #17 on: 16 November, 2008, 06:42:19 pm »
If anybody is near Portsmouth this tandem on Ebay looks like it would be an easy conversion.  :thumbsup:

(There's also a very similar looking triplet listed, if you fancy a long-tail tandem!  ;D)

donpedro

• But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #18 on: 16 November, 2008, 10:17:27 pm »
Just what I was thinking when I wrote my earlier post.
Dual purpose tandem and cargo bike! Has there ever been such product?

It's like when I first saw a Hase Pino years ago and was surprised how similar the construction was to that of the Filibus.
Two versions are made by Fietsfabriek and Kemper but like the Pino they still cost an arm and a limb!
I'd like both a Pino and Filibus but not prepared to spend that kind of cach for something such large to fit in to my apartment and with a limited usage.
Now, if someone come up with a bike that had both features at a decent price i would be first in line!  :P

If your after a electric engine check out the Stokemonkey from Clever Cycles.
Sale seem to be on hold at the moment but it has some nice features.

« Reply #19 on: 17 November, 2008, 08:32:56 am »
I'd like both a Pino and Filibus but not prepared to spend that kind of cach for something such large to fit in to my apartment and with a limited usage.
Now, if someone come up with a bike that had both features at a decent price i would be first in line!  :P

Surely, you could just strap a box to the seat of a Pino, or make a load platform to bolt on in the seat's place? Removing the boom and front chain would be trivial, or it could just be left in place.  :)

peter carter 2

« Reply #20 on: 17 November, 2008, 11:28:51 pm »
Raleigh Twentys

Re the bottom bracket. If you google the raleigh twenty sites you should soon hit a dutch guy whose found a  sealed  unit size that fits the twenty. This challenges Sheldon,  who suggetsed the only soloution was an expensive phil woods bodge.

Yes , the  reach is a prolem....

« Reply #21 on: 18 November, 2008, 04:10:18 pm »
If anybody is near Portsmouth this tandem on Ebay looks like it would be an easy conversion.  :thumbsup:

And it sold for only £51... Anybody here?  ;D