Author Topic: They don't want my blood  (Read 32211 times)

They don't want my blood
« on: 15 July, 2008, 08:03:20 pm »
Blood donor session this evening. 
Home rather earlier than I was expecting as I failed the iron test.  129 when the minimum is 135.  I have had the usual reassurances (which I do believe) that this is nothing to worry about.  However, I am curious at the least and would prefer to ensure that I don't waste their and my time again if I can help it.

What should I be doing to help the situation. 

Background info: Omnivore.  Think I have a reasonable and varied diet.  Ride about 50 miles a week.  Only real vice is beer (far too much of that).  Not overweight.

Steve
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Clare

• Is in NZ
Re: They don't want my blood
« Reply #1 on: 15 July, 2008, 08:09:47 pm »
Red wine and 70% cocoa solid chocolate the evening before donation day  :thumbsup:.

I regularly used to be borderline on the anaemia test and the above info was given to me by one of the blood nurses, better results than eating loads of green leafy veg apparently.

Jezza

« Reply #2 on: 15 July, 2008, 08:15:14 pm »
Have you been to a malarial zone lately? They refused my blood on that account.   

« Reply #3 on: 15 July, 2008, 08:20:17 pm »
No.  (No such luck)
It's definitely the iron problem.

Thanks for the suggestion, Clare -- sounds worth a try whatever!  ;D

« Reply #4 on: 15 July, 2008, 08:26:05 pm »
Probably just a one-off. On the one occassion I was borderline and just scraped through it was the day after a nearly all night observing session (astronomy) ao I was just tired. On another occassion I was above the normal range which fails the simple test but is OK on the more detailed test - again, that proved to be a one-off.

Just carry on eating normally but it's a good excuse to increase consumption of red wine and guinness, even if that is a myth.

Martin

« Reply #5 on: 15 July, 2008, 08:32:40 pm »
The Copper Sulphate test they use to check Hb (and also the mobile haemoglobinometers)  is carp; I'm still banned for having a supposedly Hb of 128ish 3 months ago too; I checked it at work (work in a haematology lab) and it was 151 the next day.

Their loss  :-\  I'm supposed to be going Friday but can't make it (again); life seems to get in the way.

Just turn up again in 3 months you'll  probably be fine  :) I just don't believe that any cyclist in the UK who takes the usual amount of vitamins in their diet (I don't eat meat and take no supplements whatever just a lot of cake and beer) is that anaemic.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #6 on: 15 July, 2008, 08:49:15 pm »
I'm not allowed to give until 1st August, as despite having an asthmatic cough for well over a year, because I made the mistake of telling them that I had got an appointment about it, they class it as undergoing treatment, so I can't donate  >:(

« Reply #7 on: 15 July, 2008, 08:50:40 pm »
The Copper Sulphate test they use to check Hb (and also the mobile haemoglobinometers)  is carp; I'm still banned for having a supposedly Hb of 128ish 3 months ago too; I checked it at work (work in a haematology lab) and it was 151 the next day.
The woman who tested me would probably agree about the CuSO4 test.  After the fourth go, including changing the test tube, she checked on a meter.  That gave me the 129 reading.

Oh well, at least I can have a beer tonight...

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #8 on: 15 July, 2008, 08:59:51 pm »

Oh well, at least I can have a beer tonight...

You mean to say you didn't if you gave blood.  :o

Everybode kno that it's the best time to have a few refreshers. Gotta replace the liquid, y'kno.

Back in the old days when I first bled for them they used to give you the choice of a Guinness or Mackeson instead of tea.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #9 on: 15 July, 2008, 11:59:37 pm »
I'm trying to sign up (after years of hiding thanks to Flucloxacillin), however I fail on 4 separate questions in the online check:-

1) I've got a cold sore at the moment. Fair enough.
2) Complicated Dental Work. Yes.
3) Have I been outside the UK in the last 12 months. Errr. Yes.
4) Have I stayed outside the UK for more than 6 months in one go. Yes.

I've seen the van parked up right next to the office so hopefully I can do it there. :)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #10 on: 16 July, 2008, 12:32:19 am »
For iron deficiency - dried apricots. And Guinness. Watch out for the parp! potential though.

I can't give blood any more since I had a transfusion.  >:(
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

« Reply #11 on: 16 July, 2008, 12:54:47 am »
You can get iron tablets too, if you actually are anaemic, although I noted with amusement reading one of my medical friends' reference books that common side effects include 'black and tarry stools'.  Mmmm.

The Mechanic

« Reply #12 on: 16 July, 2008, 09:56:07 am »

Same here.  I worked in West Africa and other malerial areas so they won't take my blood.  Apparently there is no test that will show up latent maleria so they will not take the chance until someone comes up with a reliable test.  Sounds like a Nobel Prize challenge to me for all you drug dealers out there. :thumbsup:

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #13 on: 16 July, 2008, 09:58:09 am »
They won't have my blood at all.  Not enough red in it, even if I am taking iron supplements.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #14 on: 16 July, 2008, 10:36:03 am »
I guess it depends upon how recently you've been.  I have to jump through the 'additional grilling by the scary member of staff' hoops every time I donate (assuming they don't fail me for "low" Hb like last time)  because we lived in Malaya when I was a kid.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #15 on: 16 July, 2008, 10:44:23 am »
I guess it depends upon how recently you've been.  I have to jump through the 'additional grilling by the scary member of staff' hoops every time I donate (assuming they don't fail me for "low" Hb like last time)  because we lived in Malaya when I was a kid.

My blood has been refused due to the malarial risk.  I thought you had to be in a malaria free zone for six months before they'd accept your blood (but I may be wrong).
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Chris S

« Reply #16 on: 16 July, 2008, 10:51:42 am »
I ruined my blood last year on the Three Coats Coasts 600 audax. I got a "look" when I spectacularly failed the CuSO4 test and owned up to doing a 400 mile bike ride three days before  ::-).

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #17 on: 16 July, 2008, 12:45:44 pm »
I'm trying to sign up (after years of hiding thanks to Flucloxacillin), however I fail on 4 separate questions in the online check:-

I've seen the van parked up right next to the office so hopefully I can do it there. :)

I don't think 3 & 4 are automatic fails, IIRC they just result in a few more questions, the answers to which will determine whether you can donate at that time or not.

No idea bout 1 & 2.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #18 on: 16 July, 2008, 12:54:13 pm »
They'll take mine, but they ain't gettin' it until the end of the season. Need those red cells.

« Reply #19 on: 16 July, 2008, 12:59:34 pm »
I don't think 3 & 4 are automatic fails, IIRC they just result in a few more questions, the answers to which will determine whether you can donate at that time or not.

No idea bout 1 & 2.

1 is a "come back after it's cleared up." They don't want blood with Herpes Simplex in it.

I think 2 is just another "tell us about it" and we'll make up our mind.

I might be able to get one donation in before I go off and do something that will strike me off for another 6 months.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #20 on: 16 July, 2008, 02:21:06 pm »
They won't have my blood at all.  Not enough red in it, even if I am taking iron supplements.

Yebbut you're a tad little also. They won't take blood from people who weigh less than 8 stone anyway.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #21 on: 16 July, 2008, 02:23:19 pm »

Yebbut you're a tad little also. They won't take blood from people who weigh less than 8 stone anyway.

A generous guesstimation - thank you!  :-* :-* :-* ;D

Actually I weigh more than nine! :o

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22 on: 16 July, 2008, 02:26:31 pm »
I ruined my blood last year on the Three Coats Coasts 600 audax. I got a "look" when I spectacularly failed the CuSO4 test and owned up to doing a 400 mile bike ride three days before  ::-).

I think I gave blood OK through most of my Audax years, until I was diagnosed with MS (which disqualifies me).
I was not in the habit of discussing cycling with the blood collectors.
This only backfired on me once.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #23 on: 16 July, 2008, 02:36:32 pm »

No idea bout 1 & 2.
3 and 4 just mean they want more details.  Once upon a time I lived outside the UK for more than 6 months.  It just means they ask me where (France, 1988 and 1991-2) and occasional holidays elsewhere in Europe.  They'd probably question more closely if you've been somewhere tropical or whatever I imagine.

I always answer yes to your 3&4 and have now got to my 40th donation.  I'll stop at about 107 when I have given my weight in blood.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #24 on: 26 January, 2009, 10:15:47 am »
Didn't get a chance to do it before I went away (and the vaccinations would have stopped me anyway). Now on a 6 month hold for going to a malarial area (Iguazu). At least they'll stop sending me stuff every other week and automatically start again in July when I am able to donate (although this is bound to be 3 days before LEL!).