Author Topic: Windsor Chester Windsor 2019  (Read 42935 times)

Windsor Chester Windsor 2019
« on: 07 August, 2018, 05:53:04 pm »
It's ages away I know, but I've started work on getting ready for next year's Windsor Chester Windsor.

Most of the controls are booked, with no changes to the northern half of the ride. There's a huge village hall about 3km from the current turn, but Christleton is a cute little village, and the hall is utterly charming, so it stays in place. The dual-hall setup at Lilleshall worked really well, so that stays in place too.

The big change from 2015 is that I've decided to make the route compulsory. I think this will work very well for this event. Those who know the history of WCW will know that it was originally a main-road bash that fell victim to those roads getting increasingly busy. The new route uses lanes, but this means twiddling alongside the main roads, slowly clocking up extra distance. Rather than litter the route with info controls, and running the event over-distance, I think it's far better to insist that nobody try and save a few km by attempting to cycle along the A41 (for example).

A mandatory route gives me a lot more control over the distance, so I should be able to get it close to 600km. It also means I can cut out the two sections I disliked near Kidderminster and Moreton in Marsh.

I've yet to settle on a control for the start. My original choice is a pig to route out of, so I'm scouting for others. Happily, Berkshire is groaning under the weight of pretty village halls, so I'm hopeful of a suitable replacement for the lovely hall I used in Old Windsor. As soon as I've got that booked, I'll publish.

As in 2015, the event will be full-service, with controls every 50-70km. It's a rolling route, much like PBP, so you'll be glad of the TLC.

alfapete

• Oh dear
Re: Windsor Chester Windsor 2019
« Reply #1 on: 07 August, 2018, 08:22:21 pm »
Hmmm, so how do you regulate the 'mandatory' side of things - surely a gpx track is the only way, or multiple secret controls? And this might exclude those who prefer a routesheet...
Expecting fevered debate.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #2 on: 07 August, 2018, 10:14:54 pm »
Multiple secret controls, replacing the 4 info controls. That won't affect the routesheet though, unless I'm missing something.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #3 on: 07 August, 2018, 10:20:31 pm »
Hmmm, so how do you regulate the 'mandatory' side of things - surely a gpx track is the only way, or multiple secret controls? And this might exclude those who prefer a routesheet...
I understand in other countries routes are mandatory and a single secret control is considered sufficient.

Basically it relies on the good faith of the riders, it's not like there aren't ways to cheat on other events. Just remember the train ticket or petrol receipt is not a sensible proof of passage. ;)

Eddington  127miles, 170km

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #4 on: 08 August, 2018, 06:50:34 am »
Multiple secret controls, replacing the 4 info controls. That won't affect the routesheet though, unless I'm missing something.
:thumbsup:
When I mentioned routesheets I meant those without gps devices, but I'd misunderstood your intentions
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #5 on: 08 August, 2018, 07:19:11 am »
Sounds great.

A mandatory route sounds sensible. I ride in 2015 and went off piste a couple of times to cut down the distance a little bit, but obviously wouldn't do that if it's mandatory. Plus it'll be easier to make the route a lot closer to 600km than the 2015 version.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #6 on: 08 August, 2018, 12:53:45 pm »
Hello, is there a scheduled date/month for this one yet? I missed it last time and suspect I will have to miss it this time! My local 600 and the one I've always had my eye on......

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7 on: 08 August, 2018, 01:32:51 pm »

If the alternative is the A41, surely it's pretty much self-regulating? Of course, there may be some riders who enjoy riding on busy trunk roads but that's certainly not my idea of fun.

As for 'fevered debate', I remember the discussion around the over-distance last time this event was run, which involved some strong opinions being aired, so if making it a mandatory route can cut out some of the excess kilometres, hopefully that will in fact reduce the temperature of the discussion.

I've done both of the last two editions and very much enjoyed it on both occasions. There is a lot to recommend this event and it sounds like it will be even better this time. Very tempted to come back for another go, but I've also got my eye on some other 600s for next season and will probably need to pick and choose my rides carefully.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

whosatthewheel

« Reply #8 on: 08 August, 2018, 02:11:49 pm »
Hello, is there a scheduled date/month for this one yet? I missed it last time and suspect I will have to miss it this time! My local 600 and the one I've always had my eye on......

June 1st

« Reply #9 on: 08 August, 2018, 02:45:16 pm »
I wonder if my £40 kryptonite lock is still locked outside the Old Windsor Library from last time? If we move the start I might never find out :(
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #10 on: 08 August, 2018, 03:12:14 pm »

June 1st

I thought it was an 'earlyish' one. I'm having a baby in Feb, don't think I can get myself 600k fit in 3 months  ;D  :facepalm:, I guess 2023 I'll pencil it in :)

whosatthewheel

« Reply #11 on: 08 August, 2018, 03:23:26 pm »

June 1st

I thought it was an 'earlyish' one. I'm having a baby in Feb, don't think I can get myself 600k fit in 3 months  ;D  :facepalm:, I guess 2023 I'll pencil it in :)

I think early june is as late as you want to organise it, for a credible PBP qualifier... any later and the DNS rate would be huge, as anyone who already qualified would not bother to show up...

It's sad that people sign up for multiple events only to qualify for PBP rather than for the event itself and then drop the unnecessary, but it's the way things are.

« Reply #12 on: 08 August, 2018, 03:33:53 pm »
I have absolutely zero PBP wants or ambitions. I get that loads of people want them at that time though :)

I just want to ride WCW! 2023 it is

whosatthewheel

« Reply #13 on: 08 August, 2018, 03:48:13 pm »
I have absolutely zero PBP wants or ambitions. I get that loads of people want them at that time though :)

I just want to ride WCW! 2023 it is

You can always enter and have a go... at no point en route you are too far from a train station.

simonp

« Reply #14 on: 08 August, 2018, 03:55:19 pm »
I'm hoping to go for the earliest 600k available as I'll be trying to work around potentially trying to qualify for Henley Regatta as well. I suspect June will be too late for me, needs to be as early in May as possible.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #15 on: 08 August, 2018, 04:07:19 pm »
I'm hoping to go for the earliest 600k available as I'll be trying to work around potentially trying to qualify for Henley Regatta as well. I suspect June will be too late for me, needs to be as early in May as possible.

There isn't much in the calendar ahead of BCM that I can't think of, so you might have to start looking for your cheque book...  ;D

« Reply #16 on: 08 August, 2018, 04:42:31 pm »
Basically it relies on the good faith of the riders

Surely that should be the essence of randonneuring?

simonp

« Reply #17 on: 08 August, 2018, 05:08:22 pm »

There isn't much in the calendar ahead of BCM that I can't think of, so you might have to start looking for your cheque book...  ;D

Same as 2011 and 2015 then. But probably on gears this time.

« Reply #18 on: 08 August, 2018, 07:43:34 pm »
The big change from 2015 is that I've decided to make the route compulsory. I think this will work very well for this event.

Good idea, sounds great!

« Reply #19 on: 10 August, 2018, 02:15:37 pm »
Final control booked. The start will be in Bray. This avoids dealing with the Thames or with Maidenhead, and it's a cute control in a nice town. Parking will require a little planning though.

I couldn't get my control of choice, alas, which would have reduced the route down to 608km. So it's 611km with about the same climbing as before. I suspect there will still be fords.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #20 on: 10 August, 2018, 02:28:05 pm »
Final control booked. The start will be in Bray.

Well done, The Fat Duck is always a good choice... it has gone down in the ratings over the past 10 years, but still good enough for an AUK control  ;D

« Reply #21 on: 10 August, 2018, 03:20:48 pm »
I prefer the Hinds Head to the Fat Duck these days to be honest.

That car park by the village hall is free parking but it is small and often pretty full, I'm sure there's a workaround of course :)

I should be able to help at the start/finish Alwyn I would have thought :)

Ben T

« Reply #22 on: 10 August, 2018, 08:36:06 pm »
Final control booked. The start will be in Bray.

Well done, The Fat Duck is always a good choice... it has gone down in the ratings over the past 10 years, but still good enough for an AUK control  ;D

;D I'll be ordering rice pudding  :D

« Reply #23 on: 12 August, 2018, 11:42:50 am »
Out of interest, are you going with the Village Hall or the Cricket club in Bray ?

The parish council allow parking for larger events on the village green, normally that's big weddings.   Normally the gate to access with vehicles is locked.  It costs something (not sure how much), and if it is too wet in the days leading up to your booking they will cancel.  But it is an option.

Otherwise there is almost unlimited parking on Old Mill Lane / Monkey Island Lane - it's basically a very long road that goes nowhere with big houses on one side, and fields on the other.  There are no restrictions on that road.
37.9 miles from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #24 on: 13 August, 2018, 03:04:10 pm »
Cor, thanks for that, Mike. I think I’ll get in touch with the council.