Author Topic: Windsor Chester Windsor 2019  (Read 42492 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: Windsor Chester Windsor 2019
« Reply #150 on: 20 May, 2019, 09:55:20 pm »
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #152 on: 20 May, 2019, 10:25:52 pm »
I wonder if it will be like 2015.

https://youtu.be/v2lmbVg4gMI

No; I'll be on gears.

You might have time for one of the red, and one of the white.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #153 on: 20 May, 2019, 10:52:19 pm »
No; I'll be on gears.

Me too!

Err ... will I be making a silly mistake here?  Or are you both on gears simply because?  ???
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #154 on: 20 May, 2019, 11:08:53 pm »
It's absolutely fine on fixed; there's a few sharp pulls but I found it all rideable. Plus there is some flatter parts like the Cheshire plains.

However I've hardly riden my fixed since LEL. Last year I did the ALPI 4000 which wasn't fixed friendly and so I spent the spring riding the geared bike in preparation. This year PBP will be on gears because I'm doing the 80 hour start and don't fancy getting dropped from groups for the first 200+ km.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #155 on: 20 May, 2019, 11:10:51 pm »
It's absolutely fine on fixed; there's a few sharp pulls but I found it all rideable. Plus there is some flatter parts like the Cheshire plains.

Whew!  Thanks, Adam.  I'm riding Bear Bones/LWL this weekend on fixed, which I'm expecting to be somewhat harder than WCW, even though shorter.

Phil W

« Reply #156 on: 21 May, 2019, 02:58:53 pm »

Whew!  Thanks, Adam.  I'm riding Bear Bones/LWL this weekend on fixed, which I'm expecting to be somewhat harder than WCW, even though shorter.

It is mostly rolling Wilkyboy.  I remember a steepish section round Watlington but that has gone. The other steep bits I recall is the drag out of Henley on the return; plus there was something in the Cotswolds going north where I found myself in the big ring and the front derailleur not playing ball.   I don't recall any brutish bits other than that, but looking at my timings from 2015, I was somewhat fitter then.  So maybe I'll find more bits my legs notice this year.

Oh and the Severn Across 400 (now the Bare Bones 400) I didn't find particuarly challenging in 2013; I rode it almost as fast as my fastest Asparagus and Strawberries.  But yet again, I was another level of fitness back then.   So the Bare Bones is not more challenging than WCW just a different kind of ride and terrain; more concentrated hilly sections but plenty of easy bits.

Meanwhile with my current level of fitness I'll be using all my gears on WCW but that's just me; sure you'll be fine on fixed with your fitness.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #157 on: 21 May, 2019, 03:07:29 pm »
Meanwhile with my current level fitness I'll be using all my gears on WCW but that's just me; sure you'll be fine on fixed with your fitness.

Thanks, Phil.  I suspect I'll be using all my gear on WCW too  :facepalm:

Phil W

« Reply #158 on: 21 May, 2019, 07:39:42 pm »
Meanwhile with my current level fitness I'll be using all my gears on WCW but that's just me; sure you'll be fine on fixed with your fitness.

Thanks, Phil.  I suspect I'll be using all my gear on WCW too  :facepalm:

Have faith in yourself you fixed riders are much stronger uphill.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #159 on: 21 May, 2019, 09:19:48 pm »
Have faith in yourself you fixed riders are much stronger uphill.

Thanks; but I preferred your previous comment  ;D

« Reply #160 on: 21 May, 2019, 09:55:32 pm »
Danial has quickly replied...

"The main sleep stop is indeed in Sherriffhales/Lilleshall. It will be first come first served and I hope to have about 100 beds there for about 160 riders."

That's the "Main" sleep stop but is it the only one?  Are there to be any beds elsewhere on the ride?

« Reply #161 on: 22 May, 2019, 03:43:44 pm »
I am sure that Alwyn will be releasing an updated route with the site of every suitable bus stop, church porch, etc listed.  Alternatively you could use Google earth fly through to note them.

I do not believe there are any other official sleep stops.  Alwyn is renowned for his attention to detail.  If there were others he would have listed them!

« Reply #162 on: 22 May, 2019, 03:44:00 pm »
There will be a few beds at other controls, but from experience folk don't really use them.

Phil W

« Reply #163 on: 22 May, 2019, 04:50:17 pm »
It's 436km to get back to Hartlebury southbound.   So it's a bit of push to get there before sleep particularly if not on the first start group.  If you are fast or push on through the night then fine, you may want a kip there, but I suspect most will want a sleep by the 370-380km of Lilleshall and Sherrifhales.  Pushing on would be good practice for PBP though, but only if it doesn't lead to a DNF...

« Reply #164 on: 22 May, 2019, 09:49:52 pm »
Does anyone have a full route for this?

Phil W

« Reply #165 on: 22 May, 2019, 09:53:01 pm »

Danial emailed out the GPX and route sheets in an email over the weekend.

« Reply #166 on: 22 May, 2019, 09:53:35 pm »

Danial emailed out the GPX and route sheets in an email over the weekend.

May 18th - I've just checked.

« Reply #167 on: 23 May, 2019, 05:42:18 am »
Jake's after a single gpx track for the entire route, rather than a track for each segment.

If anyone can help him I'm sure he'd be very grateful.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #168 on: 23 May, 2019, 07:35:45 am »

Does this help?  https://www.camaudax.uk/rides/lel/wcw/2019/

« Reply #169 on: 23 May, 2019, 01:27:13 pm »
For those that might want a little more 'comfort' there is a Premier Inn now at Newport slightly off route though!

« Reply #170 on: 23 May, 2019, 01:50:15 pm »
£101 for a few hours in a Premier Inn!

I'll be sleeping at Sheriffhales...

« Reply #171 on: 23 May, 2019, 02:56:35 pm »
The lilleshall national sports centre was a lot cheaper.

« Reply #172 on: 23 May, 2019, 03:42:11 pm »
There are some lovely bus shelters along the route  ;)

S2L

« Reply #173 on: 23 May, 2019, 03:55:22 pm »

Does this help?  https://www.camaudax.uk/rides/lel/wcw/2019/

Didn't realise the route went up Dovers Hill after nearly 500 km... that'll be popular...  ;D
The only "gentle" alternative up to Chipping Campden for those on recumbents, fixed and other marvellous machines is via the B road, but it adds a couple of km... and I understand the route is mandatory?

« Reply #174 on: 24 May, 2019, 12:31:31 pm »
Nice to recall rolling up there last time. 2015 was my first 600 and first experience of the LEL/WCW team organisation. You'll work out the sleeping, it'll be fine. Last time I skipped the main sleep, it chucked it down and I arrived at the extra sleep stop soaked and shivering. I had no idea what I needed but the controllers there gently shepherded me to a pit. I got the wake up call on time and was handed a dry outer top, they'd put it in some sort of drying room. Despite many subsequent arrivals they knew which were my shoes and saddlebag. A brew and a slice of toast and homeward bound. All the controls, like LEL, were great.
I was one of the controllers at Sheriffhales last time and will be at Sheriffhales this time. We will look after riders who wish to sleep here. Last time we did not run out of beds. As this is a sleep control only, we do ask riders to be very quiet, shoes off at the entrance, no chattering with your mates.
Remember to load the gpx file:-
 WCW-S2-Lilleshall-Sheriffhales-Hartlebury.gpx to navigate you to the sleep stop.
The routesheet has  a route "S2.   Lilleshall to Hartlebury via Sheriffhales sleep stop" Bottom of page 7.
There will be signs to direct you.