Author Topic: Windsor Chester Windsor 2019  (Read 42968 times)

Re: Windsor Chester Windsor 2019
« Reply #225 on: 02 June, 2019, 07:36:35 pm »
SO

MUCH

FOOD

Big thanks to all the volunteers (how did the org get so many?!). They were always cheery, helpful and turned a blind eye to seconds, thirds, fourths, etc...

« Reply #226 on: 02 June, 2019, 09:48:23 pm »
Great fun as a volunteer as well this weekend. Some lovely riders who took the time to thank the volunteers specifically.

« Reply #227 on: 02 June, 2019, 10:16:05 pm »
Just completed this event all my fears resleep were unfounded everything was catered for to get a power nap. All controls were amazing such lovely passionate people and quality of food was so high we thought we were on a gastro tour rather than an Audax!😀

« Reply #228 on: 02 June, 2019, 10:38:33 pm »
All controls were amazing such lovely passionate people and quality of food was so high we thought we were on a gastro tour rather than an Audax!😀

Thank you  :)  :thumbsup:
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #229 on: 02 June, 2019, 10:48:16 pm »
Don't worry, we have something to keep riders warm in Hartlebury

*hic*

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #230 on: 03 June, 2019, 12:08:21 am »
Sorry to leave you hanging as we passed in the lane Adam.... I think my mental fatigue hadn't quite worked out how to go from thumbs up to high five in the time we passed each other!  :facepalm:
I was trying to count southbound riders as I was heading up to Chester.  I think you were the 4th, Jasmin was 7th and I lost count after about 8!

Cracking ride, tougher than expected - frazzled on Saturday with a month of sunshine in a day and powering along with a tail wind resulting in me bedding down early doors - even the thought of riding down the road to the official sleep stop was a leap too far!  rough section in the Cotswolds with the rain and significant reduction in power made it tough going however the shining start manning the controls were ace  :thumbsup:

Grand day out!
Regards,

Joergen

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #231 on: 03 June, 2019, 12:27:18 am »
Exemplary event.

Just fantastic.

Great route, even better than last time. A tough route with most of the climbing being very spikey (especially Dover’s Hill and the one shortly after it), but some simply fabulous views, so we did get the reward.

Massive gratitude to the huge team Danial had put together for giving up their weekend to make the event so special.

What a contrasting pair of days - the heat and humidity of Saturday leading into some pretty grim weather Sunday.

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

S2L

« Reply #232 on: 03 June, 2019, 07:50:06 am »
Great fun as a volunteer as well this weekend.

Yep, and very busy when the bulge arrived...  :thumbsup:

« Reply #233 on: 03 June, 2019, 09:01:49 am »
Well done everyone, volunteers and food at the ontrols were excellent, although with a start/finish in Bray I wonder if The Fat Duck or The Waterside might have added a touch of class as an Arrivee ?😁
Superb event.

« Reply #234 on: 03 June, 2019, 09:48:31 am »
Thank you to all involved in putting on this great ride. The food choice and efficiency of the controls was incredible, during a 600k ride I filled 1 water bottle the rest being taken off me and returned full.

On the way out I realised Dovers Hill was going to be hard and not just because of tired legs, however it was still a shock.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #235 on: 03 June, 2019, 12:23:27 pm »
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

S2L

« Reply #236 on: 03 June, 2019, 12:30:32 pm »
Provisional results are already up :thumbsup:

http://www.aukweb.net/results/archive/2019/listevent/?Ride=19-461

129 started I understood, so quite a high number of DNF... it was hot

« Reply #237 on: 03 June, 2019, 12:34:17 pm »
I was a DNF combination of not being properly recovered from a recent heavy cold, being off the bike for 4 weeks and the heat.
A big thank you to all the people at the controls in particular those at Lilleshall.
Next up Wander Wye

« Reply #238 on: 03 June, 2019, 01:17:53 pm »
It'd be interesting to find out how many DNFs were on day 1 (from the heat) vs day 2 (from the relentless hills, headwind and rain). If I'd spend more than the 90 minutes asleep ("asleep") I did at Sheriffhales I might have been out of time.

Wilkyboy's comment about needing extra time to head south was certainly on the money - I did Bray-Sheriffhales as 11h45 northbound, 15 hours southbound.

Echoing everyone else about how excellent the volunteers were. So weird doing an audax without gulping down crap coffee on a garage forecourt.

« Reply #239 on: 03 June, 2019, 01:24:22 pm »
*hic*

I suspect the very warm weather was to blame but analysis has shown that much too much of the brandy evaporated before riders got the full effect of the Brandified Bread pudding.

Do not fret: I have ideas about how to rectify this next time.

S2L

« Reply #240 on: 03 June, 2019, 01:26:08 pm »
It'd be interesting to find out how many DNFs were on day 1 (from the heat) vs day 2 (from the relentless hills, headwind and rain). If I'd spend more than the 90 minutes asleep ("asleep") I did at Sheriffhales I might have been out of time.

Wilkyboy's comment about needing extra time to head south was certainly on the money - I did Bray-Sheriffhales as 11h45 northbound, 15 hours southbound.

Echoing everyone else about how excellent the volunteers were. So weird doing an audax without gulping down crap coffee on a garage forecourt.

More than half DNF didn't make it to Hartlebury on the way north

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #241 on: 03 June, 2019, 01:29:22 pm »
... and we then had a good few more drop out at Lilleshall going north.

Rich XAB

• Dulwich on the outside, Peckham on the inside!
« Reply #242 on: 03 June, 2019, 01:47:27 pm »
A big thanks to all volunteers and riders for another great AUK event :)

Phil W

« Reply #243 on: 03 June, 2019, 01:58:06 pm »
This was one ride I had to abandon.

Got up around 6am, had breakfast, then drove down to the start with Howard (who'd cycled over), getting there just after 7am.

I was on the 7:30am start and it started well enough and I was enjoying the early morning riding through the shaded Chilterns beech woodland.  It was a perfect temperature for me.   Once through the Chilterns it flattened as we rolled onto the Appleford control just west of Oxford.  Appleford I topped up my water bottles, toilet visit, grabbed some cake for my stem cell, then off again. 

After a gently rolling section we entered the Cotswolds and the series of climbs and descents began. Gentle but long climbs, a little bit of high up ridge riding, then followed by rapid descents, then repeat.  The temperature began to climb, and without the same extent of shade as the Chilterns, my sweat rate increased.  Arriving in Broadwell the control was just by a ford which I chose not to ride through but jump up on the grass and into the control.  Water bottles topped up and then inside for baked potato, beans and sausage.  Plus a jug of fruit juice.   I'd mostly ridden with Howard and Matt up to this point.

Onwards to Hartlebury, continuing through the Cotswolds.  Riding along a main road there was a close pass by the ubiquitous blacked out SUVs.  John Sabine who had crept up behind me exclaimed fucking hell very loudly. I'm not sure what made me jump more, the pass or John's very loud sweary shouting.  The pass being completely unecessary as a large gap in the traffic coming the other way opened up almost immediately. We were soon to turn off that road back into lanes. The heat continued to climb as we entered the afternoon. My jersey was now dripping, salt was cristalising out on my cap and face and arms.   I was drinking a lot. Eventually I had gone through my two bottles and with no shops in sight I looked for a house I could knock on the door of for water.  The only houses I saw were large properties, gated, and probably surrounded by electric fences and gattling guns to keep water seeking cyclists out. Eventually I reached a village hall in Hanbury where I pulled over.  A note on the door said infinite yoga do not disturb, but on the note was the pin code for an outside toilet.  Sure enough it had a wash basin, so toilet stop, and water topped up I was off again.  Along here I caught a rider with a yellow top who was riding round in circles as his Wahoo was playing up.  After a few more missed turns where I shouted after him; we rode together to Hartlebury.  At Hartlebury he was able to get a new WCW track off ridewithgps using his paired phone and I must say I was impressed at that Wahoo feature. not sure so much it losing the plot on the original.

At Hartlebury I had a decent length rest with more baked potato and beans and fruit juice.  I was sat at a table with Drew Buck and his face expressed how I was feeling. I was completely whacked from the heat.  My legs got violent cramps at one point and I had to stand up to relieve it. Continuing north we skirted the the suburbs surrounding Kidderminster before once more into the lanes.  I was increasingly getting passed by riders, each one asking if I was alright.  I was getting slower and slower but still moving forwards.   The sweat continued to pour off.  As the fatigue built I decided I needed to have a rest, so got off the bike and lay down in a shaded grass bank.  When I next got on the bike I was violently sick, then paused, tried riding and was violently sick again, paused tried riding, sick again, tried some water sick again.   I paused longer, arms resting on bars and head down.    Tried riding again, sick.  At this point I got my brevet card and looked at the timings, looked at what I was averaging, how far it was to the turn.   I realised that I had slowed so much that I had virtually wiped out any buffer I had built for sleep.  Without rest and sleep there was no way I would recover from my current state.  Plus there would be a headwind on the way back.  Despite the conflict with PBP qualification I decided it was time to call it.

I turned and started gently rolling down the hill and saw Drew Buck stopped a little way down.  I pulled over and we had a chat, that I was turning back for Hartlebury.  He was in a similar position and pondering whether to continue.  I wished him well while he still pondered, and trundled on, back south.   I was feeling queasy anytime the hills went up, so got off and walked at any point I thought I was about to chunder.  I freewheeled most the down hills, pedalling the in between the up and down stuff.  Eventually I was back at Hartlbury where Peter  confirmed me as DNF.  Offers of food and drink but I just needed to sleep.  I was more scared of trying something and throwing up to be honest. So I went straight to bed in an empty dorm.  I was shivering under a blanket and my teeth were chattering away. I think my teeth were sending out an ailing "help me, help me..." in morse code.   I heard noises of faster riders coming in around 10pm, a couple of whom came into the dorm I was in and snored loudly (great).

Shortly after midnight I got up and had a couple of slices of toast and some juice before returning back to bed.  I was recovering bit by bit now my body had a chance to cool and rest.  I think it was Wobbly who was asking about back up plans for a 600, and PBP qualification.  I was kind of the mind to say sod it at the time, and just go out to Rambouillet, see the start, then spend a few days drinking till everyone came back.  Sorry if my replies were a bit short.  I'm not the best at those type of questions, when in the state I was in, and it can feel like an interrogation. As I said at the time it's not the right time to be asking (or answering) that question.

At 3am I got up for breakfast. Drew was there having decided to pack as well and was tucking into beans of toast.  I sat with him and went for beans and toast as well with black tea.  I could easily taste the essential salt in the beans.  He had set off back just a few minutes behind me.  At least there was one person on the road as slow as me. A very minor consolation. Drew was telling me about his PBP where he rode with Steve Abraham on the triplet. They were the fastest thing on the road which they turned into massive sleeps and rest at the controls. Great stuff. Jasmin Muller came out from the dorm wrapped in a blanket and sat at our table. She was warm when riding, but cold whilst stopped. She talked about training your gut, and we talked a little about how the weather had been on RATN.  About 3:45am I set off into the pre dawn light.   My GPS took a while to load the south bound track and in the end I turn it on and off which seemed to sort it out. Whilst stationary waiting for the GPS to be ready (Wobbly) checked on me again, my PBP 600 qualifier plans, and then I was off.

The night was a nice temperature, I was  trundling along ok. I say trundling rather than riding as I was trying to keep my effort levels down, and not sweat at all.    I could take in water again, and eat crisps, so the little over 6 hours of rest had done some good.   Jasmin Muller said "Hi, you ok" as she flew past on her impossibly lightly loaded setup.   More and more fast riders passed looking impossibly fresh and probably wondering how on earth someone going as slowly as I was could have been ahead of them.  The hills through the Cotswolds seemed steeper heading south. I walked the steeper bits whenever I felt my efforts levels sharply climbing. The headwind which was fairly light pre dawn steadily increased as the day woke up. A worker in hiviz on an Elephant bike with drum brakes and sturmey archer gears overtook me up on long hill. Oh the ignominy!  Eventually Broadwell turned up where I slowly ate a bacon roll with tea. 

I was still riding slowly, walking many hills, and queasiness was never that far away.  The temperature was now also climbing even in the early morning.   Andy Preston sat and chatted a while and mentioned that he thought there was a train station near by that could get me to Oxford and from there to Maidenhead.  A bit of map lookup and they gave me directions to the nearest station. It was too tempting and the prospect of another 100km as it warmed up again, possibly followed by heavy rain did not entice me to continue riding; for what purpose?

Andy, looked up the next trains, and said you could easily make the station in 30 mins (to catch the next one) but I allowed a couple of hours (to get a later train) given my state! Andy pointed me at the dorm for some rest an they would wake me in time to ride for the later train.  The train journey went well and I found another rider who had abandoned further north when I boarded the train (at Oxford) for Reading.    I was pleased with the station staff who had got me a bike reservation 8 minutes before the train rolled in.  From Reading it was a 2 stop local train to Maidenhead.

From Maidenhead it was about a 2 mile ride initially down the A308 then left into Bray.  Easy navigation, and I was back at Bray by 3pm; to see Jasmin Muller just leaving.  My appetite was back at Bray and I tucked into the soup, freshly baked bread, sandwiches, scotch eggs, and washed it down with the different fruit juices.  Fatigue came back in waves and I pulled out a mattress onto the stage where the bags were. Think I managed four shifts on it.  Eating in between sleeping.   As the day wore on riders turned up increasingly soggy and fatigued from the wind and rain.

I had to wait for Howard my passenger from the morning.  As time ticked towards the deadline I rode out and retrieved the car and put it in the village car park. It ticked over into the last few minutes; Neil came in with a couple of woman, they mentioned, when I asked if they had seen Howard, that a rider had come off his bike, but they didn't know their name. I found out from Danial that Howard had got the dozies about 6am on Sunday and come off his bike.   Danial had confirmed he'd seen him at Appleford and that Howard was on a mission to finish.   Tables and chairs were now being put back in storage. Time ticked onwards and John Sabine rolled in.  Soup and bread and then it was time for him to head off to the station. As he talked about the ferry crossing for Paris, I didn't tell him at the time that I'd abandoned, I'd had enough of the questions from earlier riders about my PBP intentions, and didn't want to spoil the mood of his hard fought for finish.

I'd decided that I would drive back out along the route if Howard did not turn up by 11:45pm.  It was a long wait as he arrived right on the time limit, 11:30pm. Howard was battered and bruised, his face was was swollen and cut, he had properly crashed when he fell asleep on the bike, broken his helmet in four places, bloodied knees, his ribs hurt, ripped his jacket.  Seriously battered and bruised, but he'd made it.

After a quick drink and grabbing some cake it was time to drop Howard back at his home, then home for myself.  We walked round to the car and I lifted Howard's bike onto my tow bar mounted bike rack.  He wasn't able to lift the bike.   Whenever we hit a pothole in the dark Howard winced.  But soon enough we were on the Motorways and speeding home in light but no empty traffic.  We talked about his crash and the time leading up to it, and what he did after, pulling over if he ever felt he was feeling sleepy again.  Howard then fell asleep not suprising even without this injuries.  I turned the music up to keep me alert, Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon, appropriate. Eventually I dropped Howard off at his home, took his bike upto his house, and we said our good nights.  Another 20 mins and I was home, for a shower, milkshake then bed.

I'd noticed when putting Howards bike on and off the rack that the rear wheel was jammed against the frame. Hopefully just a loose quick release or something.  What an eventful weekend.  Bravo to all who took part and finished.

A nights rest, and morning to ponder and I have decided I will be trying to complete my 600 qualifier for PBP.  So three weeks time I will be on Fenland Friends 600.  Probably on the recumbent.  Meanwhile I'm going to ponder my rehydration strategy and think I am going to have to go back to having electrolytes in my water and carry some sachets of diorlyte. 

Thanks for a great event, sometimes things just don't work out for riders.  I'm much more sanguine about it these days.  First time I ever quit an audax I was in tears and my emotions were all over the place.

Thanks for all the kind words and checks I was ok from those I met when suffering.

« Reply #244 on: 03 June, 2019, 02:16:36 pm »
Thanks for writing that up Phil. What an experience, and chapeau for getting through all that and coming away with some positives.

I manage to get through hot rides by drinking lots, and taking additional stops to cool down out of the sun ... usually involving a pint of lemonade and crisps or peanuts. Your thoughts on using electrolytes and carrying diorlyte sounds sensible.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #245 on: 03 June, 2019, 02:17:35 pm »
I think it was Wobbly who was asking about back up plans for a 600, and PBP qualification.  I was kind of the mind to say sod it at the time, and just go out to see the start then spend a few days drinking till everyone came back.  Sorry if my replies were a bit short.  I'm not the best at when in the staet I was in, and it can feel like an interrogation. As I said at the time its not the right time to be asking (or answering) that question.

Sorry Phil. Guilty as charged, Squire.

I was unsettled at seeing you (and Drew) DNF'ing - it's not in the natural order of things - so my "cheerful chap" persona was not appropriate. I shall try to learn from that experience.

« Reply #246 on: 03 June, 2019, 02:18:25 pm »
... grabbed some cake for my stem cell ...

are you growing a miniature version of yourself?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #247 on: 03 June, 2019, 02:19:43 pm »
I suggest somebody check Howard's bike for frame buckles (behind the lugs on the top and down tubes, if this is a lugged frame).

Great write-up!

Sorry you didn't finish!

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #248 on: 03 June, 2019, 02:58:49 pm »
So that was Howard. He came to us at Broadwell, Somewhat battered, quick hot nosh, refused dressings etc. Left with about 10 mins to spare with a word of encouragement, face set in stone for the mission. Chapeau.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #249 on: 03 June, 2019, 03:04:07 pm »
That was tough!  But worth it  :thumbsup:

First up — thank you to all the volunteers who were super cheery and super helpful all the way around — on the return they were even more helpful, because I managed to sneak into the lull between the speedsters and the bulge and had at least one control entirely to myself for a few minutes!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I got around in just over 36 hours — 15 hours to the turn, but worked just a little too hard to get there in the humidity and didn't have much in the way of legs all the way back, plus a couple of longer stops to snooze.  Finished with a flourish turning almost-evens, flattered by a tailwind.  Hydration was a significant issue and I was on the verge of a bad moment at Appleford on the return, but it passed after a jug of juice.

As always on full-service events, the standard portions are waaaay too big, and so I was on half-portions all the way around, often only single-course, so sorry if someone wanted a whole slice of Wobbly's tipsy cake, but only got a half — my fault  ;)  Even on half-portions I felt over-full and ready to burst on the final leg back to Bray — I wasn't low on energy at any point, just low on power back up the hills. 

I would like to commend the tomato and lentil soup at Hartlebury, and the carrot soup at arrivée — if anyone wants to share recipes, PM me ;)  The sausages with gravy at Lilleshall were top-notch, too, as was the crumble and custard.  And the availability of salad to decorate a cheese sandwich in Appleford on the return was wonderful — on these long adventures, the simpler things can just unexpectedly hit the spot.  I would've loved to have some of the bacon at Broadwell, but I can't digest it on the bike, but the breakfast you gave was super — my first food of the day.  Edit: and someone just reminded me of the delicious hot sausage rolls at Christleton, too.  Somewhere I picked up a slice of Millionaire's Shortbread (Christleton?) for the saddlebag that was amazing.  Wobbly's cake can only ever be a one-off — my line was somewhat ragged after that ...

Great to see the usual rascals, plus well met a few more  :thumbsup: 

Even with all the riders on the road, I managed to ride almost the whole way back on my own, mostly without anyone passing me either, which was weird, as I was slow.  Just the end of the final stage I rode in with Glen, to complete his first SR.

Thank you to Danial for doing the long-game and masterminding the event  :-* :thumbsup:

And thank you once again to all the volunteers — you are the ones that make full-service just that, and your cheeriness to counter our weariness is so unbelievably welcome  :-* :thumbsup:

My rather longer, less succinct write up with photos is on Strava.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...